CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-20-2014, 04:42 AM   #11
Eric R Cohen

Profile:
Re: Average Joe vs the Elite few - when do we know we are good at something?

Not to mention the many of those doing 8 minute Fran's are not posting their times. Mostly those who are proud of their sub 4 min or whatever are going to post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Neumeyer View Post
From Beyond the Whiteboard; out of 21,848 total results for RX between men and women (number on the left is the percentile) so 4:00 would put you just above the 50th percentile for those men doing RX. Keep in mind that these are skewed a bit towards higher level crossfitters; and it's only for those doing RX - so including all RX and non-RX you are likely well above average.

Prescribed
Men Women
(mins) (mins)
99 1:43 1:57
95 2:09 2:30
90 2:27 2:52
80 2:53 3:23
75 3:04 3:36
60 3:41 4:13
50 4:05 4:39
40 4:36 5:05
25 5:32 6:00
20 5:59 6:28
Old 08-20-2014, 04:36 PM   #12
Steve M Herman

Profile:

Alex this is why I love the CF Open workouts. You have the ability to compare 5 workouts with diverse movements to tens of thousands of people. In general the people that enter the Open are probably a bit above average as a whole, but I think its a decent comparison. What you can't get from the Open scoreboard is demographic info if you wanted to compare yourself to a similar age group.

At my gym I am in the middle of the pack to above average at the metcons and that plays out when I look at my Open workout scores too. I'm more in the above average to top scores on the strength area, but in general I would say my gym isn't full of ex college athletes either.

I recently got 2 reps at a 250 pound overhead squat and all I thought about was that my one rep max must be close to 275. I'm as good as Chris Spealer!!! Except I weigh about 60 pounds more than him
Old 08-21-2014, 12:28 AM   #13
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M Herman View Post
Alex this is why I love the CF Open workouts. You have the ability to compare 5 workouts with diverse movements to tens of thousands of people. In general the people that enter the Open are probably a bit above average as a whole, but I think its a decent comparison. What you can't get from the Open scoreboard is demographic info if you wanted to compare yourself to a similar age group.

At my gym I am in the middle of the pack to above average at the metcons and that plays out when I look at my Open workout scores too. I'm more in the above average to top scores on the strength area, but in general I would say my gym isn't full of ex college athletes either.

I recently got 2 reps at a 250 pound overhead squat and all I thought about was that my one rep max must be close to 275. I'm as good as Chris Spealer!!! Except I weigh about 60 pounds more than him
Exactly.... I found this to be a great help and inspiration

Some of the events in the CF games are also great to compare too, they are solid examples of times at the top.

More of this I think will inspire people to try that little bit more...

Being as good as Chris Spealer is never a bad thing even if this is in one movement... its the feeling that you are that good
Old 08-22-2014, 05:52 PM   #14
Chris Mason

Profile:

You know you are good if you know what competitive times, lifts etc. are and you are close to, at, or above them.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #15
Dakota Base

Profile:

A few respondents here have suggested that people that post their results online are more apt to be higher level athletes on average, but I'm not 100% convinced that such is the case.

There are a lot of folks that simply want to take part in Crossfit, and the type of mentality is prone to come to Crossfit is prone to post their info online too.

There's also a VERY large subset of terribly conditioned non-athletes that are "couch to _____" types that have come to Crossfit, and they're prone to post up online to illustrate their progress as they grow.

Sure, people that go online about any topic are prone to be more interested in that topic than the average person, so centralized sites like Beyond the Whiteboard can have a selection bias or voluntary involvement bias, but I'd be interested to see what the extreme spread, standard deviation, and distribution curve of certain workouts look like.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:15 PM   #16
Lance Neumeyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Base View Post
A few respondents here have suggested that people that post their results online are more apt to be higher level athletes on average, but I'm not 100% convinced that such is the case.

There are a lot of folks that simply want to take part in Crossfit, and the type of mentality is prone to come to Crossfit is prone to post their info online too.

There's also a VERY large subset of terribly conditioned non-athletes that are "couch to _____" types that have come to Crossfit, and they're prone to post up online to illustrate their progress as they grow.

Sure, people that go online about any topic are prone to be more interested in that topic than the average person, so centralized sites like Beyond the Whiteboard can have a selection bias or voluntary involvement bias, but I'd be interested to see what the extreme spread, standard deviation, and distribution curve of certain workouts look like.
Good point, Dakota; and I'd say I fall into that couch to ___ category - I track everything. However, the reason why I said those numbers I posted from BTWB are skewed is that those are only for the people that did the wod RX'd. That obviously leaves out the large % of people that scale the workout (also leaves out the ones that scale UP as well, but there are far fewer of those).
Old 08-26-2014, 12:35 AM   #17
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Neumeyer View Post
Good point, Dakota; and I'd say I fall into that couch to ___ category - I track everything. However, the reason why I said those numbers I posted from BTWB are skewed is that those are only for the people that did the wod RX'd. That obviously leaves out the large % of people that scale the workout (also leaves out the ones that scale UP as well, but there are far fewer of those).
I think no matter if you RX'd it or scaled it, it is interesting to know.

If the CF homepage for WODs had some type of app that could keep track of WODs it would be great to see if we are average or not.

Its just as tough for those that scale it that RX any WOD.