CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-15-2008, 11:42 PM   #1
Antun Karlovac

Profile:
Suggestions on scaling upcoming DL/burpee workout

I've generally stopped scaling the weights on most WODs, but I think I'll have to scale down the upcoming deadlift/burpee one:
  • It calls for 5 sets of 5 275lbs DLs (followed by 10 burpees)
  • My recent set of 3 deadlifts maximum was 295lbs. (That was 5 sets of 3 DLs). Keep in mind: I built-up to that weight.
  • I've never pulled over 300lbs on a deadlift. My previous PR was 295 for a single rep.
  • I weigh 165lbs.

Anyone know what the 275 rx'd weight is based on? e.g. is it based on a someone with a maximum single-rep DL of 405, 315...?

Thanks,

Antun
Old 12-16-2008, 12:47 AM   #2
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:
Re: Suggestions on scaling upcoming DL/burpee workout

The rx'ed weight is based on bad-asses like Speal who can do the WOD as rx'ed in 2.44 despite weighing only 135lbs

I'm the same weight as you and my 1RM/3RMs are broadly comparable (1RM is 320lbs currently) to yours so this might be useful. I've done this one twice, once at 165lbs (all the weight I had at the time), then again today at 220lbs. 220lbs was tough but doable. It felt about as bad as the burpees, which is the general guideline I use for scaling these things - none of the exercises should feel like a 'rest'. My time was about 2 mins slower at the higher weight, so using more weight might have turned this into a grind-fest. Both were great workouts.

For reference, the Brand X scaling is as follows. Jeff knows what he's doing.

http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index....ewthread/5617/

Big Dawgs
as Rxd

Women

The Porch:
Five rounds for time of:
205 pound Deadlift, 5 reps
10 Burpees

Women

Pack:
Five rounds for time of:
135 pound Deadlift, 5 reps
10 Burpees

Women

Puppies:
Four rounds for time of:
45-65 pound Deadlift, 5 reps
10 Squat Thrusts

Buttercups:
Three rounds for time of:
25-45 pound Deadlift, 5 reps
10 Squat Thrusts
Old 12-16-2008, 02:01 AM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Antun, at the games I was very concerned about this WOD since I had only picked up a BB that Wednesday before the games to do a mini sort of CFT. I hadn't lifted really in over 6 months, perhaps lifting a couple of times ( max weight probably be around BW since that's all I had access to ).

So coming in that saturday morning while preparing for that first WOD ( which was the DL/burpee WOD that I had chosen [ in retrospect I should have chosen Fran-ish ]). I practically didn't sleep that night besides us getting on site early enough. After a WU, sub 200 was trying and I was doubtful even after DL 255. When I registered, I wondered if I should have asked for 225 or the women's weight but I said **** it and told them standard weight.

I'm thinking because of the adrenaline pump the weight really wasn't a problem. In fact, the burpees sucked way more. I had never DL that weight 5x, much less 5x5 especially coupled with the burpees. Time was 6:21 or sometin, very similar to my run time. Both were under 6:30.

If you're gonna do this WOD in a group maybe you'll get that adrenaline high or if you can activate it somehow.

If not, try 225. You could look up a weightlift calculator and guage it if you like. 5x275 is probably 320ish 1rm. I weighed around 165 then and that's what I'm around now.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
James Withington

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormac O'Connor View Post
The rx'ed weight is based on bad-asses like Speal who can do the WOD as rx'ed in 2.44 despite weighing only 135lbs

I'm the same weight as you and my 1RM/3RMs are broadly comparable (1RM is 320lbs currently) to yours so this might be useful. I've done this one twice, once at 165lbs (all the weight I had at the time), then again today at 220lbs. 220lbs was tough but doable. It felt about as bad as the burpees, which is the general guideline I use for scaling these things - none of the exercises should feel like a 'rest'. My time was about 2 mins slower at the higher weight, so using more weight might have turned this into a grind-fest. Both were great workouts.
I think you've hit the nail on the head there. I tried this one for the first time yesterday and went as Rx'd. In hindsight I wish I'd gone 5-10kgs lighter on the deads, as after the first two rounds I was reduced to pulling singles for every DL rep. It got to the point where I was actually looking forward to the burpees each round as the DLs were kicking my ***!

It ended up feeling like a 'grind-fest' of heavy deadlifts with a few burpees thrown in as an afterthought, which is clearly not the intended effect of this workout. I wasn't even particularly gassed at the end of it, I was just in pain in my lumbar ES.

I think you're definitely better off loading this one too light and blasting through it super-quick than going too heavy and having to grind through slowly. You'll get a bigger met-con hit that way.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
Antun Karlovac

Profile:

Thanks for the tips guys. I think I'll try 220 for this one. I'll try the weight once and see how it feels. If it feels too light, I'll add more.

Looking forward to it - it'll be my first WOD as a 31/M/5'9"/165.

-Antun
Old 12-16-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Yep, my lower back definitely tighted up after doing it. I had stupidly done that mini CFT the wed before that caused it to get tight and I forgot my roller when leaving the house. An ART ball helped a little. It was the burpees that were the suckage and turned into floppity messes which really surprised me.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:17 PM   #7
Daniel Gam

Profile:

try doing it at the women's weight and see if you can beat libby!