CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 03:13 PM   #11
Leon Robotham

Profile:
Re: Gym Jones - What's your beef?

Rob

I agree,
passive-aggressive fits the bill perfectly IMO and clearly in yours, I thought I may have read it wrong but after a 2nd and 3rd read I still feel the same.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:25 PM   #12
Tim Donahey

Profile:

I don't get it, is Gym Jones supposed to be the Elite Endurance answer to crossfit?

Old 01-02-2008, 04:03 PM   #13
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Who really cares? CrossFit will remain true to CrossFit regardless of its biggest critic. As long as complaining continues to cost nothing in the free world, we will never stop hearing the end of it from that guy.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:05 PM   #14
Aaron Trent

Profile:

This was undoubtedly a dig at CF, and this is my backing.

"While some are content with mediocre performance – especially if someone keeps telling them its “elite” – I expect better of myself and I’m willing to suffer trying to achieve it."

This really burns me up. There is a difference between "Elite Fitness" and "Elite SPP". A high level CFer IS Elite in being fit, just not a single sport. Twight is an idiot if he thinks you can have both, particularly in an endurance sport. Being a really good bicycle road racer means that you will be really good at, well, racing a bike...
Some athletes will be really good at multiple sports while being elite in a single sport. Among those includes Oly Lifting, Sprinting, Jumping, Gymnastics, and so on. Even a bike sprinter can be decent at other sports.

If Twight wants to pursue cycling to the exclusion of his health, then he can be a really good bike racer with early onset osteoporosis.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:06 PM   #15
David Aguasca

Profile:

i'm not qualified to make an educated, informed opinion about the relationship between twight and glassman....neither are most people on this board. i feel that if you don't have the WHOLE story, it's better left to those two (and others personally involved) to sort out.

as for the fitness-related info...i've been wondering about all that myself. i'm interested in participating in similar endeavors that twight undertook in his earlier days (mountaineering and climbing for long duration). considering his track record in that field, i respect his opinion on the matter. i believe he has a point about the duration of these events being so far outside the time domain of our workouts that long sessions are mandatory. (obvi, it would be in the form of sport specific training)

what i'm curious about is how other ultra-endurance athletes who crossfit train. for example, rob miller's FFA (first free ascent) of the Free Muir, which took them several days on the day of the FFA, would require a good amount of SPP. if anyone knows how much, i'd love to hear it.

there's also a woman (catra, i think) on the boards who is an ultra-runner. correct me if i'm wrong, but along with CF, i think she also puts in a significant amount of running time in (again, obvi) but it seems like the high-intensity, short-duration work isn't hurting her ultra-running abilities, much like twight felt that it was hurting his endurance.

not sure what my point is. just thinking aloud.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #16
Scott Parker

Profile:

basically the whole beef issue (and this has been pounded intot he ground over and over and over) is how credit was not given where credit was due. it's pretty much that simple. i recently checked out mark's site the other day and haven't checked it our before that in a very long time. it seems to have changed quite a bit, in his wording of a lot of stuff. it's a shame, but if you know of him in the climbing world you know he has an ego, and you either love him or hate him. i used to be an enormous fan of twight, read everything he had ever written, loved his attitude, and think he can be misunderstood at times.

i was fortunate enough to meet mark years ago when working at a climbing shop in boulder and was the one who actually turned him on to Crossfit, telling him how it could change the way we train for big mountains, and feel kind of ****ty for doing that now, and never expected any of this to happen. i thought twight and crossfit would be a killer combination. i never expected things to get the way they are now, but after all the smoke cleared and knowing what i know (which is probably more than what most people know, or thinks they know) i sided with crossfit and that's where my loyality is. i based this decision soley on the truth and integrity. it all came down to giving credit where credit was due, plain and simple.

i still think mark is a kick *** athlete, i love his passion and determination and attitude, and will always respect him for the things he has accomplished in the climbing community. you can't argue that he is/was one of the best alpinists of his generation, but was seriously disappointed when he didnt acknoledge where he came from.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:19 PM   #17
Leon Robotham

Profile:

David

I think the point you're making is that while doing CF and some other kind of specific trainining you can indeed become very good at distance efforts like Rob Millers Free Ascent. I'm not sure it's elite because I haven't the foggiest idea on what's elite in the climbing or distance running world.

I guess you'd need to find out More about Rob's training to figure out how it works for him and then try incorporating some of what has worked for him into your life. I think it could be Carrie that your referring to, the better half of Brendan G and a distance runner, could be wrong but from what I can remember I'm sure she used to do something insane like a 15 miler pre WOD!

Old 01-02-2008, 04:29 PM   #18
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Cooper View Post
Lance Armstrong couldn't do most of our WOD's, but none--or to be generous, few--of us could keep him in sight for more than a few minutes on a bike.
None. Absolutely none.

That was absolutely a dig at CF. It's a shame, too, because he's a pretty good writer and has some decent knowledge. But who gives a ****? Every year, Twight has an epiphany of "the new way of suffering" or some such. Didn't he "pour out his cup" to receive new knowledge after Annie kicked his *** at a cert? I guess he poured it out again. At some point, he might want to keep something that cup.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:55 PM   #19
Jake Di Vita

Profile:

I don't know Mark, but 2 very good friends of mine do.

I can see the argument for and against both him and CF...but the bottom line is we are both after the same goals....which is elite fitness (or elite sport specific fitness). I don't think that article was intentioned as a dig but more of a chastization of himself for trying to have it both ways.

The bottom line is, I learn things from the CF website and from the GJ website...and that's why I'm here...to learn and better myself and hopefully others around me.

Coach is a innovator in the respect of how he brought the CF mode of training to so many people. But I'm not sure where the "not giving credit where credit was due" came from? MFT has never stated that all this was his idea...on the contrary he frequently quotes books and people from throughout the 20th century about the mixed modal metcon method of fitness.

The bottom line is that I'm here to train. I can learn a lot from Mark Twight and Gregg Glassman because they are two different people with different perspectives on things. I think it would be ignorant and irresponsible to just write one off because of a personal conflict that involved these 2 (and very few others).

Old 01-02-2008, 05:04 PM   #20
Scott Parker

Profile:

jake-

i am in no way saying that beneficial things can't be gained from either one of the sites, and like i mentioned i visit the site as well, love his videos (eventhough the virtuosity and ROM on a lot of the movements could be better) and think he is an amazing writer.

Closed Thread