CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-31-2008, 12:49 PM   #11
Kevin Mack

Profile:
Re: Pre-workout Supps. Do You All Use Them?

The only good thing about NO-Xplode is the caffeine. If you prefer the taste and expense of it to coffee then that's fine, but arginine isn't necessarily gonna git you swoll and creatine doesn't absorb well when taken with caffeine. I have a shelf full of supps in my pantry that I haven't touched since I started CF. You can come by and get them if you want.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:55 PM   #12
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Have you considered eating Real Food. Amazing how the right combination of Fats/Proteins and Carbs work really well.

Every wonder what the strong men in the late 1800's sup'd with, how about big friggin steaks, tons of farm fresh eggs and milk by the gallon.

Now look at today, scoping crap out of plastic containers, got to love it......
Old 07-31-2008, 05:07 PM   #13
Jay Ashman

Profile:

I used to take NO-Xplode when just normally lifting; on crossfit I think my heart would blow through my chest if I even tried it.

I rely on a simple cup of coffee an hour before now. It works without making me want to grind my teeth off.

As far as Animal products (namely the Animal MultiVit pack), here are two alternatives that BLOW those away. Healthy N Fit Super Nutri Pack and Beverly International Super Pack. Both of those are one pack potencies, unlike Animal Pack's two pack serving size. Both of them have more B vitamins and are easier to take down the hatch.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:30 PM   #14
Thomas Bailly

Profile:

H2O is my pre and post workout supplement of choice

It is proven to do everything all the other supplements claim and it is absolutely free, tastes great, goes down great.
Highly recommended.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:56 AM   #15
Jordan Wilkins

Profile:

I've been hearing things about beta-alanine and i've been researching it but it's still not clear to me how it works. does anybody know what exactly it does or how well it works?
Old 08-01-2008, 01:06 AM   #16
Neil Duncan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Wilkins View Post
I've been hearing things about beta-alanine and i've been researching it but it's still not clear to me how it works. does anybody know what exactly it does or how well it works?
Not sure exactly how B-A works... It's supposed to 'buffer' lactic acid

I've tried it and felt no differences whatsoever apart from some pins and needles 5 mins after drinking lol... plus it is a expensive little supp.

Chicken and Turkey have quite high levels of BA anywhoo iirc
Old 08-01-2008, 01:18 AM   #17
Scott Parker

Profile:

jay (cohen)-

are we part of the "old-school" crossfit mentality of eating real food?! if these thread was posted back in the day it would have been shunned for even mentioning supplements!

seriously, i like your comments best. eat real foo. period. if you're doing that and following the zone you're o.k.

i do however supplement meals with a protein powder, only because when i am at work i rarely get a chance to eat a proper meal in a 12 hour shift, and usually is the difference between at least eating something or not at all. i add some kind of frozen green veggie, froz fruit (berries, acai, etc.), cinnamon, oatmeal, olive oil, nuts, milk (a combination of any of these, not all at once!)

unlike some people i have to eat right before a workout, and the only "supplements" i tak pre-workout is caffine in the form of black coffee!

others swear by supplements, and they're putting up stellar times, but i think a lot of the money you toss into supplements is for their convenience over preparing and eating real food as opposed to their claimed gains in performance.

i have been away from the boards for a bit and it seems like the globo gym diet mentality has crept its way into our CrossFit world! save us robb wolf!

Last edited by Scott Parker; 08-01-2008 at 01:23 AM..
Old 08-01-2008, 08:32 AM   #18
David Boyle

Profile:

Thanks for the feedback ladies and gents.

My current diet is pretty spot on for my activity levels imo. I eat a lot of meat, veggis, fruits, whole-wheat grains, drink about 1 1/2 gallons of water a day, with one cheat day a week. I follow the Zone. Not as strict as some of my fellow comrades out there, but I try to eat clean and natural. No drugs, no beer or liquor, no ciggerates, and I'm a married US Marine with four children. Its tough sometimes! But I wouldn't have it any other way.

When it comes to the supps I just like the caffeine rush. I'm not going to lie:stir: But I do know when I do HIT like CF WODS its hit or miss, when it comes to feeling great or feeling like I'm going to pass out!

Have a great day.

30 M/U's.

Good luck!
Old 08-01-2008, 09:11 AM   #19
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Parker View Post
jay (cohen)-

are we part of the "old-school" crossfit mentality of eating real food?! if these thread was posted back in the day it would have been shunned for even mentioning supplements!

seriously, i like your comments best. eat real foo. period. if you're doing that and following the zone you're o.k.

i do however supplement meals with a protein powder, only because when i am at work i rarely get a chance to eat a proper meal in a 12 hour shift, and usually is the difference between at least eating something or not at all. i add some kind of frozen green veggie, froz fruit (berries, acai, etc.), cinnamon, oatmeal, olive oil, nuts, milk (a combination of any of these, not all at once!)

unlike some people i have to eat right before a workout, and the only "supplements" i tak pre-workout is caffine in the form of black coffee!

others swear by supplements, and they're putting up stellar times, but i think a lot of the money you toss into supplements is for their convenience over preparing and eating real food as opposed to their claimed gains in performance.

i have been away from the boards for a bit and it seems like the globo gym diet mentality has crept its way into our CrossFit world! save us robb wolf!

Agree where you're coming from. Considering making up a batch of Meat Cookies, they can pack a powerful punch pending how you make them.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #20
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo Lopez View Post
Hey David,

I used to spend so much cash on supps but when I started the Zone after doing the Paleo, I no longer find a need for them except one. And I do a cup of Jo in the AM or sometime during the day.

[SNIP]

Other than that, I stick to a Zone being about a 5 block eater with 2 block snacks but fluctuates on rest days and follow the WOD daily. I have found the Zone with Fish oil caps to be the best way for me to eat and save me money. I stay at about 153-155 pounds without trying. Most people say I look about 180 pounds. Hope that helps.
BTW, congrats on your Trident.
Agreed!
Zone it! Get a decent snack (I have a 2 block snack) an hour or so before the WOD and a meal after the WOD - no supps needed.