CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-13-2009, 07:46 AM   #11
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Re: "some" fruit - what do they mean?

If it works for you, do it. I can't remember where (probably CFJ), but I seem to recall Greg Amundsen gets a large proportion of his carbs from apples. Long ago, Dr. G. mentioned that 3-4 servings per day is probably a reasonable max.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:50 AM   #12
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Omar View Post
What works for us as in how/what. I mean. Im roughly taking as much fruits as vegtables. I wouldnt mind going to a 70%fruite to 30%vegtables. Im basically forcing my self to swallow every bite

How do we know what works for us. Mesuring work capacity, strentgh, or anything else in my case is propably useless since I started crossfit this year and set a PR on like 90 percent of all WODS.
See how you feel, which translates into performing better if you feel better. I've set PR's feeling like crap, but that doesn't mean just because I set a PR, that what I ate works. Why force yourself to eat healthy stuff you don't want to eat? If you like eating more fruit then go ahead, the only way you are going to stick to healthy eating habits is if you eat stuff you like. Of course, try new stuff but you don't have to force-feed yourself veggies.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:21 AM   #13
Steven Matheson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Poblocki View Post
Interesting...I never thought of it; I just assumed that it meant "fewer" portions of fruit per day when compared to veggies.
^^This. I usually try and get 4-5 servings of veggies for every one serving of fruit.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:56 AM   #14
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

What is wrong with mangos? Heh.
I rarely eat bananas because of the GI thing.. they can't be that bad! Are they?
Old 08-13-2009, 12:02 PM   #15
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Unless you are eating the banana alone, the GI is pretty meaningless anyway. Banana and peanut butter sandwiches for example probably have a moderate GI

I think how much fruit you eat is up to you and how fruit makes you feel. Some people find fruit not satisfying and veggies more filling etc.

I don't do the zone but I do eat a good amount of fruit. Like, maybe 3 - 4 fruits a day. Favorites are watermelon, grapefruits, berries and apples. Not a huge banana fan but if I'm making a smoothie I always throw one in, plus I eat them when biking/running.

I enjoy mango sometimes also, I buy the frozen mango chunks - those things are so good!
Old 08-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #16
Jason David

Profile:

I think of it at the end of the day when I ask myself what I ate.

Jason,
Did you eat a LOT of fruit today? Not a lot...Some.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:46 PM   #17
Markian Haluszka

Profile:

My general rule to make sure I balance fruits and vegetables appropriately: none of the former after 5PM.