CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-24-2013, 02:11 AM   #1
Jeff Sprunger

Profile:
"some fruit..." ???

let me get your opinion on something...

CrossFit prescribes certain eating habits and we have all heard it before: "eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, no sugar..."

my issue is: how much fruit?

today I ate/will eat: grapes: handful (15) at breakfast, 1 banana, and 2 small tangerines. (typical/similar of most days)

I don't consider this to be a lot of fruit, but some others think this is too much, especially for people trying to lose weight. I'm not on the losing weight track at the moment...

what do you think?
Old 01-24-2013, 05:40 AM   #2
Joshua Desmond

Profile:
Re: "some fruit..." ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Sprunger View Post

CrossFit prescribes certain eating habits and we have all heard it before: "eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, no sugar..."

today I ate/will eat: grapes: handful (15) at breakfast, 1 banana, and 2 small tangerines. (typical/similar of most days)

I don't consider this to be a lot of fruit, but some others think this is too much, especially for people trying to lose weight. I'm not on the losing weight track at the moment...

what do you think?
When trying to lose weight I'll try to limit my fruit and only eat a little post workout. As far as when I am in maintenance mode, if I want fruit I eat it, plain and simple.

If you are not trying to lose weight I'd say there is nothing wrong with your fruit intake. I usually have at least a banana and 2 apples a day, plus some grapes if we have them around.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:50 AM   #3
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:

what do you think?
Fruit is good for you. It can and should be eaten freely. And no, eating fruit will not prevent you from losing weight.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
Jeff Sprunger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Fruit is good for you. It can and should be eaten freely. And no, eating fruit will not prevent you from losing weight.
Hi Darryl,

what are you basing your answers on? I almost agree with you, but have read a ton on fruits and weight loss. fruits such as banans and apples are twice the amount of natural sugars as, say, berries...so, you would think that an excess amount may effect the amount of weight lost.

thoughts?
Old 01-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
Paulo Santos

Profile:

It is about calories (how much you eat), not really what you eat if you are trying to lose weight. People recommend that you limit your fruit and also nuts when trying to lose weight because fruit and nuts have a lot of calories. But if you track your calories, you can eat whatever you want just as long as you stay below your maintenance.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Agreed. yes alot of fruit are high in carbs. But we need carbs too. To little for to long is not good. Plus fruit it self won't throw off your diet unless you are already at your cal limit to loose weight.

Remember eating just under total cals is weight loss. Oh and different people react different to fruit and the sugars and carbs in it. I eat 3 to 6 bananas a day and struggle to keep my weight up some times. That is just me though. I seem to handle fruit well. Milk on the other hand... No good for me.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Hi Darryl,

what are you basing your answers on? I almost agree with you, but have read a ton on fruits and weight loss. fruits such as banans and apples are twice the amount of natural sugars as, say, berries...so, you would think that an excess amount may effect the amount of weight lost.

thoughts?
As this excerpt from Exercise Physiology: Energy, Nutrition and Human Performance by McArdle, Katch & Katch (6th ed. p.855 - 856) explains energy balance determines changes in body mass, not what you eat. So no food or macronutrient is intrisically more fattening or capable of preventing weight loss than another when comparing isocaloric servings.

"The first law of thermodynamics (often called the law of conservation of energy) posits that energy can be transferred from one system to another in many forms but cannot be created or destroyed. In human terms this means that the energy balance dictates that body mass remains constant when caloric intake equals caloric expenditure. Figure 30.15 shows that any chronic imbalance on the energy output or input side of the equation changes body weight.

There are three ways to unbalance the energy equation in order to produce weight loss:
1: Reduce energy intake below daily energy requirements.
2: Maintain caloric intake and increase energy expenditure through additional physical activity above daily energy requirements.
3: Decrease daily caloric intake and increase daily energy expenditure.

When considering the sensitivity if the energy balance equation, if caloric intake exceed output by only 100 kcal per day the surplus calories consumed in a year equal 36,500 kcal (365 days x 100 kcal), because 0.45kg (1 lb) of body fat contains 3500 kcal (each 1 lb (454g) of adipose tissue contains about 86% fat or 390g x 9 kcal/g = 3514 kcal per lb) this caloric excess causes a yearly gain of 4.7kg (10.3 lb) of body fat.
In contrast, if daily food intake decreases by 100 kcal and energy expenditure increases by 100 kcal, (e.g. by waling or jogging one extra mile each day), then the yearly deficit equals the energy in 9.5kg (21 lb) of body fat.

The previous arithmetic represents an overly simplistic accounting for fat accumulation because the diets composition affects the bodies efficiency in converting and storing excess calories as fat. Only about 3% of ingested lipids are lost when the body converts the calories to stored fat. In contrast 25% of carbohydrate calories "burn" during the conversion. Simply stated, the body synthesizes fat far more efficiently from dietary lipid than from any excess of carbohydrate. Whether shifting dietary composition toward higher carbohydrate content actually produces less body fat gain with a caloric excess remains unresolved."

As for fruits specifically, with the exception of avocados which are quite high in calories because of their relatively high fat content they are low in calories and quite filling. A large banana for example is only 121 kcals according to the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, and a large apple is just 116 kcals so it's really quite hard to ingest too many calories from fruit outside of an eating contest.

FAO.org - Carbohydrates in Human Nutrition: Carbohydrate Food Intake and Energy Balance.

*All links wfs*
Old 01-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Quote:
Absolutely disagree with this. I would say it should be limited to 2-3 pieces per day depending on the fruit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
It is about calories (how much you eat), not really what you eat if you are trying to lose weight. People recommend that you limit your fruit and also nuts when trying to lose weight because fruit and nuts have a lot of calories. But if you track your calories, you can eat whatever you want just as long as you stay below your maintenance.
Also disagree with this. IMO, quality of foods are as important as quantity. I am not saying that you cannot lose weight on twinkies, but just because you lost weight are you healthier?

I am not saying fruit is bad, but it should be limited due to sugar.

Like everything else, your goals determine your quality and quantity control.

Last edited by Joey Shishineh : 01-24-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
John Holcombe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shishineh View Post
Also disagree with this. IMO, quality of foods are as important as quantity. I am not saying that you cannot lose weight on twinkies, but just because you lost weight are you healthier?

I am not saying fruit is bad, but it should be limited due to sugar.

Like everything else, your goals determine your quality and quantity control.
I think the point he was trying to make is when it comes to weight loss it comes down to calories in vs calories out. Of course you're better off getting your 300 calories from some protein and veggies than a twinkie from a health standpoint, but you will still lose weight if you burn more calories than you eat day in and day out.

To address the OP, if you are trying to lose weight be mindful of the fact that fruit contains a good amount of sugar (and calories) and adjust the amount of calories you eat until you start seeing consistent weight loss. If you are trying to bulk up, I'd say go for plenty of fruit along with everything else
Old 01-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:

IF you're doing CF, you'll need the carbs, keep that in mind. Of course eating junk all the time is bad for you, so is intense exercise, but I'd rather enjoy junk food and intense workouts now than worrying about my health when I'm 80.