CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-31-2006, 02:51 AM   #1
Joe Celso

Profile:
I was hoping one of the intelligent nutritional/physiology types here (I'm a bean counter) could tell me something about these drinks and their place in sport. Not having the science or knowledge base behind me... I am simply of the opinion that drinks like red bull and monster are simply not good for you, even dangerous, when used to provide/replenish energy needed for sport. Can someone back me up here with the "why?" I see too many people at the races drinking this stuff (marketed heavily towards us) and I don't want to see someone have a heart attack.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:06 AM   #2
Frank M Needham

Profile:
I'm no expert but the sugar content is horrendous, some of those drinks have 30gr/oz or more of sugar in them. That alone is a huge strike against them. Quite a few also have mega-doses of caffeine. No wonder you get amped on them and why they're so popular. To me, they're just a cheap source of false energy.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:45 AM   #3
John Bickel

Profile:
The British have started looking into Red Bull.

Their initial recommendations:
e) they should not be consumed in association with sport and exercise as a thirst quencher
f) they are unsuitable rehydration agents for use in sport and during exercise

They are also recommending to further investigate possible adverse effects of interactions between stimulant drink ingredients such as caffeine and taurine, and between such ingredients and alcohol, particularly under conditions of exercise and consequent dehydration through sweating.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland...red_bull.shtml

+++++++++
My personal experience. Back before Red Bull was in the USA, I spent spring break in central Europe. To keeping clubbing one night, we decided to switch from beer to this new energy drink, Red Bull. It kept us going that night, but we had the worst hang-overs the next day. Most of us never touched it again. The few that did,always had bad hang-overs the next morning.

The stuff is just too harsh on one's body.

Old 07-31-2006, 01:16 PM   #4
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I use them occationally when I really need to stay awake, never for working out. I hate the fact that I need them (I wish I could get more sleep), but I figure 1 a week isn't going to kill me.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:10 PM   #5
Rob Barnum

Profile:
while I have the occasional cup of Joe before a workout, I've always avoided these "energy" drinks...I read, at one point, that the sugar intake makes the workout less effective. Not sure if that's true, but it's been enough to keep me away from them.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:14 PM   #6
Rob Barnum

Profile:
Also, Google has a luke-warm answer with some research -
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=92629
Old 07-31-2006, 02:26 PM   #7
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Whatever you do, don't drink Red Bull and alcohol at the same time. I speak from experience.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:28 PM   #8
Charles Steven Ossenheimer

Profile:
Jager bombs are amazing Yael!!
Old 07-31-2006, 03:42 PM   #9
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Stimulants and relaxants do not mix!!!!
Old 07-31-2006, 05:18 PM   #10
Michael Leach

Profile:
i'll take an energy drink over an alcoholic one anyday. i know they're both bad for me, but i'd rather get a hyper buzz than a sluggish one.

besides theres nothing better than doing ninja rolls and handstands at a party whilst everyone else is drunk and acting a fool. ;)

like the other guy said, in an ideal situation with proper sleep and eating habits, i dont need caffeine, but when you're running on a few hours of sleep and you've gotta stay awake all day and get stuff done. hey, at least its better than cocaine! haha ;)