CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 09-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
Chris Polonchek

Profile:
Clean and Jerk critique please!

I just did the 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 C&J workout and took videos of it. Here are my last three attempts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0ksJVoOof8 (wfs)

I could have done more weight, but I wanted to make sure my form was okay before going heavier. Let me know how it looks!
Old 09-18-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
Peter Terry Haas

Profile:
Re: Clean and Jerk critique please!

Great job so far Chris.

Overall you look pretty good on the clean. Biggest thing I see is you are chasing the bar forward. This is happening b/c you are jumping a tad too early and banging the bar forward with your thighs. Jump a tad bit later and keep the bar close, and jump and land in the same place.

On the jerk, you need to reset your hands into a jerk grip after recovering from the squat. Use the recovery to pop the bar a little bit and grip a little lower in the palm. Be more aggressive. Hit a hard push press, then use your arms to push down into the finish and land solid.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
Chris Polonchek

Profile:

Thanks Peter, I'll give that a shot. Now I know why my thighs always have red marks on top of them after doing cleans. I'll try to improve it and post another video.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
Eric S. Jensen

Profile:

a little slower off the ground too
Old 09-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
Chris Polonchek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S. Jensen View Post
a little slower off the ground too
Wouldn't going slower off the ground make it more difficult to "explode" once it's past my knees? It seems like having that extra bit of momentum would help get the weight up faster.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

It would seem that way, but no.

Among competitive weightlifters, speed off the ground actually has an unreliable correlation with ultimate success of the lift. A much more reliable indicator is acceleration (rate of change of velocity) at the finish of the second pull. It's easier to accelerate from a moderate speed than a speed that is already fast. It's also easier to accelerate when the bar is in the proper position for the second pull. The pull off the ground is primarily for positioning, not speed. Pull too fast off the ground and the positioning gets off for the second pull.

Think more about acceleration and a little less about velocity. Acceleration will take care of velocity. Notice in this graph of a successful lift by Alexander Kurlovich (205kg snatch, 3rd attempt, 1994 World Championships). Max acceleration occured at the finish of the second pull, not at the beginning of the lift. A poorly executed lift will have high acceleration right off the ground (yanking the bar, essentially) but poor acceleration and poor velocity at the top of the pull where it is needed most.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VScope4.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	5158  

Last edited by Lincoln Brigham; 09-21-2009 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: additional details
Old 09-21-2009, 10:11 PM   #7
Alex McRobie

Profile:

Peter hit it bang on, probably a bit more emphasis on the shrug?
Old 09-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
Chris Polonchek

Profile:

You guys are right on about the slower speed to get it off the floor and into position. I did a bit of Rippetoe readin' and you-tubein' which confirmed it. It makes sense to me now that if something is moving at a slower velocity, it's easier to get a hold of it and really accelerate it. If it's already moving you don't have the chance to put as much force into it. I'll post some more C&J attempts here in the next couple days and see if there's an improvement
Old 09-25-2009, 01:41 PM   #9
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:

I think you can get your hips lower in your setup, with your shoulders closer to directly above the bar (they're way out in front now, even a bit far in front for Rippetoe's coaching on a deadlift, but an Oly coach would have your shoulders much further back). I believe this will affect your acceleration and positioning on the second pull and help to correct that thigh-bang.

Your form on your 2nd and 3rd jerks is quite different from your 1st jerk. On the 1st jerk, your torso inclines forward at the hips. On the 2nd and 3rd jerks, it does not. I believe the 2nd and 3rd jerks are what you want to do, and not the forward-incline of the 1st.

But yes, you're off to a great start, good job. I'm going to post some of my clean and jerks because I recently had trainers telling me I was forward inclining on my jerks, as I saw you do on your 1st; that's why this is on my mind and I noticed it.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
Chris Polonchek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirez Reynolds View Post
Your form on your 2nd and 3rd jerks is quite different from your 1st jerk. On the 1st jerk, your torso inclines forward at the hips. On the 2nd and 3rd jerks, it does not. I believe the 2nd and 3rd jerks are what you want to do, and not the forward-incline of the 1st.
Boy you've got a sharp eye! I just re-watched it several times and the difference seems so small. If I had been wearing a hat on the first lift I'm not sure I would have known the difference. I will try to remember that on my next attempt though. Hopefully tonight!