CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-31-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
David Boyle

Profile:
Pre-workout Supps. Do You All Use Them?

Greetings athletes!

I was curious on what supplements people take in the crossfit genpop? What is your take on preworkout supps like no-explode, shock, or any other caffene based drink. Do you drink em?

I'm not going to kid around. I do sometimes. When I'm doing grinding workouts w/ kettle bells or deadlifts, I love the rush it gives.

However doing high intense wods like fran, helen, or nancy...its hit or miss. Sometimes I feel real good. Other times I feel real dehydrated. I know why about the dehydration, so no need to explain that.

Just wanted an opinion from the masses.

Thanks.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
Nick Shimondle

Profile:
Re: Pre-workout Supps. Do You All Use Them?

Im in the whole food group way of thinking. No supps for me, but just as insurance I take a high quality liquid multi-vitamin.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
Laura Kurth

Profile:

I 'take' coffee for my caffeine needs

As for supps, multi vit on occasion, sometimes a calcium pill. Oh, and fish oil caps.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
David Boyle

Profile:

Yea I'm a big coffee drinker at times too. Caffeine is my addiction. I don't drink alcohol or smoke. So to each his/her own!
Old 07-31-2008, 12:10 PM   #5
Laura Kurth

Profile:

oh, i like alcohol too. But not pre-workout, lol
Old 07-31-2008, 12:17 PM   #6
Frederick Holt III

Profile:

When I was BodyBuilding I tried everything under the sun and personally I prefered NO-Xplode, but doing CF and being on the Zone I don't feel the need to take any of that.

As for other Supplements, I use Animal Pak as a multivitamin 45 min before my workout, and I take Animal Omega for the Omega 3's and 6's (They have a great ratio between the two).

I have also tried 2 cycles of Animal Stak. One during the bodybuilding days, and the other during the CF days.

I found that the Animal Stak really helped my strength gains even after the three week cycle, but endurance wise I didn't see any improvements that I could attribute solely to the Stak.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:19 PM   #7
David Boyle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Holt III View Post
When I was BodyBuilding I tried everything under the sun and personally I prefered NO-Xplode, but doing CF and being on the Zone I don't feel the need to take any of that.

As for other Supplements, I use Animal Pak as a multivitamin 45 min before my workout, and I take Animal Omega for the Omega 3's and 6's (They have a great ratio between the two).

I have also tried 2 cycles of Animal Stak. One during the bodybuilding days, and the other during the CF days.

I found that the Animal Stak really helped my strength gains even after the three week cycle, but endurance wise I didn't see any improvements that I could attribute solely to the Stak.
I love Animal products. They are the best imo. Hands down.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:19 PM   #8
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Black coffee does it for me. Really the only thing I regularly ingest that I should cut down on... not happening anytime soon though.

Alcohol doesn't hurt now and then if the "workout" is wakeboarding or some other sport where a faceplant is going to happen regardless sobriety or not.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:35 PM   #9
Polo Lopez

Profile:

Hey David,

I used to spend so much cash on supps but when I started the Zone after doing the Paleo, I no longer find a need for them except one. And I do a cup of Jo in the AM or sometime during the day.
That being said, I did take NO-xplode, Muscle Milk, and Amino fuel by Twinlab (not all at the same time). I did one cycle of NO and when I started the 2nd I felt sick to my stomach during CF workouts. I switched to Cytosport's Fast Twitch and that was good for awhile, but then it started to make me sick like NO. Workouts like "Fran" put me in nausea land. Stopped taking the Fast Twitch, but I hate not having the pre-workout lift me up.
The Muscle Milk was great and I adjusted it to be Zone friendly, but I started to notice that I would be incredibly hungry after an hour sometimes less. Obviously, the carbs were raising my insulin too much. So no more Muscle Milk.
I started the Amino Fuel again. I never seemed to have any negative effects. Actually seemed to help recovery.
Other than that, I stick to a Zone being about a 5 block eater with 2 block snacks but fluctuates on rest days and follow the WOD daily. I have found the Zone with Fish oil caps to be the best way for me to eat and save me money. I stay at about 153-155 pounds without trying. Most people say I look about 180 pounds. Hope that helps.
BTW, congrats on your Trident.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:38 PM   #10
Frederick Holt III

Profile:

As far as I'm concerned, and until I see results that show otherwise, I am sticking with animal products for life.