CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-04-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
Mani Singh

Profile:
Following the main page or picking and choosing?

Hey folks,

These last 2 months, iv been picking and choosing which workouts i feel like doing some from the mainpage and some from the short, heavy metcon list. Majority are metcons rather than strength based because of access to gyms.

By not following the mainpage structure am i selling myself short and halting progress or is what im doing ok?
Old 03-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
Michael Wengloski

Profile:
Re: Following the main page or picking and choosing?

I wouldn't say you are necessarily selling yourself short by mixing it up, but you could be.

It depends... are you picking a short heavy metcon when you don't like the WOD because it involves, say running, and you hate to run?

If you're going back and forth to mix it up, no biggie, but if you're going back and forth based on what you like/don't like it's a pretty big mistake in my opinion.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
Steven Crawford

Profile:

I started off much the same way, and yes, it is limiting.

By picking and choosing what you do, you're missing out on some of the greatest benefits of CF. In your case it looks like the strength work, in my case it was the metcon's. Missing these workout's, you may still get fitter in certain areas, but not across all 10 areas that CF considers important.

Sounds like you do have access to a gym, and that maybe it's just a bit inconvenient to get to (I'm reading a lot from the wording of your sentence here, I could well be wrong ). If thats the case its really all about priorities, do you really want to get to your physical potential? Following the main page will get you there
Old 03-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #4
Steven Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wengloski View Post
if you're going back and forth based on what you like/don't like it's a pretty big mistake in my opinion.
That's a sure fire way to do Crossfit, without actually doing Crossfit
Old 03-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
Scott Diehl

Profile:

I too started Crossfit as a picker-and-chooser. I was training for Indoc at the time, so I was choosing all the body-weight exercises and metcon stuff, including running/swimming. Now that I'm post-Indoc, I'm having to try real hard to catch up to the power curve on the strength based exercises. My Helen and Cindy are pretty good IMO, but I'll be the first to say that I straight suck at front and back squats and most things overhead. Still looking for that body-weight shoulder press.

So yes, you are probably missing some of the benefits that Crossfit has to offer by picking the workouts you want to do. Maybe you don't want to do the workouts you're not good at?
Old 03-04-2009, 04:25 PM   #6
Mani Singh

Profile:

Thanks for the feedback...the reason im picking and choosing is because of time restrains and because some of the WOD are pretty terrifying or a bit too "hardcore".

Im currently in my last year at university and im trying to fit in around 4-5 hours of studying every evening. I have access to a gym but just dont have the time to go there and come back, especially when i can jump into shorts and do a metcon in my bedroom.

By doing the short, heavy(ish) metcons am i also working on the strength aspect of xfit?
Old 03-04-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
Brian Bedell

Profile:

OP first question: that's not cf, you are leaving out the "cross" part.
OP 2nd Q: Anytime you are lifting weights you are working on the strength aspect. Heavier weights lead to more strength, and less metcon.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
Ryan Whipple

Profile:

I'm going to contribute a dissenting opinion here:

It is true that some who pick and choose are probably doing so to avoid their least favorite workouts. However, it is just as possible to focus in on your weaknesses using the pick and choose method. In my (never quite so) humble opinion, this second method is actually better than following the main page, because you are bringing up your weaknesses and truly becoming fit across a wider range of capacities. This is what CFE and CFSB are all about, and I don't see people shooting those down.

So, to the OP, it depends on what you're picking and why. Give us more info, we'll give you a better answer.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
Steven Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Whipple View Post
However, it is just as possible to focus in on your weaknesses using the pick and choose method. In my (never quite so) humble opinion, this second method is actually better than following the main page, because you are bringing up your weaknesses and truly becoming fit across a wider range of capacities.
If that's what the OP is doing, then yes I agree, it is a pretty good way to go about it. Eventually your 'weaknesses' will become your strengths, and then it will be time to change up your pick and choose rational to work on your new 'weaknesses', which were previously strengths.

Not sure I agree with you on that being what CFE and CFSB are all about. In my opinion, most people doing those programs are doing them to get even better at something they already consider a strength.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

It depends on what your goals are.

If you want to increase your fitness you're probably worse off picking and choosing.

If you want fitness + strength or something other combo you may need to bias it towards something such as heavy metcon.