CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-04-2014, 08:26 AM   #1
Alex Thomas

Profile:
"paleo" - worth it or not?

is following a paleo-esque diet really worth it when trying to cut? I don't think it would be possible for me to follow a completely paleo diet with all the little rules & regulations... but more of something as simple as no grains, dairy, sugar, or legumes. I've tried it out for a week or so and I did lose a couple pounds but I'm sure that's just water weight since I haven't been eating my carb-filled oatmeal ()
I guess overall my question is would eating those things stated above inhibit me from lowering my bf% and making muscle gains?

Female-20-5'11-167 lbs- last I checked my bf% was about 18% but that was in November so I'm sure that's not accurate anymore.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:31 AM   #2
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: "paleo" - worth it or not?

The only reason that paleo is "worth it" is if you have food sensitivities to the foods that it excludes.

It isn't a bad diet or anything but it just isn't necessary for 99% of the population. If you are eating a balanced diet of mainly whole foods and avoiding a bunch of processed junk then there is no need to exclude foods for the sake of exclusion. If you want to cut weight just track your calories and lower them if you are not losing.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
Price Goosby

Profile:

The term "Paleo" has broadened over the years to at this point just meaning eating well, making sure you're including vegetables and not incorporating too many carbs or sugars, skipping the dessert menu when eating out every now and again. Cooking is one of my favorite things to do so restricting myself to only being able to do certain things just isn't an option in my mind. Portion control and nutrient abundance is all you need.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:18 AM   #4
Sarah Jenkins

Profile:

Paleo is an exclusionary diet without any scientific basis.
If you feel like you want to follow it, by all means.
in fact: Any diet with caloric deficit will help you to loose fat, establishment of correct macros (protein, carbs and fats) will help you to perform better and preserve some muscle mass.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
Koa Meador-Levy

Profile:

No

/thread
Old 02-05-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa Meador-Levy View Post
No

/thread
Very helpful, as usual.

Paleo is a good way to test and find out if you are in fact sensitive to the most common reaction-inducing foods - dairy, legumes (including peanuts), grains, etc.

It's also a decent way of tricking your body into being more comfortable in a caloric deficit.

Outside of that, there's not a whole ton of benefit to being strict paleo if you know the former and have control of your diet for the latter.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:35 PM   #7
Alex Thomas

Profile:

Thanks, I had essentially the same opinions as everything posted here but there are those paleo advocated out there.. thought it was worth a shot to ask other people's opinions. Some crossfitters make it seem as if you aren't paleo you're wasting your time so this reassures me I'm going to do okay with my oatmeal and brown rice!
Old 02-06-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
Joshua Ruwet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Paleo is a good way to test and find out if you are in fact sensitive to the most common reaction-inducing foods - dairy, legumes (including peanuts), grains, etc.

The way I recently had it explained during a Level 1 Trainer course is this: 30 days of essentially paleo ("garden vegetables, especially greens, lean meats, nuts and seeds, little starch, and no sugar") will give you a "clean lab" from which to experiment on your PERSONAL nutrition. After 30 days, add dairy back...how'd you do? Feel fine or sound like a freight train on the way to the bathroom? Add creatine (if using now)...how'd you do? Benefits? Etc, etc. When your diet is inconsistent, it is very difficult to ascertain what fuel (aka "food") is improving your output at the gym.

I think you can see what I'm getting at here, right?

BTW - Staying hydrated and getting adequate rest are on par if not more important than a paleoesque diet (IMO).
Old 02-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #9
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Ruwet View Post

The way I recently had it explained during a Level 1 Trainer course is this: 30 days of essentially paleo ("garden vegetables, especially greens, lean meats, nuts and seeds, little starch, and no sugar") will give you a "clean lab" from which to experiment on your PERSONAL nutrition. After 30 days, add dairy back...how'd you do? Feel fine or sound like a freight train on the way to the bathroom? Add creatine (if using now)...how'd you do? Benefits? Etc, etc. When your diet is inconsistent, it is very difficult to ascertain what fuel (aka "food") is improving your output at the gym.

I think you can see what I'm getting at here, right?

BTW - Staying hydrated and getting adequate rest are on par if not more important than a paleoesque diet (IMO).
I completely disagree with this theory until I see some sort of scientific research that shows removing something from your diet for 30 days and reintroducing it tells you anything about your sensitivity to it.

A friend of mine was vegetarian for a while and the moment she tried to eat chicken again (just grilled chicken, nothing fancy) she would get very sick to her stomach. It had nothing to do with her body being sensitive to chicken, it was just the simple fact that she had gone a decent amount of time without consuming any animal meat and her body was not used to it.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:33 AM   #10
Joshua Ruwet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
A friend of mine was vegetarian for a while and the moment she tried to eat chicken again (just grilled chicken, nothing fancy) she would get very sick to her stomach. It had nothing to do with her body being sensitive to chicken, it was just the simple fact that she had gone a decent amount of time without consuming any animal meat and her body was not used to it.
I think going without meat is very different from moving to the prescribed CrossFit methodology for nutrition. If I don't eat steak for awhile, I have a similar response.

As far as studies go, I'm no nutritionist and probably know just enough to be dangerous. I can say the "clean lab" method worked for me. Experientially and empirically, I was better able to determine what to eat pre and post workouts for the best results. I guess you could compare it to ice baths and compression clothing...research may not validate the use, but I am happy with the results.

To each their own.