CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 11-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
Michael Kabisch

Profile:
Help with bet--Track athletes/coaches advice needed

Guys/gals/coaches--I need help. Here's the situation. Two of my smart *** buddies from Seattle (I'm now in DC) called me out (and are now in their taunting phase) in being able to run a sub-5 minute mile. I'm a level 1 xfit trainer and have been doing my own programming at a local park. Despite lack of equipment, I've been improving in my all around fitness. I ran a mile for time a couple weeks ago (which I don't train for) and hit a 5:15 mile. So, by December 28th my wife has to film me running a sub-5. I'm completely dedicated to this. Can you give me advice or create an actual program that can get me there? I don't have a track background so I don't have the tool set to program that kind of progress in a short amount of time. I've got one month to get there. If you're a track athlete/coach/or know what you're doing and have very specific advice (e.g. week 1-3Xa week 400 meters, 1 minute rest, 5 rounds), I'd follow it to a T. Thanks a million!

PS-stakes are high. I believe loser may have to post pic an incredibly humiliating pic of himself on his Facebook account for 24 hours. Think middle aged man + women's underwear.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Help with bet--Track athletes/coaches advice needed

How'd you feel on that 5:15? I bet since you aren't a trained runner, you could go out there with a little work on your pacing and be able to do it.

I'm no track coach, my only track experience since early high school was the intramural track meet my senior year of college on something like two weeks training, but I have been 4:51, and I'm pretty sure I split by 400s 1:08-1:14-1:16-1:13. IMO you need to be able to feel the right pace for you. If you have the running base, 400s I think are the right way to go. It's not about running them all-out though, you have to be able to come up with the right pace for a mile and be able to hold it and know what it feels like.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
Daniela Jantzen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kabisch View Post
.... Think middle aged man + women's underwear.
So... how can I find your facebook account....?

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Point is - if you want to run faster, you have to train running faster.
Actually, there is some kind of fartlek training program which might help you achieving your goal.

http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts...essive-results
(wfs)

Simple - but very effective.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:24 AM   #4
Michael Kabisch

Profile:

Thanks for the responses!

Jeff-it was a tough mile at 5:15 but a) I lacked incentive I have now b) I was running without music which helps me greatly. Your advice is good. I was thinking that need to hit those splits or be under before the last lap on the 400s--I can't be behind. If I'm under by lap 4, the adrenaline should kick in and I may be able to muscle through it. I'm going to work on pacing as close to a 1:15 this weekend and see how it feels and see where I fall off.

Daniela-I'm going to check out the link. I like it--in order to run faster you have to train running faster. I'm familiar with fartlek. I think I can easily integrate into the next 3-4 weeks. I'm going to start this weekend.

Thanks! Mike

PS-I'll send you my FB account address if I lose. Those may not be the stakes. I should be hearing back from the Seattle boys in a few days. I'm sure they are thinking up something equally humiliating if they don't chose that. Their decision will be based on whether or not they believe I can do it. If they lose, stakes are the same.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
Mark Martinez

Profile:

I've used this in the past to help people pass their AFPT tests. Just tailor it to your mile specific goal.

WFS: http://www.military.com/military-fit...n-your-pft-run
Old 11-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Michael - I would recommend training at something faster than 1:15. First off, you are definitely going to want to start off faster than that. Secondly, a 1:15 on the third repeat of a 400 with rest in between is not going to feel anything near the same as the 3rd 400 of a mile. To me, pacing is more about replicating the effort and feel of the desired pace than the exact time itself.

When you're actually running this thing, you shouldn't be thinking about just going 5 or better. You should be thinking about running your best mile possible. So if, say, you go through the first 400 at 1:05 and still feel smooth, don't let up any extra, and vice versa.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #7
Michael Kabisch

Profile:

Jeff-

Thanks-You're right. My fear was that I wanted to make sure that I didn't burn out by coming out of the gate too hard. I'd love to build some cushion but not at the cost of being done by the third lap.

Here is your quote:
"To me, pacing is more about replicating the effort and feel of the desired pace than the exact time itself."

So, from this I think you're saying don't focus on the time but rather the effort. And if I'm feeling good, go harder. Don't worry about the time. Worry about putting out my best effort. If my effort is there and I'm in sub-5 shape, the time will be there. This makes sense. I'm going with it. Thanks for the advice!
Old 12-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
Jeff Enge

Profile:

No prob, I'd love to run the thing with you, I haven't timed a mile in at least a couple years and would be interested to see where I'm at... plus competition always helps, and my affiliate has a lot more strength-bias than speed-biased athletes. Alas, Washington is a little out of my travel range currently.

And that's exactly what I meant. You just need to be able to identify what a certain amount of effort will output timewise at different points in the run. How's the training coming?
Old 12-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
Clint Harris

Profile:

I'm thinking 400m repeats and stuff too, but I'd be tempted to leave a mile test until game day. It'd be much like doing a 1RM test every day so that you can PR a 1RM.
Obviously, you want a pace of 1:14.9 to hit your mark. So perhaps a protocol something like this would help. They are at the pace you require (even though you could bust out faster each time), it's so you learn how to run that fast without hurting yourself, but aren't a full mile either. Then sprinkle a few 2-3 mile runs in there too - run at about 80% pace I'd say.

Mon
6x400m repeat run each one at a pace of 1:12-1:15. Rest 90s between walking 200m

Wed 3x800m 2:25-2:30 pace. Rest 2 mins or walk 400m

Thurs 4x400m @ 1:12-1:14

Sat 1x800m @2:25-28, 6x400m @ 1:14

Then the next week, increase the reps. Like 8x400 on mon, 4x800 on Wed, 6x400 thurs, then 2x800 and 8 x400.
Then you have one week until you test right ? So take a bit easier. Maybe run 2-3 mile easy one day, run 5x400m repeat another. Then rest and be fresh for the test.

Essentially, it all boils down to running a little further at your pace rather than the same distance harder.

BTW: Im not a trainer nor track athlete or anything. I have done this type of stuff before for sports, it's just my educated guess at what may work. (I'd run the 2 mile test when I was in the military under 10 minutes often .... but usually I was hung-over so it was usually 11 ) Nowadays, I think I'd be lucky to break a 6 minute mile. Haven't tried a max (not sure I want to either ....)

Last edited by Clint Harris; 12-06-2012 at 02:25 PM..
Old 12-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #10
Mike Donalds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kabisch View Post
Guys/gals/coaches--I need help. Here's the situation. Two of my smart *** buddies from Seattle (I'm now in DC) called me out (and are now in their taunting phase) in being able to run a sub-5 minute mile. I'm a level 1 xfit trainer and have been doing my own programming at a local park. Despite lack of equipment, I've been improving in my all around fitness. I ran a mile for time a couple weeks ago (which I don't train for) and hit a 5:15 mile. So, by December 28th my wife has to film me running a sub-5. I'm completely dedicated to this. Can you give me advice or create an actual program that can get me there? I don't have a track background so I don't have the tool set to program that kind of progress in a short amount of time. I've got one month to get there. If you're a track athlete/coach/or know what you're doing and have very specific advice (e.g. week 1-3Xa week 400 meters, 1 minute rest, 5 rounds), I'd follow it to a T. Thanks a million!

PS-stakes are high. I believe loser may have to post pic an incredibly humiliating pic of himself on his Facebook account for 24 hours. Think middle aged man + women's underwear.
Moral of the story:
Don't make bets you can't win.