CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-28-2008, 03:24 AM   #1
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
"Save Your Dairy" - Milk Check

I've brushed up on most of the milk threads (except the god-awful long one about "Gallon a Day").

I'm doing SS right now and have been sticking to the 1 gal a day thing for about 2.5 weeks -- gained weight, and am very happy. But I have since found a Raw Milk source literally within running distance of my house (and I can't run very far!). They're kind of pushy, and not a particularly friendly place, so I didn't press my luck with inquiring too much about it.

A few things I'm curious about:

1.) Price: Paid $17.50 for 2 gallons :\ No way I can afford to keep this up for 3-4 more weeks. Is that a legitimate price for raw cow's milk? They also had raw goat's milk.

2.) Quality: There's nothing advertised that states it is grassfed. Should I assume that it is grainfed?

3.) Source: I found this place through www.realmilk.org (w/f/s) using their location finder. It was my understanding that realmilk.org listed only certified, raw, grassfed milk sources. However on the bottles, comes a label that links to: www.saveyourdairy.com (w/f/s) as the source of the milk itself. I can't find anything on their site that implies grassfed animals, unless I'm totally blind and have missed it. It states Fresh, Pure and Organic but nothing about grassfed.

So...

I imagine that the difference between grainfed raw milk and grassfed raw milk is about as night and day as it is between grainfed and grassfed beef? Should I just skip the raw milk all together if it's grain fed?

For example, I could get grassfed ultrapasteurized for very cheap just at the local grocery store, if grassfed is indeed the way to go.

I'm trying to be both economical and healthy here, and not really sure of the whole story on milk.

Maybe my best option is to get "as good as I can" with the pasteurized, cheap milk, while I'm doing SS and a gallon a day. And then, when finished, maybe purchase the rest of my milk raw?

Just looking for some suggestions on what I really should be looking for -- price-wise and quality wise. I'm sold on the benefits of raw milk, but everything I've read about has talked 99% about grassfed raw milk and not grainfed.

Other than doing SS, my milk consumption is pretty minimal, so at some point in the future I could justify spending almost $9/gallon, provided that I'm only drinking about a gallon a week here and there.

On that note, the raw milk tastes like a petting zoo Definitely going to be an acquired taste, but I think I can dig it.

It's late, and I've already probably repeated myself like 10 times, so I'll cut myself short. Appreciate any input.

Edit: I did find this on the saveyourdairy site:

Quote:
Our cows are fed a completely organic diet of alfalfa hay, barley and other occasional additions as directed by a nutritionist who determines when they need dietary changes.
Is that basically "grass" ^ ? If so, other questions still stand

Edit 2: I also found this elsewhere on Google regarding the "Save Your Dairy" dairy farm.

Quote:
The cows are outside, but the land isn't big enough to permit grass grazing, so dried grasses like alfalfa are brought to the cows
Is dried grass going to be as good as grass found on pasture? How about Omega 3 content and that sort of thing? The SaveYourDairy site mentions that they're looking to buy a farm where their cows can actually graze... good for them! Supposedly it's a small, 35 cow dairy. I might just have to go visit these folks some day.

Anyways, enough rambling. I think you get the idea.

Last edited by Elliot Fuller : 03-28-2008 at 03:34 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:32 AM   #2
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
Re: "Save Your Dairy" - Milk Check

Dried grass is certainly better than corn. Grassfed of any description will have better fatty acid profiles that corn fed intensely farmed cows. In winter most cows will get hay or silage and a little top up food, i.e barley. The reason being that in winter even with outdoor space grazing isn't as good. That's also why summer milk tastes much better than winter milk. FYI I grew up on a dairy farm and while we weren't organic ( you didn't hear that term back then) we were low intensity, used a majority of natural fertilizer and animals were 95% grass fed.

The ultra pasteurized grassfed should give you good fatty acid profiles. It won't give you the some of the natural enzymes but I'm not 100% convinced of the benefits. I like that taste of raw milk (never noticed the petting zoo taste) but it is very difficult to get in London. Your milk source also sounds rather expensive.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:13 AM   #3
Sean McMaster

Profile:

There are a few farms near me who do cow-sharing programs (since it's illegal to sell raw milk in VA for human consumption). The cost usually comes to about 6 or 7 dollars per gallon, and you get about a gallon/week for every share you purchase.

Edit: The goat's milk around here is significantly more expensive. One place sells it for $24/gallon.

Last edited by Sean McMaster : 03-28-2008 at 06:14 AM. Reason: added info on goat's milk
Old 03-28-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
Kelly Moore

Profile:

The raw grassfeed cow's milk I purchase is $8 per gallon. It is delivered to Madison very close to where I live so I don't have to make the 3 hour trip to purchase the milk anymore.

When I had raw goat milk available, it was $9 per gallon.

I no longer have the breathing troubles or gut problems I used to have when drinking "normal" grocery store milk.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:47 AM   #5
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Lavin View Post
Dried grass is certainly better than corn. Grassfed of any description will have better fatty acid profiles that corn fed intensely farmed cows. In winter most cows will get hay or silage and a little top up food, i.e barley. The reason being that in winter even with outdoor space grazing isn't as good. That's also why summer milk tastes much better than winter milk. FYI I grew up on a dairy farm and while we weren't organic ( you didn't hear that term back then) we were low intensity, used a majority of natural fertilizer and animals were 95% grass fed.

The ultra pasteurized grassfed should give you good fatty acid profiles. It won't give you the some of the natural enzymes but I'm not 100% convinced of the benefits. I like that taste of raw milk (never noticed the petting zoo taste) but it is very difficult to get in London. Your milk source also sounds rather expensive.
Thanks. So you're saying that if I'm doing a gallon a day at the moment, it's probably in my best interest to just go with a pasteurized grassfed supply -- cheaper, with the benefits of grassfed, but without the extra stuff that everyone jumps for joy over, regarding raw milk. I think I can live with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McMaster View Post
There are a few farms near me who do cow-sharing programs (since it's illegal to sell raw milk in VA for human consumption). The cost usually comes to about 6 or 7 dollars per gallon, and you get about a gallon/week for every share you purchase.

Edit: The goat's milk around here is significantly more expensive. One place sells it for $24/gallon.
I believe it's illegal to sell here as well, outside of a cow share. I'm not sure exactly how this place is permitted to sell it to 3rd party consumers, but they weren't allowed to carry it up front (by request only; had to be brought out from the back). I didn't even bother looking at the goat's milk prices... just saw that it was out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Moore View Post
The raw grassfeed cow's milk I purchase is $8 per gallon. It is delivered to Madison very close to where I live so I don't have to make the 3 hour trip to purchase the milk anymore.

When I had raw goat milk available, it was $9 per gallon.

I no longer have the breathing troubles or gut problems I used to have when drinking "normal" grocery store milk.
I appreciate the testimonial as to the efficacy of drinking raw milk. Like I said, I'm pretty sold on the benefits, myself. Just can't figure out of the source I found was worth buying from in the long term, or if one can do better, as far as grassfed, raw milk goes.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Is there a big difference in the taste between the milk you find in a grocery store vs raw milk and goat's milk? I planned on doing SS but am uneasy of drinking a gallon a day, how much of the weight gain do you think was fat Elliot?
Old 03-28-2008, 07:19 PM   #7
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
Is there a big difference in the taste between the milk you find in a grocery store vs raw milk and goat's milk? I planned on doing SS but am uneasy of drinking a gallon a day, how much of the weight gain do you think was fat Elliot?
I haven't had goat's milk, so can't comment on that. As for the raw milk, I think it's a bad solution for Starting Strength, unless you're pretty well-off with your funding. I believe I'll stick to the organic, pasteurised grassfed stuff for now, at least while i'm doing SS.

As for the raw vs. store stuff. I notice a taste difference, but mostly in the after taste. Definitely can tell it came from a cow. I call it a "Petting Zoo" taste. Had some family try it out, and some didn't notice it, while others did. Either way, it's perfectly tolerable, and probably even good, after some time drinking it.

You don't need to drink a gallon of milk a day, provided that you're getting a relatively equivalent amount of calories, carbs, protein and healthy fats, from other sources (hard and expensive to do this without milk though).

I'm up about 10 pounds now (never thought I'd see the day!), and haven't lost my six pack, and am now at 3x5 of my previous 1RM on my squats. So naturally I imagine a good portion has been lean mass. I never had a BF% percentage test, but it really doesn't look like I've put on much flab. I really should have taken a BEFORE/AFTER photo set so I could notice the difference.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Plenty of evidence to go around though, that the milk helps