CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 10-31-2008, 10:02 AM   #11
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:
Re: Tasting blood / coughing after hard workouts

Well i'm no doc but...

I get the same lump in throat, need to cough, kinda blood taste, in the back of my throat every time i do fran, sprint hard, or whatever.

I would be concerned if i actually saw red, but coughing up some phlegm after a hard wod hardly seems doc worthy.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:05 AM   #12
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd A Ferguson View Post
that are high in Iron (hence the metallic taste or smell) releasing gases into the lungs which intern you will exhale & smell or taste ‘blood’.
For anyone that starts coughing up actual blood go straight to the emergency room & get help.

care to explain to me how this DOESNT occurs with each breath? As o2 and co2 exchange are constant occurrence regardless of volume or saturation of hemoglobin its done instantly. Otherwise you would be tasting this all the time.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:13 AM   #13
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

Frank so you are saying its unnatural to get this sensation after pushing through a wod? And that we should seek medical attention? Or do you agree that only in the presence of actual blood
Old 10-31-2008, 10:19 AM   #14
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Going back to the op ..
coughing up blood.... NOT normal.... And IS LIFE threatening...

Moving max volumes of air in and out results in high volume moisture loss and drying out bronchus can occur.. the bronchus is a highly blood supplied tissue, it can result is micro rupture of surface vessels.. and you cough up blood tinged spit. But its gone in a moment.
Ask any smoker who has coughed for a jag and ended up hacking up a bloody ball.. once its okay.. twice its a concern... three its time to see a doc.

coughing up blood even occurs briefly with spontaneous pneunothroax .. sudden lung collapse that reinflate on their own as well.

sorry.. your coughing up blood... its serious and needs to be seen regardless of the instance.

tasting blood or copper.... well that could be a sign that your rupturing vessels in your gi tract and the gastric juices are breaking down the blood cells into simple components. If you puke it up.. it looks like coffee grinds in colour and make up but the smell is very much metallic. high levels of does cause gastric juice production, if the acid does have something to break down.. it will start breaking down tissue.

Is this life threatening... No unless your puking up a good deal of it... (whats a good deal... well you will know the difference between its nothing vs its bad) but over time, its going to lead to gastric reflex disease and anaemia.

Worth going to a Doc... if your coughing it up... yes you should. if your tasting it, it should be looked sooner vs later.

Last edited by Frank E Morel : 10-31-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:31 PM   #15
William Poehner

Profile:

ok, when I do interval sprints my throat hurts to the point were it takes me about 10-15 minutes to recover after a work out. Is this normal? Should I take it easy?

Ps. No taste or sign of any blood.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #16
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
Going back to the op ..
coughing up blood.... NOT normal.... And IS LIFE threatening...

Moving max volumes of air in and out results in high volume moisture loss and drying out bronchus can occur.. the bronchus is a highly blood supplied tissue, it can result is micro rupture of surface vessels.. and you cough up blood tinged spit. But its gone in a moment.
Ask any smoker who has coughed for a jag and ended up hacking up a bloody ball.. once its okay.. twice its a concern... three its time to see a doc.

coughing up blood even occurs briefly with spontaneous pneunothroax .. sudden lung collapse that reinflate on their own as well.

sorry.. your coughing up blood... its serious and needs to be seen regardless of the instance.

tasting blood or copper.... well that could be a sign that your rupturing vessels in your gi tract and the gastric juices are breaking down the blood cells into simple components. If you puke it up.. it looks like coffee grinds in colour and make up but the smell is very much metallic. high levels of does cause gastric juice production, if the acid does have something to break down.. it will start breaking down tissue.

Is this life threatening... No unless your puking up a good deal of it... (whats a good deal... well you will know the difference between its nothing vs its bad) but over time, its going to lead to gastric reflex disease and anaemia.

Worth going to a Doc... if your coughing it up... yes you should. if your tasting it, it should be looked sooner vs later.
Maybe I read something wrong but the OP did not say they coughed up blood. Just that they tasted it. This is very common in the short metcons. I am not a Dr. but if every CrossFitter went to the Dr. with the OP's problem the ER would be overrun with sweaty people wearing pukey t-shirts, do-wins and board shorts.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:45 AM   #17
Scott Diehl

Profile:

I did a Fran-ish workout today. 12 C&J, 21 CTB Pullups, 9 C&J, 15 CTB Pullups, 6 C&J, 9 CTB Pullups w/ 135# for the C&Js. Very intense metcon just like Fran. I, too, got the metallic "pennies" taste in the back of my mouth. This has happened to me every time I do Fran or Grace, so I feel like it's normal. Of course, not actually coughing out any blood. That would be a concern, methinks.
Cindy: 30 rds -- Murph: 27:21 -- Tabata Something Else: 445 -- Deadhang Pullups: 32 -- CFT: 1005
Old 04-27-2009, 11:01 AM   #18
Cathy Staelgraeve

Profile:

I've experienced this throughout my entire life also. I have never coughed up blood, but have had a cool, bloodlike taste in my mouth. Usually it will happen after sprints in a cold environment.

Many of my teammates over the years have also had this taste in their mouth. I just figured it was normal.

If you mention it to your doctor please keep us informed as to what they say.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:39 PM   #19
Bryce Harrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeMinico View Post
Celeste isn't saying anything about "coughing up blood". Just "tasting blood" (ever get that "pennies in my mouth" or back of throat feeling after a tough WOD?) And "coughing a lot". Tell me that you don't get a "fran cough" after doing Fran, and you're not trying hard enough.
Hahahahaaa!!! "Fran Cough".

I was just about to post that I've only experienced the involuntary coughing after my last Fran PR. The metallic taste...all the time.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:57 AM   #20
Greg Hunt

Profile:

I experienced this quite badly (for me) on saturday.

Been slightly under the weather with what I thought was hayfever, which I now suspect to be a cold/flu, and so was on decongestants and anti-histamines. I'd also had a few nosebleeds the day before. I also suffer from asthma. (reading this it sounds rather obvious that this was a bad idea...)

Did the deadlift-burpee workout from the CF game, and immedietly afterwards I felt really nauseous (normal), but was coughing up trace amounts of blood (slight red tinge) for about 15 minutes, and producing lots of saliva. Took me about an hour to feel normal again, and my asthma inhalers weren't doing much to help the constricted feeling on my lungs.

Did Lynne yesterday and felt fairly nauseous despite having plenty of rest, though max rep pull-ups can be a workout in themselves :S

Had a fever last night so I'm taking it easy today and tomorrow.