CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
Daniel Olmstead

Profile:
Seeking advice on programming for a 10 year-old girl

Hi all,
I got my level 1 cert a year ago, started leading group classes at my affiliate in December, and have just now started taking private clients for 1-on-1 sessions.

So far, so good, but I have something new coming up tomorrow: a mom called me up asking for off-season training for her 10 year-old daughter, who is a competitive downhill skiier. We have an hour-long trial session scheduled, during which the mom will watch and may want to do the workout too.

I'm a bit unsure how to proceed - if it were an adult, my inclination would be a CF-football approach of strength (squats, squats and squats) combined with brief, intense metcons. But I don't have much experience with training kids, and am unsure of how much to adjust my expectations. I also got a vibe from the mom that she was not keen on heavy weights - maybe I'm wrong about that.

I was thinking maybe a bodyweight tabata-something workout could be a fun introduction, and not too long. Burpees, squats, push-ups, sit-ups, maybe? Any thoughts you have on both the workout and the overall approach would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
-D
Old 06-10-2010, 06:14 AM   #2
Wil Vicinus

Profile:
Re: Seeking advice on programming for a 10 year-old girl

I'd suggest contacting the good folks over at CrossFit Kids: www.crossfitkids.com (wfs). They are the best resource available for working with kids and teens in CrossFit.

Are you training the client at your affiliate? If you you are, you will probably want to touch base with the affiliate team just to see if there are any special requirements / restrictions. They recently announced some changes to the affiliate agreement regarding kids group classes, but I am not sure if / how those changes might apply to individual training.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Hmm, I've done my fair share of skiing, nothing competitive but started around that age. I have done slalom and GS courses.

Find out what events she will be doing exactly. My friend's kid competes in 5 different events including some of the acrobatic stuff (former gymnast).

If you google it, Eva T has talked about the sort of things they did when she competing.

BW tabata is a good introduction to basic movements to see where they are. Pullups, Pushups, Squats, and situps.

You may just want to limit it to 4 rounds instead of 8.

As well it would be a good idea to test mobility and core strength.

See how well she moves by lunging, test plank. I'm not sure of the necessity for upper body strength but I'm sure it can't hurt.

To note, most kids that age will not find 10-15m+ WOD's very interesting. Especially if they become repetitive borefests aka Cindy. It depends on the kid, really.

If you cannot get her into doing anything with a bar, DL or bar squatting, you could start off with deck squats and SLS progression and KB work. Focus on the russian swing at first of course. It will target that lower back and inner leg that gets abused during downhill skiing on runs.

You may have a much easier case of pushing the DL than the BS for mom and the kid.

The Olympic lifts are used by skiers but you have to work with what you can get approved by mom.

It could start with KB, then DL, then BS, then OL. See?
Old 06-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I wouldn't do tabata anything with someone whos form isn't dialed in, going for speed will only make it worse and lead to bad habits.

Rachel Crass (weightlifting world team) started weightlifting when was 6, kendrick ferris (team USA) when he was 8, the russians start about the same age. Weightlifting has the smallest injury rate per participant hour of any sport with about .0017 compared to soccer's 6 and change.

PM me if you want the study. It was done by Dr. Garhammer

http://www.coachesinfo.com/index.php...les&Itemid=129

WFS unless you work at Planet Fitness
at the bottom, done by a british researcher. GOod paper on training as well.

I can't find the Garhammer one on line. I the the above might be the one RIp used in one of his books.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:02 PM   #5
John Swanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I wouldn't do tabata anything with someone whos form isn't dialed in, going for speed will only make it worse and lead to bad habits.

Rachel Crass (weightlifting world team) started weightlifting when was 6, kendrick ferris (team USA) when he was 8, the russians start about the same age. Weightlifting has the smallest injury rate per participant hour of any sport with about .0017 compared to soccer's 6 and change.

I can't find the Garhammer one on line. I the the above might be the one RIp used in one of his books.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:47 AM   #6
Sam Ser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post

i mention that hamill study a lot. however, it's important to differentiate coached weight training from people dropping stuff on themselves at the globo gym. the ny times just published an article, based on a paper in the american journal of sports medicine, about that end of things:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/15/health/15stat.html

WFS, of course.

Last edited by Sam Ser; 06-23-2010 at 01:51 AM..
Old 06-23-2010, 01:54 AM   #7
Sam Ser

Profile:

this is the hamill study i meant:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/236687/Ham...eight-Training

WFS
Old 06-23-2010, 04:48 AM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Jamie, while I used the tabata timing I did not nor do not push it with noobies. I told him merely I wanted him to work for 20s and then he/they get a 10s break. If they need to stop, that's alright as they are new. I do not want failure to cause them so much DOMS they do not want to workout the next scheduled workout day (the next or 2 days later).

I use it as a timing system. I find 20s is more than enough work. However, 10s of rest is quite often tough for them. 30-30 sucks, and quite often past 20s you aren't getting any more work besides some rest and maybe a few more reps. I've done 45-15 and you end up crushed after 30s anyways. You get a few more reps but less work compared to 20-10 rep wise.

You could easily do 20-40, but that takes way more time. 16m for 4 rounds a piece vs 8 minutes.

My friend who I use this is a big guy who isn't very strong and found 20-10 fine. Bare in mind this is a guy who has been relatively inactive fitness wise in the last 15 years since HS PE at that. He's helped move people are things on occasion. That's about it.

He was able to do body rows and pushups (on his knees) besides squats and crunches/situps with no problem.

Again the focus was just to get him to get 4,6,or 8 sets done, relatively quick but he did not push nor did I push himself to form failure. That is very critical as he needs to be eased into workingout. He won't do well at this point if he crushes himself and is too sore (and his wife is a pain in the *** about this).

At 10yo, they don't really have any hips, but SLS and even lunging does not work on protecting the knees and hips which is very important in skiing since the vast majority of injuries are blowing the knee ligaments besides obvious injuries like landing on your neck or shoulder from a wipe out or going acrobatic by accident.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:03 AM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I gotcha Blair, I should have figured I was missing something.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Yeah, it's bastardizing an already bastardized protocol.