CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-16-2005, 03:04 PM   #1
Andrew Gray

Profile:
We have a little workout room where I do an internship, and my boss has asked me to help put some stuff up around the walls to help the other workers get a little more motivated. The room doesn't have much, a tread-mill, an elliptical machine, one of those big machines that has like 6 different stations connected to it, a set of dumbbells, and a couple more odds and ends. I am trying to get the boss put in a pull-up bar also.

Most of the employees here are not very fit. I doubt many of them could even come close to doing a pull-up. None of them really know anything about fitness also. Most of the people who use the weight room just go in for short 30-60 minute workouts every now and then. I was thinking it would be helpful if I could put up a couple easy 30 minute workouts on the wall. They could come in and just look on the wall and have a good workout planned out for them right there. I want to make it as easy for them as possible, they walk in the door, pick a workout, follow the instructions step by step then walk out the door. My goal is to come up with 4 workouts for them to pick from.

I am having some trouble thinking up workouts for their ability level. They need to be hard enough that they get something out of it, but also not so hard that they don’t want to do it (these aren’t dedicated crossfitters). I was hoping I might be able to get a few suggestions.

Any suggestions for other things to put up in the workout room would be appreciated also, motivational posters, certain colors for the walls, anything like that.

Thanks for the help,
Andrew
Old 02-16-2005, 03:10 PM   #2
Scott Kustes

Profile:
What about something like Chelsea modified for them? It's 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats on the minute for 30 minutes. For those that can't do pullups, they could do pulldowns.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:35 PM   #3
Andrew Gray

Profile:
I think that one would work pretty well for the harder end of the spectrum, I need some easier workouts also, some of them can't even do push-ups. I want to try a chipper style workout because I think they are more fun and less repetative, the more fun it is the more likely they are to do it. Even just suggestions of easy exercises that anyone can do would be helpful.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:41 PM   #4
Pat Janes

Profile:

The May '03 CrossFit Journal describes a beginner's workout that may be useful.

It basically rotates and slowly integrates:

Deadlifts
Push Press
Squats
400m runs

gradually getting the subject used to more and more volume. The chosen movements are the corner-stones of the functional movements espoused by CrossFit; the idea being to get someone to the point where they can start to tackle the WOD. It also requires very little equipment.

Also, if you have a low bar of some kind available, you can get people to do body rows instead of pullups; a lot closer to the pullup than lat pulldowns, and a lot easier than pullups.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:50 PM   #5
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Andrew,
We break every workout at Brand X down into three groups, Big Dawgs, Pack and Puppies. The puppy group is for people starting out. I'd be happy to send you some of our workouts that require little equipment in Word form if you want.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:55 PM   #6
Michael Street

Profile:
Everyone is ready for the fundamentals. Scott is on to something. Teach them how to squat, push-up and pull-up. You can then build quick circuits. 1pushup 1situp, 2pushups 2situps - continue to 5 then back to 1. Keep it simple and don’t rush to the application of weight. Apply assistance where necessary. Use sticks to teach the mechanics of a bar. Be patience and as the trainee’s progress accept nothing more than perfect execution – this is a challenge for everyone!

Hats off to you for running with the conditioning program!
Old 02-16-2005, 04:35 PM   #7
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
That's awesome!

I say maybe put a 5 day schedule up there just for fun. M-F 30 min or less.

My favs are the:
M & Th.
3-5 rounds of
400m run or 2 min. on eliptical/jumprope/jumping jacks
12-15 Pulling exercise(pullups/pulldowns/rows)
21-50 squating/lunging exercise (bw squats, OH db lunges, db swings, etc.)

Tu & Fr
3-5 rounds
400m run or 2 min. on eliptical/jumprope/jumping jacks
15-21 Pushing exercise (pushups, db benchpress, whatever chest exercise is on the universal)
21-50 ab exercises (situps, knees to elbows, etc.)

Wed
Fight gone bad (variation)
3-5 rounds of
1 min max reps at each station on the universal
1 min rest

I think that would kick start a good program.

Tabata anything for the people that want a sub 5min workout.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:19 PM   #8
Andrew Gray

Profile:
Wow, I am getting some great suggestions here. Jeff, I would love to get some of your workouts, my e-mail is acgray22@yahoo.com

I think I might also make a poster of the World-Class Fitness in 100 Words. (Am I allowed to do that or is that copyright infringement of some sort?)
Old 02-17-2005, 04:18 PM   #9
Alex Vasquez

Profile:
I am in a similar situation as Andrew. I have been hired to help run a corporate fitness center. I was thinking of posting some challenges on the wall and integrating a crossfit type class 2-3x/week. My main consideration is getting a good beginners program together for the members.

There are some great ideas posted so far. In one of the crossfit journals they had cross fit for seniors with scaled down versions of the girls. I was thinking those would be a good start.

Jeff, If you would be so kind as to share some of your ideas with me too I would greatly appreciate it. My email is alxndwndy@comcast.net
Old 02-18-2005, 08:44 AM   #10
Jeff Martin

Profile:
I'll send a few your way this weekend. Keep us all posted on how this turns out for you.