CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-18-2008, 04:14 AM   #1
Anand Baasanhu

Profile:
Running while on a squat regime?

I'm doing squats three times a week, mon, wed, fri. It's the Stronglifts 5x5 beginner strength program. Basically you start off with just the bar and add weights every workout but only 5# at a time to develop technique and progression.

I'm getting to the 100# range on my squats and I weight 150. The soreness of my muscles are getting much more noticeable the day after a workout. Well anyways to my question: Is it alright to continue with my running routine while doing squats, despite the pain and discomfort of running with sore legs from squats? I usually run a 7:30-8:00 min/mil pace for 3-5k twice a week.

I need to maintain some endurance and speed on my runs.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:16 AM   #2
Jake Oleander

Profile:
Re: Running while on a squat regime?

you should be fine, just listen to your body. give it a shot and if it feels like you might be over reaching, tone it down.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:35 AM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Depends on how much of a gain in strength you want to acheive.
T/Th's should be a rest day, running is not rest. So, if running is important to you, run, just know at some point, it will hinder your squat gains.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
David Bott

Profile:

Sorry for the hijack but this is relevant to my schedule too. As for doing nothing on rest days, what about the concept of "active rest days" where you don't do the same exercise as you are resting from, but other forms, in this case running as opposes to heavy lifting? Should a rest day be absolute rest or just rest from that particular activity but still doing other activities (I feel kinda dumb asking if it's ok to exercise on a rest day!).
Old 03-18-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott View Post
Sorry for the hijack but this is relevant to my schedule too. As for doing nothing on rest days, what about the concept of "active rest days" where you don't do the same exercise as you are resting from, but other forms, in this case running as opposes to heavy lifting? Should a rest day be absolute rest or just rest from that particular activity but still doing other activities (I feel kinda dumb asking if it's ok to exercise on a rest day!).
Read SS. If you're following THAT program, then rest is rest. Active rest is bull****. Yoga, running, training other body parts is not rest. Walking the dog is about all I want to do, as I know I have another strong workout the next day.
I don't even row on my rest days as that will be working the legs, even at an easy pace, hence I rest.

But let me stress, I'm following Rip's SS program and monitor his Q&A at Strength Mill, and rest is rest, you want to do more, you're either wimping out on the workout or you have this burning ego to do more, go for it,
I'm also a tad older then dirt, hence I need the friggin rest, maybe you don't. Again, don't short change the concept of a lot of sleep, nice easy rest days, ton of good food, i.e. meat, meat and more meat, ton of eggs, milk, veggies, few pieces of fruit.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
David Bott

Profile:

Ah ok so maybe I am over doing it on rest days as I would jog 4-5k or go mtn biking... but then wonder why i was having trouble getting psyched for the SS workout the next day So rest is rest... I can do that!
Old 03-18-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
Anand Baasanhu

Profile:

Yeah I do feel like I am more effective when I rest and then workout but I am scared my running performance will go down.

I need to straighten out my priorities.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:38 PM   #8
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand Baasanhu View Post
Yeah I do feel like I am more effective when I rest and then workout but I am scared my running performance will go down.

I need to straighten out my priorities.
Your last sentence is the crux of the issue... what is your goal?

Do you want to build massive strength and gain mass in a hurry, even if it is at the expense of your cardio/running endurance? Or do you want to maintain your running endurance whilst also increasing your strength, but not nearly as quickly, and with less ultimate mass and strength at the end?

Both are legitimate answers... if your answer is the first, then Jay is 100% correct, rest is rest and running will hinder your goals. But if your answer is the 2nd, go ahead and keep on running. You'll still get very strong, just not AS strong, and it'll take longer. But you won't lose your running. Think about it and do what makes sense.