CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-24-2015, 11:41 AM   #11
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:
Re: My latest article - PML for Optimized Recovery

Chris,

I read the article and started with a cable based machine bench with about 40 lbs. Initially I misunderstood and was doing 3 sets of around 20. I reread the article and switched to one set of 20.

The pain at that level is no more than it is without any work at all.

The discomfort has morphed from "just" a pain at the elbow joint when pressing to that, lessened, and a fatigued pain in my triceps when pressing.

I have been doing high rep bicep and forearm work as well, as I believe it will, has, helped.

I have also been rolling it out as per Supple Leopard.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:00 PM   #12
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
Chris,

I read the article and started with a cable based machine bench with about 40 lbs. Initially I misunderstood and was doing 3 sets of around 20. I reread the article and switched to one set of 20.

The pain at that level is no more than it is without any work at all.

The discomfort has morphed from "just" a pain at the elbow joint when pressing to that, lessened, and a fatigued pain in my triceps when pressing.

I have been doing high rep bicep and forearm work as well, as I believe it will, has, helped.

I have also been rolling it out as per Supple Leopard.
I would 100% skip the rolling. I know Starrett's stuff is considered to be beyond question by many in the CF world, but I assure you that rolling it out will do nothing to promote your recovery.

Fatigued pain, if I am understanding you properly, sounds just fine. I'm good with the additional stuff for the biceps and forearms.

Just to be clear, the elbows are not feeling like they are getting worse? You said you started with 40 lbs, where are you now, and how long has it taken you to get there?
Old 01-25-2015, 06:00 PM   #13
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
I had planned to use this with my girl friend before Chris posted this link.

She has a tear in an elbow tendon. She is famous for pushing too hard. My thinking was she needed to start light, give her tendon time to heal and strengthen. I know muscles adapt much faster then connective tissue and I think this is part of what got her in trouble.

She was not happy about the pink #4 dumbbells she had to use to curl with little or no pain but it seems to be working well. In only a couple of workouts she went from some pain to little or no pain.

We have her doing 3 x 20 at close to pain free weights.

Bench was as low as #30
Lat pull downs #45
DB Press #10
DB Curls #4
Triceps extensions #20

The good news is before we started the super light work the elbow wasn't getting better. Now it is showing clear signs of improvement.

We will increase weight very slowly always with the goal of little or no pain.
That's excellent! Yes, patience is the Achille's heel for most athletes with this sort of a program (myself included).
Old 01-25-2015, 06:22 PM   #14
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

I just started. I will be at 55 tomorrow.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:45 PM   #15
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
I just started. I will be at 55 tomorrow.
Ok, cool. Adjust progression by gauging your body's response.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:50 AM   #16
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Chris or Brendan,

Do you see a value in multiple high rep sets, perhaps even lowering the weights but increasing the volume?

I ask this because I'm not "taxed" off of one set. And because I see Brendan included it in his approach.

I have been beaten into a state of reasonableness with this. No amount of my own stupidity has fixed this, I am willing to follow direction.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:18 AM   #17
Joel Chapman

Profile:

Interesting article. It reminds me of a chapter in Bill Starr's The Strongest Shall Survive.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:50 PM   #18
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Chris or Brendan,

Do you see a value in multiple high rep sets, perhaps even lowering the weights but increasing the volume?

I ask this because I'm not "taxed" off of one set. And because I see Brendan included it in his approach.

I have been beaten into a state of reasonableness with this. No amount of my own stupidity has fixed this, I am willing to follow direction.
My initial recommendation is one set especially if done daily, but there is certainly individuality in terms of what is best for each person. You can experiment with a bit more volume to see how it works for you if you like. Whatever you do, don't go overboard. We want to mechanically stress without exacerbating the issue.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:21 AM   #19
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Got it, thank you.