CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:33 AM   #1
Jonathan Thomas Powers

Profile:
How do you motivate your employees?

I currently still work at a Semi-box gym. I'm trying to get my act together and see if I actually have the guts to open my own place.

I have trainers that work for me at the box that are lazy and somehow unable to get clients. Whenever you question someones methods they naturally become defensive and sometimes they won't even hear what you have to say after initial contact because they are thinking "OK here it comes"

I figure this is a problem that I might experience even if I open my own place so I wonder how you all handle yourselves as Owners/Managers.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:50 AM   #2
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:
Re: How do you motivate your employees?

If they're not earning, they're out. It's your place, you call the shots. Make this very clear. Of course, you have to lay out your terms and expectations at the beginning of the business relationship.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:15 AM   #3
Steve Reggio

Profile:

One thing I have seen in my time in Globo-Gym and different affiliates. Globo Trainers (many not all, I know this is a generalization based on my experience) seem to be working as trainers because they don't know what else to do. I don't get the feeling they truly love what they do.

EVERY CF Trainer I have met loves what they do. They choose to be a CF Trainer they didn't just fall back on it. If you hire people that love what they do then motivation really shouldn't be a factor.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:24 PM   #4
Neil Khant

Profile:

Taking this out of the trainer context and looking at this as an employee issue:

Good, motivated employees are usually that way because they enjoy what they are doing and also have the right personality for their work.

Personally I would rather have an employee with a good attitude and less skill than a highly skilled employee with a bad attitude.

You can teach skills.
It is hard to change a bad attitude.

Spend time finding people with the right attitude. They will be representing you and your company, make sure they represent it the way you want.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:00 PM   #5
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

Do your employees have any extra incentive to get clients?

In other words, is their pay merit-based or do they earn the same/hr no matter what?

They may not love it, but they probably want more money.

howard
Old 04-17-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
Matt Hunt

Profile:

Jonathan......Here's what works for us:

You said what? You don't want to do what? Okay....your fired!!!

Just kidding. But it was how I was trained. Motivating employees is a deep, deep question and starts in the "hiring" process......remember that. The best answer I can give you is the following email Nicole Carroll and I just had a couple of days ago. Here was my response below:

Keep in mind Nicole, that the question you have asked, is not one answered very easily. It took us 3 years to try to devise our system. And it still is not fool-proof. But it has eliminated much frustration in hiring folks we are looking for.

The very first thing we did was to search out the Guru in our industry at the time. His name was Joe Cirulli, and he was owner of Gainesville Health and Racquet Club. He was also past President of the Industry association of over 10,000 clubs called IHRSA. After a 1-hour meeting with him, scheduled 4 months in advance as we made the drive from Atlanta to Gainesville, Florida, he essentially gave us a ton of advice, and a list of books to read. The second of which was "First...Break All the Rules" by Marcus Buckingham and Curt Coffman.

The book is based on a research study by the Gallup Organization from 80,000 managers from America's biggest and most successful corporations throughout many industries. It addresses how these companies attracted, found, kept, and measured "talented" employees, while keeping them satisfied. It started with:

Key Ideas:

1. The best managers reject conventional wisdom.

2. The best managers treat every employee as an individual.

3. The best managers never try to fix weaknesses; instead they focus on strengths and talent.

4. The best managers know they are on stage everyday. They know their people are watching every move they make.

5. Measuring employee satisfaction is vital information for your investors.

6. People leave their immediate managers, not the companies they work for.

7. The best managers are those that build a work environment where the employees answer positively to these 12 Questions:

· Do I know what is expected of me at work?

· Do I have the materials and equipment I need to do my work right?

· At work, do I have the opportunity to do what I do best everyday?

· In the last seven days, have I received recognition or praise for doing good work?

· Does my supervisor or someone at work seem to care about me as a person?

· Is there someone at work who encourages my development?

· At work, do my opinions seem to count?

· Does the mission/purpose of my company make me feel my job is important?

· Are my co-workers committed to doing quality work?

· Do I have a best friend at work?

· In the last six months, has someone at work talked to me about my progress?

· This last year, have I had the opportunity at work to learn and grow?

So this is the first place to start. From there, we established the sequence or “format” to hire them in:

1. First comes the 45 minute detailed Application on who they are, their background, and what they really want to do in Life.

2. Next is an invitation to our Seminar on what we do, how we do it and what they can expect from us, and what we expect from them.

3. Next comes their “team” workout. Usually the filthy fifty, whereby we test their CHARACTER! Keep in mind this is a critical step, because at the end of the day, all we have is our Character. If it’s flawed compared to what we are looking for, we won’t consider them.

4. Step 4 is an invitation back for a second interview with their peers (Fellow Coaches) to make sure they understand the team and what is expected of them.

5. Step 5 is an interview back from the Franchise Owner, so they know what’s expected from an ownership standpoint and how we would like to grow them into a responsible owner too, if that is their goal.

6. Once hired, this is just the beginning. Now we have the same types of processes for training them.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #7
Chris Drewry

Profile:

"The beatings will continue until morale improves"
Old 04-17-2008, 06:12 PM   #8
John D. Burch

Profile:

Hey Matt,

I am actually finishing the book FIRST, BREAK... right now. Kinda funny how that works. So I am in complete agreement with you.

In addition to your reading advice (BTW - EVERY AFFILIATE MUST read this book if you are every thinking about working with more than just yourself... if you have one employee you are now a manager, congratulations) some things that we have implemented with Petranek Fitness is revenue share with key players. Mind you this rev share ONLY works when you start with people that will/do already get there early and stay late... organically because, as the saying goes, you can't push a rope. Once the person has demonstrated they actually ADD to your business, in multiple ways, then and only then are they eligible for this Rev share...

Again, this is not for all staff members... some staff are valuable at just being solid floor instructors/coaches. The key to what we have done is understanding what the exact best way to exploit (in a good way) the staff members' talent and compensate them based on that.

If you are running a BOX (rent, overhead, etc, not just from your garage) figuring out this "management" question is possibly the most critical single aspect to you being a successful affiliate owner. With this question "solved" you will have a better lifestyle and not be the highest paid slave of your business... One way to test this out is to (try) to take significant time AWAY from your location. If you can do this for more than just a day or two and the business THRIVES (meaning new signups with $ in hand, all classes covered and running smoothly) then you are doing a great job of managing your staff... if the opposite happens - classes start late, no new clients come on board, clients are ****ed that YOU personally weren't there to train them, and more - then you have a major issue. With the latter you will never be able to expand beyond 40-50 clients.. if that.

I hope I was able to help. Now, Go buy that book and devour it!

Best,
John Burch
Old 04-17-2008, 08:39 PM   #9
Damon Stewart

Profile:

Most of what you read on motivating people is total crap, including most of what's been written here (excepting Matt's post). I've got 22 employees in my main business and another 8 people working for me in various capacities. The best advice I ever got was to hire motivated people and then do your best not to de-motivate them. Hire slow & fire fast. I'm sure it's possible to motivate people I've just never been able to do it...whereas I've gotten decent at identifying motivated people to hire.

Damon
Old 04-17-2008, 09:32 PM   #10
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Stewart View Post
Most of what you read on motivating people is total crap, including most of what's been written here (excepting Matt's post).
Depends on what you read. Most of what I read on motivating people is scholarly literature in the area of organization development and behavior, and I put a lot of stock in it; however, I would totally agree that most of what one reads on the Internet - particularly forums like this - is opinion and hearsay, unsubstantiated by data to back it up.

For my part, I'll say that I agree with the statement in Matt's answer of "The best managers treat every employee as an individual." Don't search for the silver bullet that motivates employees. Search at a personal level for what motivates the employee, with an understanding that what motivates Bob very well might not motivate Jane, and what motivates Bob today very well might not motivate Bob next month. Bob, in fact, might not even know what keeps himself motivated, so the best managers know how to keep their eyes and ears constantly open for clues as to what inspires the best work from their employee. Do that for each employee, and you have a motivated staff. Gain a reputation for that, and you have on your hands an environment that attracts the best people rather than an environment known for its owner/manager who shortsightedly thinks just "If they're not earning, they're out. It's your place, you call the shots."

Jonathan - There's tons & tons of literature on this stuff. If you really want to understand how to motivate your folks, I encourage adding the knowledge of real experts to your owner/manager tool kit instead of relying only on the opinions of other affiliates. In any event, I applaud the you for asking the question in the first place.

Best,

Mark