CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
Scott Parker

Profile:
Looking for a good CrossFit gym in LA/Santa Monica area

I have been throwing around the idea of moving to Los Angeles since it's a good opportunity for work and to have a large part of my graduate tuition paid for through the hospital I could be working at. My only reservations have been being able to find a good quality CF gym.

A little about me, I started CF back in 2002, my first real CF gym was CrossFit San Diego, one of the original 20, then was at CrossFit SoCal (another original 20), and now I am currently at Oceanside Crossfit. I have been to several others as well, tried out other local CF gyms, and to be quite honest, most of them just plain suck, with the exception of the three I've listed, which are all absolutely unbelievable CF facilities, and the best I've even been lucky enough to be a member of.

SO why do I think many of them suck? Well, for different reasons.

1.)Some gyms I've visited are purely focused on their teams, period. This means for your average joe and average jane (which probably is 99% of us here!) you're ignored, or do not get the attention you need, so why pay the price of admission?

2.)Another reason is simply due to the fact that the staff is incredibly green/inexperienced, and do not know how to run a class with more than two people in it. Clients need different things, different cues, different motivation, different corrections, etc. A lot of trainers out there just do not have the experience to teach these movements, let alone teach these movements to a large class effectively.

3.) Their programming sucks. Many gym owners just are not good programmers, plain and simple.

It would be great to find a gym near/around the neighborhood I'd be living in, that has a more old-school CF vibe, with real programming, and competent trainers who actually care about the population of their client base that actually makes up the majority of their membership, and are the ones that are paying the bills and salaries for the owners and trainers, not the select few that are the 'elite'. Is there a gym out there in that area where these things actually exist, because if so, I would have no problem paying the premiums that may of these gyms are asking for these days. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the cost of CF memberships, I just want to get what I am paying for, and not some fly by night CF gym run by a guy who has been doing CF for a year and just got his level one.

Suggestions and recommendations greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by Scott Parker; 06-23-2012 at 03:15 PM..
Old 06-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Re: Looking for a good CrossFit gym in LA/Santa Monica area

Hey Scott, you should definitely visit a bunch of schools out there and find out firsthand which one is a match for you.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:39 AM   #3
Eric R Cohen

Profile:
Re: Looking for a good CrossFit gym in LA/Santa Monica area

Www.Crossfitla.com. Wfs
Crossfit LA is great. I train there whenever i am in LA on business and have had only good experiences.
I think they meet all three of your criteria?
I actually book my hotels so i am near the gym.