CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
Cassi Nesmith

Profile:
Another crossfit playlist thread

Hiya,
I searched the boards for the question that I'm sure
has been asked, but couldn't find anything. Anyway, we recently acquired an iPod shuffle and want to put workout music on it but want to avoid harsh, sexist, and racist language. Any recs? Thanks in advance.
Cassi

Last edited by Cassi Nesmith; 08-24-2007 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: no real reason, actually
Old 08-24-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
Joe Cavazos

Profile:
Re: Another crossfit playlist thread

You know, only now do I realize how dirty most of the music I listen to is. Anyway, I've got a couple of playlists: one for heavy, slow-paced lifting, and another for faster-paced workouts and running. The majority of my slower-paced tracks are rap, though, so those won't do.

Slower-paced
AC/DC - Hell's Bells
AC/DC - Thunderstruck
Audioslave - Cochise
Elliot Goldenthal - S.W.A.T. 911
Vince DiCola - Rocky IV Training Montage

Faster-paced
AC/DC - Bad Boy Boogie
Bill Conti - Gonna Fly Now
Billy Idol - Rebel Yell
Bloc Party - Helicopter
Bloc Party - Like Eating Glass
Chamillionaire - Hip Hop Police
Cheap Trick - Mighty Wings (I like Top Gun. Sue me.)
Guns N' Roses - Nightrain
Rob Zombie - Dragula
ZZ Top - Planet of Women

I could offer some more slower-paced tracks if I knew what your profanity tolerance was. For example, what if the swear words aren't exactly intelligible?
Old 08-24-2007, 07:06 PM   #3
Craig Brown

Profile:

What kind of music are you looking for? Hard rock, rap, metal, disco (general played in all globo gyms).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassi Nesmith View Post
Hiya,
I searched the boards for the question that I'm sure
has been asked, but couldn't find anything. Anyway, we recently acquired an iPod shuffle and want to put workout music on it but want to avoid harsh, sexist, and racist language. Any recs? Thanks in advance.
Cassi
Old 08-24-2007, 07:43 PM   #4
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

If I could throw in my two pennies... Honestly, I would seriously consider playing only classical music in the gym. People think I'm crazy, but think about it, we're not just working out our muscles, we're also training our minds and nervous system for performing difficult tasks, and if you think you can listen to heavy, hard music and not be affected in the way your body reacts to workouts, then I think you'd be mistaken.

It's been established that the heavy metal, hard rock, etc (and I'm sure rap, and whatever else) has an effect on how living beings interact with eachother, and how well they think/work/learn. Composed, classical music on the other hand, encourages development of the brain, encourages learning, etc. And if it can help us to consciously learn better, I'm sure it helps the brain develop better muscle control, willpower, and in general control of all body functions.

For me, it's either silence, or classical (or my "tabata this" CD for tabata intervals). Almost always, it's silence, although if I had a good audio system in my garage gym, I'd play classical.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:49 PM   #5
George Mounce

Profile:

Listen to whatever you like. It has been studied many times that people tend to exercise harder when listening to enjoyable music.

Pick something you like and shove it in your ears!
Old 08-24-2007, 08:09 PM   #6
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Scatman John, if anything.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:06 AM   #7
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeMinico View Post
It's been established that the heavy metal, hard rock, etc (and I'm sure rap, and whatever else) has an effect on how living beings interact with eachother, and how well they think/work/learn.
Could you cite this study?
Old 08-26-2007, 01:41 PM   #8
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

all w/f safe as far as I know:

http://www.americanchronicle.com/art...articleID=9597
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Music/Mic...riment_Mo.html

Here's one that shows at least some effect on exercise, but not performance:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...11d5712ed08c7f
Old 08-26-2007, 02:05 PM   #9
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Interesting stuff. Not sure how far-reaching we should consider a science fair experiment, but it's worth considering.

Hey, here's a feel-good quote, attributed to Plato in my notes (though it seems a little lyrical for translated Greek). "Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness and life to everything. Fine music is the essence of order and leads to all that is just and good, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate and eternal form."
Old 08-27-2007, 02:47 AM   #10
Douglas W. Hathaway

Profile:

Just off the top of my head-
I'd suggest checking out some Pearl Jam if you're interested in music that Rocks, but isn't racist or sexist, even going so far as to write songs about how wrong violence against women is-(w/f safe) http://pearljam.com/songs/song.php?song=LeavingHere
http://pearljam.com/songs/song.php?song=Rearviewmirror
(Arguably, though, Pearl Jam may at times be considred "harsh", using certain words for empahsis at times, though not all the time.)

I use alot of Smashing Pumpkins during the WOD ("Where Boys fear to Tread" is a perfect prelude to Linda), and I'm pretty sure all their stuff is pretty safe, though I can't exactly be sure what Billy Corgan means sometimes.

I also like The Ramones, Flogging Molly, and Muse for fairly clean, good workout music, or news podcasts on heavy lifitng days when I wait a couple minutes between sets.

The rest of what I listen to most of the time during the WOD, Metallica, The Misfits, Black Sabbath, etc. would most likely not fit your definition.

Doug