CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 11-24-2008, 09:47 PM   #11
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:
Re: Muscle between shoulder blades hurting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
You don't foam roll the spine. You foam roll the muscles adjacent to the spine. Why would you foam roll a bone?
Probably some mis-communication here.

When I roll my back, I do it with the roller spanning across the back. I go from the low end of the thoracic to the upper. Avoid the lumbar and c-spine. Doing it this way, the roller is only in contact with muscle (lower traps primarily). No contact with the spine. Though there's no contact with spinal bones, I do frequently get the "crack" associated with chiropractic adjustment. And it almost always feels good.

To "roll the spine" you would have to position the roller vertically in the middle of your back. Why anyone would do that, I don't know...but I don't think that's what the previous poster meant by "rolling the spine."
Old 11-24-2008, 10:18 PM   #12
Donald Lee

Profile:

I find that the foam roller isn't dense enough to do much for the areas along the spine. I prefer a medicine ball or a lacrosse ball.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:34 PM   #13
Carter Jee

Profile:

i use a product called the theracane to give myself deep tissue massage in the areas in my back.

ice on the area helps reduce the swelling and inflammation (esp. after a workout like linda)..

it's a hell of a lot cheaper than going to a PT...

carter
Old 11-25-2008, 07:52 AM   #14
Wade Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S Johnson View Post
Probably some mis-communication here.

When I roll my back, I do it with the roller spanning across the back. I go from the low end of the thoracic to the upper. Avoid the lumbar and c-spine. Doing it this way, the roller is only in contact with muscle (lower traps primarily). No contact with the spine. Though there's no contact with spinal bones, I do frequently get the "crack" associated with chiropractic adjustment. And it almost always feels good.

To "roll the spine" you would have to position the roller vertically in the middle of your back. Why anyone would do that, I don't know...but I don't think that's what the previous poster meant by "rolling the spine."
You've corrected my miscommunication. I'm assuming most of us have enough back muscle that any rolling would ONLY come in to contact with muscle. +1 on the thoracic to the upper.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #15
Robert Shopshear

Profile:

I am surprised this thread is not current. I am suffering from sounds like this exact scenario.

Using a foam roller and lacrosse ball is great but only offers temporary help. After a few days it goes back to normal but I find that some light workouts will trigger it again. I did some light shoulder press and re-activated it. Wakes me up and night and actually seems to be worse with sleep and laying down. Walking around and sitting up actually feels better.

I am looking to check out a Chiro and have hesitated from PT since most of the time what they show me is nothing more than what I am already doing.

Good but not good to hear that other people have ran into this. Hoping I can get this knife out of my back.