CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 03-24-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
Antun Karlovac

Profile:
Form check on C&Js

Hi all,

Yesterday I did 10 135lbs C&Js for time, and video'd myself:

http://www.vimeo.com/3829408 (wfs)

There's a couple of lighter warmup ones in there first, and not all 10 are on that video. I put title screens to make it easier to navigate. It's the first time I've done this for C&Js, so I expect there to be a bunch of problems. Just as an FYI, 135 is relatively heavy for me. My max C&J is 165.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Antun
Old 03-24-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
Adam Scheiner

Profile:
Re: Form check on C&Js

Sorry I don't have time to comment on it, but I will say this as just a tip to both you and everyone else who posts a video of their oly lifts for digital coaching. Please film it from a 45 degree angle. That way you can see what's going on from both the front and the side and you can get a much more thorough analysis of your technique.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
Steven Webster

Profile:

I can see you consciously pulling the weight up with your arms before you have even got the bar past your knees. The weight isn't close enough to your body. Break this habit as soon as possible.

You're pulling the weight up into the 'power clean' zone, then riding the weight all the way down. Once you've reached full extension you should pull yourself under the bar quickly.

I think you should seriously consider some drills to improve your form- high pulls, tall cleans, power cleans from the hang etc
Old 03-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
Antun Karlovac

Profile:

Hi Steven and Adam,

Quote:
I can see you consciously pulling the weight up with your arms before you have even got the bar past your knees.
I know I was doing this because my biceps hurt afterward. The thing is I can't tell how to pick that out in the video. What did you look for to see that? Is keeping the bar close to my body on the way up the way to fix this?

Quote:
I think you should seriously consider some drills to improve your form- high pulls, tall cleans, power cleans from the hang etc
Just to make sure I understand you: for high pulls, you mean SHDPs, correct? I've been doing some HPCs in WODs recently, but I'll do more. (I'm doing the CFSB program, so I get to make up my own MetCon workouts, and this is a good opportunity to get more practice on things like that). And for "tall cleans" - is that basically a clean from the rack, where the bar starts around knee height?

Quote:
Please film it from a 45 degree angle.
Thanks, I'll do that in future.

-Antun
Old 03-24-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
Steven Webster

Profile:

I know you're doing it because I've been there and it's tough. I can just see it happening, and I can feel exactly what you're attempting to do. Now, it's very important to keep the bar close, so work slower and perform light drills every day if possible. Just keep the arms very straight and use hook grip. Don't even try to get the bar up, just work on standing tall. If you feel you're generating enough power finish off and rack the bar.

Plz be careful with the jargon, I couldn't understand some of that stuff. What I will say is that the tall clean is from a standing position. It's the last part of the triple extension. All you have to do is shrug hard and drop under the bar. Since you're only shrugging the bar won't go very far so you have no choice but to meet it before it crashes down.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
Antun Karlovac

Profile:

Sorry about the jargon. Just to clarify what I meant:

SHDPs - Sumo Deadlift High Pulls (is that what you meant by "high pulls")?
HPCs - Hang Power Cleans
CFSB - CrossFit Strength Bias

I think that's all of them.

I know what you mean by tall cleans now. I had actually read about them once before and tried them while warming-up to clean-and-jerks.

Thanks,

Antun
Old 03-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

A few glaring errors:

- arm pull
- bar crashing/crushing you
- bar getting away from you in 2nd/3rd pull
- weak dip and split position

Like stated above, work on some drills. One thing I'd suggest is work on halting deadlifts to get accustom to breaking hte bar from the floor and moving it back over your base of support. Another drill is to peform 2 clean pulls (focusing on keeping the bar close tot he hips and body) followed by a clean.

Regarding your receiving position work on slamming that bar into place on your shoulders, elbows HIGH and push that bar up against the throat. And I disagree with the statement of getting under the bar as fast as possible. That builds really bad habits of not meeting the bar. It ends up crashing on you andas weights get heavier, it can lead to some pretty bad injuries (broken collar bones, fractured fingers/wrist, try having 110kg land on the crooks of your elbows and so on). Focus on meeting that bar as fast as possible, not getting under it.

For the jerk, work on solidifying that dip. Keep your weight balanced and control it down. You want to take a "slow"/controlled, brief dip. You should barely feel yourself dip down. Practice that without weight. Then finish it off with a very quick "jump"! into your split position. Make sure to practice landing in a nice split position too, with your front leg reaching far forward and back leg bent in order to absorb the weight.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:53 PM   #8
Steven Webster

Profile:

The high pull is a power clean but with a bit more weight so that you don't quite get it high enough to rack. Concentrate on keeping the arms straight and you will hopefully avoid tearing your biceps. Just think, if you biceps can lift 135, imagine what your glutes and back can do!

I know what you mean about the rest. Maybe look for new reading material? EG:

Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide for Athletes & Coaches By Gregg Everett
Old 03-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
Cody Wilkes

Profile:

Other than what has been stated above,
-Get your knees under the bar
-don't pull with your arms
-don't let the weight crash on you
-split your feet in the jerk
-short quick solid dip on the jerk

On your jerk your elbows drop to soon. This causes the weight to be support by your arms and and a small part of the shoulder girdle. Keep them up so the force from your legs goes up your torso into the bar; not up your torso, down your humerus, up your forearm into the bar.

Just a training tip also. I don't know if you were try to work on form, but if you are don't do it with a work out that includes "as fast as you can".
Old 03-27-2009, 09:29 AM   #10
Neil Fonseca

Profile:

something I don't think has been mentioned yet - the bar MUST brush your thighs on the way up - around or above mid thigh. Fix this.