CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
Greg Togtema

Profile:
Two rowing questions

Hey guys and gals!

I have to rowing questions, which couldn't be more different from each other. Actually, not doing the latter properly might affect the other... but I digress

1) When rowing, when do you breathe? I am still inhaling when I start my pull, and only start to exhale afterward. Is this normal?

2) Guys, how do I put this question... when you row, do they rest above or below the legs? If they are above the legs, I notice them start to slip between the thighs, significantly increasing the chance of squashing. If they are below though, that pulls them down which doesn't hurt as much, but has the potential for much more damage. What is the proper technique? Lol.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
Clint Harris

Profile:
Re: Two rowing questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Togtema View Post
Hey guys and gals!

I have to rowing questions, which couldn't be more different from each other. Actually, not doing the latter properly might affect the other... but I digress

1) When rowing, when do you breathe? I am still inhaling when I start my pull, and only start to exhale afterward. Is this normal?

2) Guys, how do I put this question... when you row, do they rest above or below the legs? If they are above the legs, I notice them start to slip between the thighs, significantly increasing the chance of squashing. If they are below though, that pulls them down which doesn't hurt as much, but has the potential for much more damage. What is the proper technique? Lol.
Greg, On the vast majority of my rowing pieces, I'm not breathing on the pull, but breath twice on the recovery. (the recovery is the move back towards the front of rower). The ones I don't breath twice is short sprints where I simply don't have time to do so - but still breathe on the recovery.

For Q2 - no idea what you're referring too. What is "they" and "them" ?
.... unless .... If it's your meat and potatoes. I've never noticed this - maybe I'm not endowed enough. I wear underwear (9" compression boxer brief shorts by underarmor) which keeps them in place.

Last edited by Clint Harris; 11-27-2013 at 09:22 PM..
Old 11-27-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
Tate Dimech

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
Greg, On the vast majority of my rowing pieces, I'm not breathing on the pull, but breath twice on the recovery. (the recovery is the move back towards the front of rower). The ones I don't breath twice is short sprints where I simply don't have time to do so - but still breathe on the recovery.

For Q2 - no idea what you're referring too. What is "they" and "them" ?
.... unless .... If it's your meat and potatoes. I've never noticed this - maybe I'm not endowed enough. I wear underwear (9" compression boxer brief shorts by underarmor) which keeps them in place.
Yes he means what you think he means ...

I am rowing, not thinking about where my package is flying!
Old 11-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
Clint Harris

Profile:

Haha - me neither. I guess I've already thought of this before I even put my shoes on. The underwear I wear is much like a sports-bra for my junk. The 9" inseam stops the legs from riding/rolling up, bunching and chafing too.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
Haha - me neither. I guess I've already thought of this before I even put my shoes on. The underwear I wear is much like a sports-bra for my junk. The 9" inseam stops the legs from riding/rolling up, bunching and chafing too.
Yeah, something like that is never an issue for me - I dont think I could ever wear boxers to workout just for that reason. That and I couldnt imagine a freak accident involving bad positioning and a heavy snatch.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
Greg Togtema

Profile:

Hmmm...

I guess I have a confession to make then. There are no sports bras, boxers, or even tighty whities under my shorts. Call it a side effect from when I used to cycle, but that stuff causes bad rashes.

And you guys think only about rowing and not where your junk lies because it is not causing a problem. I once had a swim race where I used too small of a bathing suit, and as much as I wanted to win, I couldn't NOT think about it.

As for my first question, I feel when you are bunched up before you start your pull, you can't take a breath. Anyone else feel this way?
Old 11-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
Clint Harris

Profile:

The underwear I wear is not restrictive, like a sports bra or a pair of budgie smugglers that are a size too small. It's designed to keep them in place - but fits everywhere else in a compressive nature - much like a pair of bike shorts but with a pouch of sorts. I actually wear them everyday.
Look them up - Underarmour BoxerJock with 9" inseam. Could be the best $30 you've ever spent. (get the originals, not the mesh or ribbed etc, they aren't as comfortable)
The material doesn't bunch and the 9" leg stays on my thighs, doesn't ride up. I know all about rashes and chaffing - especially at the beginning of rugby season.

For breathing - no, not really. Make sure you are keeping your posture. It's not unlike setting up for a clean or snatch or being at the bottom of a squat, any other transferable exercise. Keep your posture - big chest and retract your scapulars. Don't round over. Keep a neutral head, bend at the hips etc. You may be going too far down the slide too. Also, at the point you describe - at the bottom about to drive the legs - I've already breathed and are about to hold it; like creating tension for a pull or to lift something heavy.
There's some rowing tutorials on concept2.com (wfs - manufacturers of rowers).

Last edited by Clint Harris; 11-29-2013 at 01:59 PM..
Old 12-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #8
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Rowers wear compression shorts, traditionally called trous (you can Google "Rowing Trou"). I personally like the ones made by Regatta Sport. However, I erg in Under Armour compression shorts all the time and they work fine too.

I've seen some people try to row in boxers, and it often doesn't end well.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:19 AM   #9
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Get the right underwear is vital...if all else fails...pull 'em up man...you do NOT want them under your thighs...ever.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:38 AM   #10
Mark Martinez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Togtema View Post
Hmmm...

As for my first question, I feel when you are bunched up before you start your pull, you can't take a breath. Anyone else feel this way?
You might be reaching too far forward going beyond the one o'clock position and it may be compressing your diaphragm.

Concept 2 has a good description of breathing technique here.

WFS: http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rower...ing-techniques