CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:21 PM   #1
Eva Bigongiari

Profile:
What is the criteria for the heroes?

After sadly seeing the new Hero WODs, I was wondering about those guys. How were they chosen to have WODs named after them? What is Coach's criteria for that? "Murph" was an obvious choice because of his MoH, but what other qualities are we looking for? Does someone who is KIA had to have been a crossfitter to qualify for a WOD? This is not a criticism, just something that I'm curious about.
A friend of mine, LCPL Roger Dale Castleberry, Jr., was killed in Iraq 2 years ago. He was one of six Marine snipers ambushed in Haditha on 1 August 2005. Dale volunteered for just about every mission that went outside the wire. From what we were told, his sniper skills saved a lot of lives. Dale wasn't a crossfitter, but I know that had he known about Crossfit he would have loved it. I would like to nominate his name for a WOD. Actually, maybe I'll just make one up myself. I'll think on it and post it when I get it together. He loved swimming, so a swimming component would be appropriate. But I don't have access to a pool, so I wouldn't be able to properly do the WOD in his name. Or maybe something specific to the snipers would be good. Hmmm. . . Oh well, I'll have to work on it. If anyone knows any background on these Hero WODs, I'd appreciate the info.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:33 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: What is the criteria for the heroes?

E-mail CFHQ about it.. I'm kind of curious as well. I'm pretty sure most of them were CFers or did something like CF or knew the CF community in some way, but I would like to know the official reason too.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:29 AM   #3
Tom Brose

Profile:

Eva, sorry to hear about your loss.

I believe all of them were specifically doing CrossFit. Of course there are tons of heroes out there that do not do our workouts, and all of them deserve our respect. One of my friends, Sgt Zack Tellier was killed in Afghanistan, and I mentioned this to Coach Glassman. He did ask if he had been a CrossFitter, as all of those posted had been.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
Randy Nelson

Profile:

You guys come up with a workout for your personal hero and I'll do them.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:22 PM   #5
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

I suppose you could always have local affiliates (if you got their support) come up with their own local Hero workouts. I think HQ would love to make a workout for each and every soldier who's died serving this country (and probably our allies as well), but that's a lot of people, especially considering it probably wouldn't be "right" to just name them after soldiers from Iraq and Afghanistan, they would then probably have to include Desert Storm, WWII, you name it... It would just get too out of control.

It's not like they don't all deserve to be remembered, but it's just impossible to honor them all, even one day at a time.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:14 AM   #6
Eric Lester

Profile:

Did anyone find an answer to this? I always assumed the soldiers were Crossfitters, but am curious to know if this is correct.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:46 AM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Brose View Post
Eva, sorry to hear about your loss.

I believe all of them were specifically doing CrossFit. Of course there are tons of heroes out there that do not do our workouts, and all of them deserve our respect. One of my friends, Sgt Zack Tellier was killed in Afghanistan, and I mentioned this to Coach Glassman. He did ask if he had been a CrossFitter, as all of those posted had been.
Eric you must have not been paying attention!
Old 12-26-2007, 08:02 AM   #8
Eric Lester

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Eric you must have not been paying attention!
Woops, I missed the last phrase after the comma. Guess I better read slower, thanks, Steven!
Old 12-26-2007, 08:50 PM   #9
Tom Brose

Profile:

Randy, thank you for the support. We will do a workout for Zack soon, and I will let you know. Appreciate it.