CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-22-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
Josh Gilfillan

Profile:
I live in Brisbane and would like to purchase rubber coated olympic plates - the ones with 50mm holes. Any ideas on where to buy from? Cheapest price i've found is $4.50/kg.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:10 PM   #2
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Do you want rubber coated or bumpers?

Big difference between the two.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:09 PM   #3
Josh Gilfillan

Profile:
Bumpers are the ones that bounce right? I just want standard rubber coated weights - the ones that most of the gyms have.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
The ones most gyms have are crap.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:45 AM   #5
Matthew Swift

Profile:
Hey Josh, Hart Sports have the rubber coated plates, the url is (Work/family safe) www.hartsport.com.au they have a warehouse in Brisbane and the frieght is reasonable.

Hey Don, where do you get your bumpers from?? I have the pricelist from Aussie Barbell but they look very expensive, I am looking for a cheaper option. Also need to chat to you about kettlebells at some stage, Cheers,
Matt
Old 02-24-2007, 09:42 AM   #6
Troy Archie

Profile:
Man, there's a place that has a pretty sweet Oly set up near you. It's at the Tallebudgera Community Center, Currumbin Gold Coast QSL. Check it out. I even have a pic. I stopped in there for a WOD one day and was blown away. They had JUST about everything. The only thing the place didn't have was a pull-up bar, sort of an ironic travisty I suppose.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:46 PM   #7
Don Stevenson

Profile:
I get my bumpers from my coach. Basically i hang around looking sad and undertrained whenever he is throwing out old plates and i generally get them pretty cheap or free.

Failing that however you can get decent 15 to 25 kg plates from http://www.buffalosports.com.au/ but don't buy the 10's they are a bit fragile.

Also call Aussie barbell and ask if they have any factory seconds. I talked to them last year and they said that they don't advertise them but often they've got ex demo or very slightly underweight (20-50grams) bumpers that they sell for a discount.

I can also make enquiries through my coach about plates cause he imports eleiko and uesaka but expect to pay in the vicinity of $20 per kilo for top quality bumpers.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:53 PM   #8
Sam Cannons

Profile:
I have this problem aswell, when i tried asking around at local sports stores (amart/rebel) they didnt know what either olympic plates or bumpers were ! Fiona were did you source yours in NQ ?

Thankyou
Old 02-25-2007, 09:21 PM   #9
Josh Gilfillan

Profile:
Thanks Matt I think i'll go with Hart. Still planning to have the PT session for the o-lifts with you too, just hard fitting everything in. Do you work weekends?
Old 02-26-2007, 03:23 PM   #10
Matthew Swift

Profile:
Thanks Don, LOL at the "look sad and untrained" ... that was very funny. Good tip about the seconds at Auusie barbell Co, I'll give them a call.

Josh, I usually work until about lunch time on a Sat, although I am trying to limit it to just the CF session in the morning and reclaim some weekend time. We could do a session after the regular CF session if that suits, or for a one-off maybe a Sunday arvo. Send me an email when you are ready and we'll work something out, Cheers,
Matt