CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-02-2008, 07:02 PM   #1
Angela Childress

Profile:
Red face Pregnancy, nursing, and the zone

Hi all... I'm currently pregnant, and due any day. I've been doing some exercise, but as soon as I have this baby I plan on starting over with the beginers workout.

My hubby does the zone and has recently gotten pretty strict with it, and I would like to do the same. Does anyone know where I can look up info on food portioning in the zone while you are pregnant and nursing a baby? Thanks a lot!
Old 03-02-2008, 07:22 PM   #2
Cathy Staelgraeve

Profile:
Re: Pregnancy, nursing, and the zone

I'm also pregnant. I'm 26 weeks. I read on thezonediet.com site that a pregnant or breastfeeding mom should eat 1-2 extra blocks a day. Yeah, I don't follow any type of diet while pregnant, but like you, I plan to get back at it post partum.

Good luck with birth and getting back into shape!
Old 03-02-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
Elizabeth Terris

Profile:

Most lactating women will need to consume about 500 additional calories above their normal prepregnancy food intake. An individual mother's calorie requirements can vary widely depending upon her basic metabolism and level of activity. Nutrition experts recommend that breastfeeding women consume 2,700 calories per day. However, recent studies of healthy lactating women in the industrialized world showed their actual intake of food to be approximately 2,200 calories per day while breastfeeding, or about 15 percent less than the recommended value. Most nursing mothers will need to consume at least 2,200 calories per day to provide necessary nutrients and to maintain milk production. At this level of calorie intake, a lactating mother can still expect to lose weight gradually during the course of breastfeeding. This is because the body contributes an additional 500 calories each day from body fat stores to help subsidize lactation. Thus, it is nature's plan to store up extra fat during pregnancy so it will be available to contribute to lactation after delivery. Body fat stores are decreased during breastfeeding, particularly in the thighs and hips.

Congratulations and have an easy birth.

ET
Old 03-02-2008, 09:29 PM   #4
Jennifer Higgins

Profile:

I'd be mindful of getting enough fats as these are so critical for fetal development and they are passed pretty directly thru breastmilk to baby. DHA is a major component of brain and nerve tissue and Barry Sears does not spend too much time talking about the various really important fats especially for fetal development. Olive oil won't do it, neither will nuts. The best information I've seen on this is at www.westonaprice.org (w/f safe) and I wish I had read it for son #1 instead of not learning about it until son #2! Congrats and best wishes
Old 03-05-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
Amanda Hicks

Profile:

popping in late here. Wanted to wish you great luck with your delivery! I also wanted to mention that any weight loss program should not really be begun until about 6 weeks post partum. Your milk supply can be greatly affected by the number of calories you intake so it is paramount that you wait to get a supply established before cutting food intake. Some women are affected more than others, it is hard to say how your body will work. This is not to say you need not eat healthy. It is also very important to your breastmilk and babe that you eat a quality diet- nice good fats as Jennifer mentioned.

Likely right after delivery and for the first month or so the weight is naturally going to shed. You might even be one of those lucky women who lose all their weight in the first few weeks