CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-10-2008, 10:22 AM   #1
Jonathan Pownall

Profile:
Marine Corps OCS

Ok sports fans, here's the deal. I am brand new to cross fit and I have some very specific goals. I've got a long way to go and a short time to get there. I am a 28 year old enlisted reservist who desparately wants to become an officer. Before this can happen, I must have a package go before a review board which is due in late June/early July. The majority of the package is pretty simple to put together and mine is almost complete. However there are 2 blank spots in mine that are very very very crucial. The first one is weight. My max weight is 197. Currently I am 225. I need to be running about a 245 to 250 pft (physical fitness test) consisting of pullups, crunches (max effort in 2 minutes) and 3 mile run. Each pull up is worth 5 points, each crunch is worth 1 point, and the run must be completed in 18 minutes or less to get a perfect score of 100. Every ten seconds over that 18 minutes deducts a point from that hundred. Currently I am only running about a 200 pft. I guess what I'm really looking for is some advice and encouragement in both the WOD as well as anything additional I may need to be doing. Anything that anybody has to offer would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
Matt Spears

Profile:
Re: Marine Corps OCS

well what is your current workout?
Old 04-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
Jonathan Pownall

Profile:

Right now its just the WOD. I feel like I need to do more though but I'm not sure. I don't know what else I need/should do if anything. I don't want to over train and I don't want to have a "routine" as routine is the enemy. That is where I need suggestions.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:41 PM   #4
Matt Spears

Profile:

go to www.navyseals.com and take a look at their workout of the day program. It may be a bit more military related and will generally have more running/reps involved with it.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:11 PM   #5
Jake Dent

Profile:

The brutal truth is that if you're running a 200, the WOD may realistically overtrain you and the Navyseals workout is way too much.
Stick with the WOD, fix your diet (if you haven't already) scale when needed, don't hurt yourself...
Old 04-10-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Erm... you also need to watch your diet if you want to lose some weight. Don't try to meet the weight maximum, but do try to meet the body fat maximum when they take out that tape measure. Do sprinting intervals whenever you see a WOD you don't like or can't do. Also, do a search for "grease the groove" as pertains to pull-ups. It means, do a few pull-ups several times per day, not to failure but simply to get accustomed to it - be one with the bar, that sort of thing. The general path to a USMC PFT of 250 is to get more pull-ups.

You can run a 22 minute, nice and easy 3 mile (note to the competitive running crowd: this is never done in ideal conditions, never on a track, etc., plus you need to be strong enough to hoist around some weights and do lots of pull-ups and push-ups, so 18 minutes is flying). 21:59 will give you 76 points. Get 90 sit-ups and then you'll need 17 deadhang pull-ups - so grease that groove! If you have more than a few weeks, then learn the basic skills on the rings and parallettes (go to drillsandskills.com) and keep doing sprinting intervals until the weight comes off and the run time improves. And good luck with OCS!
Old 04-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #7
Andrew Beaird

Profile:

navyseals.com is a great place to get on and ask some questions about your running goals

get on there and look for a guy with the handle: rsctt83 hes a very knowlegable guy when it comes to running plus hes a BTDT guy when it comes to the Special Operations Teams in the Navy..there is also some running workouts you can do..

Do you have to run in boots and pants..or tennis shoes and shorts?
Old 04-11-2008, 10:29 AM   #8
Scot Brown

Profile:

Jon,
Assuming you pass the board, when are going to OCS? There is a big difference between being able to score well (>250) on the PFT and being in shape for what we'll be doing at OCS. Like everyone else said, try to lose weight, as it really helps to have less weight, and a higher strength to weight ratio, when doing bodyweight exercises (which is most things we do). So, to get good at the PFT, supplement Crossfit with gtg dead hang pullups and running, the situps are easy to score perfectly on. For OCS itself, you're going to have to do a lot more to be fully prepared. Crossfit will help you with this. I started Crossfit last summer, around the time I contacted my recruiter and got in the program, and I am eternally grateful for the extra preparation it has provided me. You said you were new to Crossfit. Just work hard, stick with it, and keep the big picture in mind, to be the tip of the spear. Good luck devil dog.
Semper Fi
Old 04-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #9
Tyler Quinn

Profile:

Scot is right. Being able to run a 250 PFT and getting through the riggors of Marine Corps OCS are two totally different things. What helped me when I went was doing a lot of calisthenic exercises (hello dollies, flutter kicks, 8 count body builders, etc). Try going for a 4 mi. run and at every mile stop and do some sit ups, push ups, etc. like a fartlek run. Those are things that will get you ready for OCS. Good luck and Semper Fidelis.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:57 PM   #10
Lisa Quinn

Profile:

Johnathan,
Check with the guys who have been through OCS already...
Check into the zone for your diet. Fine tune into that and your weight will come off.
Great goal to become an officer, you can do it, put your mind to it, get plugged in, don't give up!

My son got me into CF while he was in NROTC, now he's a Marine officer.

(Hi Ty!)