CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 07-14-2009, 08:38 AM   #1
Andrew Mattson

Profile:
Pull-ups hate me

Looking for WOD that can help improve my overall set # of pull-ups completed. Right now I can do about 13. Are there any WOD that would improve that # (they don't necessarily have to have pull-ups in the work out).

THANKS!
Old 07-14-2009, 08:51 AM   #2
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: Pull-ups hate me

Search "Grease the Groove" (GTG). Is that 13 strict or kipping? Either way, GTG will improve both if you do it with a focus on your strict pull-ups. FYI, my pull-up #'s increased just from doing the normal cycle, not from doing certain WODs.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
Andrew Sharp

Profile:

You could also try out the Recon Ron pullup program.

Like Joe, my numbers increased by just doing the daily WODs. If you want a specific WOD I can suggest this one

Ten rounds for time of:
3 Weighted Pull-ups, 45 pounds
5 Strict Pull-ups
7 Kipping Pull-up
Old 07-14-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
Adam Walker Gurule

Profile:

Do you do the crossfit warmup? You should, that alone with the main site wods will increase your max. You can find it in the faq.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
Andrew Mattson

Profile:

The 13 were strict pullups, and it probably has gone up since the last time I took the PFT.

I had started recon ron, but stopped and just did WOD along with the CF warm up. Which as you know has worked very well. I started around 6-7 strict pullups and got to 13 pretty quickly. I didnt know if there were any WOD I could do today just to help focus a little more on building the muscles necessary for pullups. Figured it was a rest day so it might be a good time to experiment.

Andrew, the pullup workout is a little too extreme for me at the moment since that workout is 2 pullups more each round than i can even do in my max effort. should I scale down. Also i have never done kipping and have a cheap door overhand bar so that prob wouldnt be sufficient for kippings.

Thanks again guys.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:26 PM   #6
Andrew Sharp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mattson View Post
Andrew, the pullup workout is a little too extreme for me at the moment since that workout is 2 pullups more each round than i can even do in my max effort. should I scale down. Also i have never done kipping and have a cheap door overhand bar so that prob wouldnt be sufficient for kippings.
I posted that WOD sort of as a joke. That WOD is a nightmare even if you can do plenty of pullups. You'd definitely want to scale it down. I scale it way down and still give up half way through. I'm weak like that.

13 strict pullups isn't bad. I would refrain from kipping on the cheap bar in the door frame, but if you can find a place to learn to kip, do it.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
Justin Shipley

Profile:

if you can do 13 strict, you're flogging a dead horse continuing at bodyweight.
Adopt a simple program of weighted pullups, 5 x 3 or similar, increasing the weight a little each set.

When you do bodyweight PUs, mix your grips; wide, narrow,mixed, towel, one hand on bar and one on towel, use the close grips from the seated row cable pulley machine over the bar.... the key is in the variety, and in steadily increasing your strength, not continuing on at the same (body)weight
Old 07-15-2009, 03:41 AM   #8
Andrew Mattson

Profile:

Thanks all, very helpful, will definitely switch it up!