CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 01:34 PM   #1
Leon Robotham

Profile:
Gym Jones - What's your beef?

http://www.gymjones.com/schedule.php?date=20071231 w/f/s Go down to the bottom and read the blog.

I'm guessing that he's had a bit to drink and then lost sight of the differences between our non-specific strength and conditioning program and any other type of specific training.

Just a snippet of the post

"After having built a 20-year base I fell into the trap of thinking there might be a free lunch. I went against everything I had learned over those 20 years because the argument and its presenter was quite convincing, and I was susceptible to the easier way, the cure-in-a-bottle way, and I wanted the experts to be wrong. I went into it headlong, and received enough positive feedback to swallow the hook rather than letting it set in my lip. Emphasis on short-duration, high-intensity work didn’t strip endurance from me right away, rather the opposite occurred in the beginning. However, 18 months of nothing but short, hard efforts did “cure” my endurance. Despite an ability to go hard for durations up to three hours in length, “hard” is a relative term that didn’t equate to fast in my case. I couldn’t recover quickly from such efforts nor did I improve even after I balanced short, high-intensity work with longer, low-intensity training sessions. I realized that if I didn’t spit up the hook I’d be stuck on the low plateau I’d chosen for the rest of my life. While some are content with mediocre performance – especially if someone keeps telling them its “elite” – I expect better of myself and I’m willing to suffer trying to achieve it.

Personally I think the dude has some major beef here. I finished a half marathon in 1:46 ( a relativley fast and hard effort) with very little endurance training after following the CF WOD predominantly with a couple of relatively mid distance efforts in the mix as well. It's not elite by any stretch of the imagination but the effort and time considering the actual prep was elite IMO LOL.

When I found CF I was'nt hit up with any BS that this would make a super star elite athlete by following WODS alone, I've read many posts which explain in great depth that infact for you to become 'elite' at anything specific training must play a part and to be fair, it's obvious!

funny, coming from Mr 300. Esp after seeing the vids online where he's telling the camera this is the way it must be done!

Old 01-02-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Re: Gym Jones - What's your beef?

Loooong story here.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
Leon Robotham

Profile:

Roger

I know mate,

there's been problems in the past details of which cropped up an awful lot around the time 300 was released. The bloke seems like a right one to me, I mean not a single soul put a gun to that dude's head and forced him to do the wods.

take what is useful to you and your situation and use it, disregard everything else.... Not take away what is useful to you and then slate the person you get it from!

Loved his rant though, he's just earned celebrity tw*t of the year in my opinion.

All the best!

Old 01-02-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
Sean Dunston

Profile:

I read the whole thing.

To me, I didn't see it so much as a slam on CF as much as a slam on him NOT DOING what it took to become an elite cyclist... and now he knows he needs to change his regime in order to be competitive as a cyclist.

I'm sure other people will have a different take on it.

OH - and for the record, I watched The 300 (including the extra tidbits after the film) from the comfort of my couch yesterday!

Old 01-02-2008, 02:31 PM   #5
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Well, if he wants to be able to bike or run for 9,000 hours straight, then he shouldn't be doing CF. Personally, I think that the ability to run fast for half an hour is more useful than 24 hours slow (the thugs will catch you in minutes).

Old 01-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
Barry Cooper

Profile:

Whatever else you might say about Twight, he was categorically world class at ultra endurance, multi-day types of things. To be world class at something like that, you have to specialize. It's that simple.

He apparently thought he could maintain elite specific fitness while maintaining elite general fitness. They are related, but in the end two different animals. Lance Armstrong couldn't do most of our WOD's, but none--or to be generous, few--of us could keep him in sight for more than a few minutes on a bike.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
Nick Cummings

Profile:

To be fair I think you should include this last bit:

"I recovered my endurance by deciding that having a big tank is more important than having a big or a pretty engine. I spent hours on my bike, tuning both engine and tank to my objective. I recovered my endurance when I went back to using my old definition of it, i.e. effort longer than 90 minutes, long enough that fuel supply, hydration, temperature regulation, efficiency and economy, and a psychological state able to enjoy sustained suffering factor in to performance. When I used another man’s definition of endurance a 40-minute run was long and good performance could easily be trained and maintained in the gym. I recovered my endurance when the balance of training information and experience, combined with the realities described in my training log overcame my conviction there was an easier way (though I called it an “efficient” way). As long as the bar is high or distant there is no way but the hard way. How could it be any other way?"

It always boils down to what target you are shooting at. Past actions excluded, to each their own. =)

Old 01-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #8
Leon Robotham

Profile:

Sean

Maybe you're right fella, it was my interpretation that he was having a bit of a childish dig. Perhaps it's the way i've read it but I sensed a not so nice undertone.

Barry

Agreed 100%

Old 01-02-2008, 02:48 PM   #9
Leon Robotham

Profile:

Nick

That's why the link to the full post is there, I agree with you too, each to their own. We all have our specific goals and to reach them we may just have to get a lil specific lol but i'm sure it didn't take the nugget the best part of two years to realise it.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #10
Rob McBee

Profile:

Passive-aggressive much?

People who have personal issues with Coach Glassman need to deal with that instead of trying to discredit Crossfit. It shows a lack of integrity and character.

No one has ever pushed Crossfit as an endurance-specific program. Its odd that it would take anyone years to figure out "broad" and "general".

Closed Thread