CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-02-2012, 04:53 AM   #11
Fran Rose

Profile:
Re: I need help losing the jiggle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
On the days that you workout, you should eat more to compensate for the calories you burned. I don't know what program you are using, but 1200 calories seems a little low.
MyFitnessPal (1200) and LoseIt (1094). I added in the exercises I did, but it doesn't consider calories. Total calories for yesterday (WOD day) was 1555, and that is probably low, I estimated the amounts.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #12
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Rose View Post
Thanks, Eric.
Don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy with my appearance. I actually like shopping again Now I just want to firm up, get rid of the remaining flub/softness, get stronger (the best brace is good muscles, right) and hope and pray my neck will improve as my low back did.

The 5-8 workouts includes CF Endurance. I workout with a small group (no trainer) M-W-F in the morning, T afternoon either CFE WOD on my own or at the local box and Sat at the local box or not at all. M, W or F afternoon I do the the endurance part of the CFE program. Not all three. I don't do anything on Th and Sun, except fun stuff (kayaking, biking, etc). I was rowing all 3 afternoons or doing another WOD, but as I was browsing this site and others, I realized I might be overtraining and that might be why I was waking so often at night. So I cut back to 1 time per week.

I have kicked myself in the butt, and I'm getting back on track with eating better (thanks Katherine) and taking vitamins and supplements. There are a couple different apps for calorie tracking but they both say I should be eating only 1100-1200 calories per day. That doesn't seem like nearly enough with the amount of work in CF. I get quite tired mid-day and often have to take a little power nap in my car during lunch. Is that indicative of something missing from my diet?

So when you say I should be lifting heavy 3 times per week, would that be max effort or just incorporated into the WOD? For example: M back squat, T dead lift, W thrusters/press, F bench press? or something similar? Or a bear complex or some other combination?

Thanks much!
5-8 training sessions per week is still a lot for anyone who's not a professional athlete. If you're at the Olympic Training Center and your only tasks are to train, eat, sleep, train again, get massages, and rest, you can handle a lot more volume than someone who has to do other stuff during the day. As I said before, the additional CFE stuff doesn't match up with your stated goal of getting stronger. Don't feel like more is necessarily better...better is better, and you need rest to make gains. Constantly beating yourself down with extra workouts limits your ability to go hard in the remaining ones, and basically disrupts your recovery mechanisms each time.

Ideally the heavy lifting would be on an existing strength program (i.e. GSLP, 5/3/1, conjugate CF, CFFB, etc.) in a logical progression on the major lifts, with hard conditioning done 2-3x per week as a supplement to the lifting. Heavy lifting typically means 2-5 sets of 1-5 reps depending on what percentage of your max you're dealing with, and isn't done for time...i.e. that means you do a set, rest til you're recovered, then do the next set.

Quote:
MyFitnessPal (1200) and LoseIt (1094). I added in the exercises I did, but it doesn't consider calories. Total calories for yesterday (WOD day) was 1555, and that is probably low, I estimated the amounts.
Those calorie recommendations usually do a poor job of accounting for the needs of someone who's active. Or they consider activity to be gardening or Zumba, which is quite a big difference from what you'll need if you're lifting heavy and doing intense conditioning. You need calories to build lean mass and to repair tissues damaged during intense training. As I'm sure Katherine will tell you at some point, she's about the same size as you and eats roughly 2x as many calories per day with no ill effects.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:21 AM   #13
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
With MyFitnessPal, I entered everything under Cardiovascular. There is a Strength work section under cardiovascular that gives you calories burned. For the CrossFit Metcons, you can either enter it in as circuit training or Calisthenics (they both burn the same amount of calories).

I know son people aren't believers in entering the info and tracking your calories, but it does work. I already lost 11lbs since I started about 10 weeks ago. The only thing getting smaller is my waist.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #14
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
You need calories to build lean mass and to repair tissues damaged during intense training. As I'm sure Katherine will tell you at some point, she's about the same size as you and eats roughly 2x as many calories per day with no ill effects.
What Eric said. You're doing a lot of stuff. And endurance workouts in particular are going to burn a boatload of calories. You may not need quite as many as I do (~2000 per day) but 1000-1200 is definitely too low.

Katherine
Old 06-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #15
Fran Rose

Profile:

Quote:
5-8 training sessions per week is still a lot for anyone who's not a professional athlete. If you're at the Olympic Training Center and your only tasks are to train, eat, sleep, train again, get massages, and rest, you can handle a lot more volume than someone who has to do other stuff during the day. As I said before, the additional CFE stuff doesn't match up with your stated goal of getting stronger. Don't feel like more is necessarily better...better is better, and you need rest to make gains. Constantly beating yourself down with extra workouts limits your ability to go hard in the remaining ones, and basically disrupts your recovery mechanisms each time.

Ideally the heavy lifting would be on an existing strength program (i.e. GSLP, 5/3/1, conjugate CF, CFFB, etc.) in a logical progression on the major lifts, with hard conditioning done 2-3x per week as a supplement to the lifting. Heavy lifting typically means 2-5 sets of 1-5 reps depending on what percentage of your max you're dealing with, and isn't done for time...i.e. that means you do a set, rest til you're recovered, then do the next set.
Thanks Eric.
I'll cut back on the training, 4-5 per week, MTWF and sometimes on Sat. I'll check out the programs you mention for strength. I do want to get stronger, but I have no desire to lift crazy heavy or competition level...just a healthy weight.

And I'll eat more. I'll check back in July to see if I still need help.
Fran
Old 06-04-2012, 12:43 AM   #16
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Trust me, you're a long way from lifting "crazy heavy or competition level." It's not like that kind of strength is just going to appear by accident.

If you want to get stronger it would be smart to do a program that does heavy lifting in a reasonable progression, in the same way that it's smart to follow a map if you want to get somewhere as opposed to meandering all over the place instead.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #17
Fran Rose

Profile:

Quote:
If you want to get stronger it would be smart to do a program that does heavy lifting in a reasonable progression, in the same way that it's smart to follow a map if you want to get somewhere as opposed to meandering all over the place instead.
Very good advice...and I will follow it to the best of my ability.

Eric, I am a woman...I always ask for directions and I always use a map
Old 06-25-2012, 07:00 PM   #18
Fran Rose

Profile:

Thanks Katherine, Eric and Paul,
Since my last post I started the 5/3/1 but unfortunately had a non-CF injury (I stabbed myself in the foot while gardening...all the way through). Just got the stitches out today. Missed the bones (YAY!) and no serious soft tissue damage. Slowly coming back. Not ready to do any jumping yet but I hope to start lifting tomorrow.

I have a question: Can I continue to follow the CFE program m-w-f and incorporate the 5/3/1 as a strength program t-th-sa-su? Or would that be too much? Or can I do the lifts on the same days as a WOD?

Thanks!
Fran
Old 06-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #19
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

That still sounds like a lot of volume. I would start with doing the 5/3/1 lifting four days a week then work in short CFE stuff maybe 1-2 days per week. You could gradually increase things if you respond to it ok. I would do the conditioning work after lifting so you've still got 3 total rest days each week.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:16 AM   #20
Fran Rose

Profile:

Thanks. I'll try it.