CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-10-2008, 02:16 PM   #1
Robert Olajos

Profile:
"My Big Fat Diet" on CBC Newsworld

Tomorrow night at 10 pm ET (and 10 pm PT) (Tues March 11), The Lens on CBC Newsworld will air a documentary called, "My Big Fat Diet." This features Dr. Jay Wortman, who advocates that First Nations people return to a traditional diet (aka paleo) to combat diabetes and obesity. Dr. Wortman had about 100 people from the isolated British Columbia community of Alert Bay follow a paleo diet for a year, and the documentary explores the results. This from the webpage:

"Supersize Me meets Northern Exposure in My Big Fat Diet when a First Nations community off Vancouver Island gives up sugar and junk food, returning to a traditional style of eating for a year to fight obesity and diabetes. Together they'll lose over 1200 lbs and are now calling on other First Nations to take the weight loss challenge."

I listened to Dr. Wortman interviewed by Anna Maria Tremonte on The Current this morning. As we might expect, following a high fat, high protein, very low carb diet allowed these people (with a few exceptions to prove the rule) to lose weight, cut back on diabetes medications, and as a bonus get back in touch with their heritage. The diet they followed was adapted for 'modern hunting and gathering' in supermarkets, e.g. substituting beef for moose. Dr. Wortman stops short of advocating the diet for all people, but rather takes the scientific approach saying that this study indicates that a paleo diet can be beneficial for Native people with obesity and/or diabetes, and that more studies need to be done to explore the benefits for healthy Native people, or non-Native people in general.

Here are some WFS links:

http://www.cbc.ca/thelens/index.html
http://www.cbc.ca/thelens/bigfatdiet/wortman.html
http://www.drjaywortman.com/

Unfortunately I don't get CBC NW (on "country cable" here) so I'm hoping CBC posts it on the web afterward. Hopefully someone out there can watch and send in some thoughts.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:47 PM   #2
Emily Mattes

Profile:
Re: "My Big Fat Diet" on CBC Newsworld

This looks pretty awesome. I hope someone posts it on YouTube or someplace similar so the non-Canadians can watch it!
Old 03-10-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Olajos View Post
Tomorrow night at 10 pm ET (and 10 pm PT) (Tues March 11), The Lens on CBC Newsworld will air a documentary called, "My Big Fat Diet." This features Dr. Jay Wortman, who advocates that First Nations people return to a traditional diet (aka paleo) to combat diabetes and obesity. Dr. Wortman had about 100 people from the isolated British Columbia community of Alert Bay follow a paleo diet for a year, and the documentary explores the results. This from the webpage:

"Supersize Me meets Northern Exposure in My Big Fat Diet when a First Nations community off Vancouver Island gives up sugar and junk food, returning to a traditional style of eating for a year to fight obesity and diabetes. Together they'll lose over 1200 lbs and are now calling on other First Nations to take the weight loss challenge."

I listened to Dr. Wortman interviewed by Anna Maria Tremonte on The Current this morning. As we might expect, following a high fat, high protein, very low carb diet allowed these people (with a few exceptions to prove the rule) to lose weight, cut back on diabetes medications, and as a bonus get back in touch with their heritage. The diet they followed was adapted for 'modern hunting and gathering' in supermarkets, e.g. substituting beef for moose. Dr. Wortman stops short of advocating the diet for all people, but rather takes the scientific approach saying that this study indicates that a paleo diet can be beneficial for Native people with obesity and/or diabetes, and that more studies need to be done to explore the benefits for healthy Native people, or non-Native people in general.

Here are some WFS links:

http://www.cbc.ca/thelens/index.html
http://www.drjaywortman.com/

Unfortunately I don't get CBC NW (on "country cable" here) so I'm hoping CBC posts it on the web afterward. Hopefully someone out there can watch and send in some thoughts.
Thanks for the update on the show, unfortunately(or not) I got rid of my TV about 8 years ago. Do people still watch TV?
With all the great books/blogs to read, food to eat, exercises to perform, certs to attend, hobbies participate in, occasional wine and maybe sex, WHO has time for TV??
Old 03-10-2008, 03:59 PM   #4
Grant Scalf

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Thanks for the update on the show, unfortunately(or not) I got rid of my TV about 8 years ago. Do people still watch TV?
With all the great books/blogs to read, food to eat, exercises to perform, certs to attend, hobbies participate in, occasional wine and maybe sex, WHO has time for TV??
Cutting my TV intake down to 4 hours a week has seen significant improvement in my VO2 max, muscular endurance, vocabulary, and lurking on the CF message boards.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:16 PM   #5
Jack Gayton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Scalf View Post
Cutting my TV intake down to 4 hours a week has seen significant improvement in my VO2 max, muscular endurance, vocabulary, and lurking on the CF message boards.
The writer's strike and lack of ANY quality programming lately has actually turned into a positive for me. I've read books, read blogs and has Grant mentioned "lurked" on the boards..

I would like to catch this documentary however. If someone sees this one the web, please post the link..
Old 03-10-2008, 05:10 PM   #6
Scott Clark

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks for the update on the show, unfortunately(or not) I got rid of my TV about 8 years ago.
That's hardcore Jay! I thought I was doing good to have cut my cable off years ago and simply use rabbit ears for the 3 channels I get.

Rock on brother
Old 03-10-2008, 05:20 PM   #7
Robert Olajos

Profile:

"Country cable" is Canadian for rabbit ears. We get 2 channels, and CBC Newsworld ain't one of them. I'm a firefighter and I get my fill of TV at the station, where other people watch it religiously and I, well, do anything but.

For those who don't get CBC NW (American's with satellite might), you can listen to the interview I caught this morning online:

WFS and look down the right column for Listen Online.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:07 AM   #8
Sean McMaster

Profile:

You definitely have the right idea, Jay. We still have the tube for watching the occasional DVD, but we haven't had television programming in the house for over a year now and it's great. You don't really realize how much time you waste on it until you cut it out for a while. Now if only I didn't spend so much time online...

Sorry for the thread hijack.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:35 AM   #9
Chris Bigler

Profile:

I saw a brief piece about this doc on "The National" last night. It looked very zone/paleo, and I was consequently not shocked to hear how the people who took part in the study achieved rather impressive results. One misleading bit of info was that the subjects eliminated carbs from their diet...all while the footage showed them eating significant amounts of fresh vegetables. Clearly they meant that they eliminated or reduced the amount of processed, high GI carbs that they ate during the study.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:23 AM   #10
Paul McKirdy

Profile:

Quote:
haha! 8 years without cable television or anntenae of any kind. Just watch DVD's or listen to music while lifting reading etc. I even converted my "living room" into a real living room, i.e., a gym! . S.O. loves it also.

Hey for people looking for documentaries try investigating mininova.org for torrents. Not necessarily wfs due to some of the ads. Or just try googling documentary name + torrent.