CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 02-25-2008, 02:21 PM   #1
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Tosh Does Grace

So they posted a WOD video of some dude doing Grace. In the video they describes Grace as the bar starting on the ground and ending up overhead, getting the work done however as fast as possible (paraphrase). The guy then proceeded to do 30 quick power clean and push jerks. I just thought this was interesting because a while back there was quite a large thread where everyone continuted to tell the thread starter that Grace had to be a full squat clean and jerk. I guess there's really no point to this thread other than to make the observation that grace does not in fact have to be a full squat clean. In fact it sounds like it doesn't even really HAVE to be a clean at all, that just seems like the best way to do it.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:26 PM   #2
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Re: Tosh Does Grace

That was not the conclusion. The conclusion was that Grace and Isabel are ground-to-overhead anyhow.

We've been there for a while but I don't think the questions will ever stop coming.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:03 PM   #3
Matt Thomas

Profile:

So technically if I wanted to I could do grace with a snatch?

(let the jokes commence -_-)
Old 02-25-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
Brandon Oto

Profile:

"In one motion" versus "in two motions" are the general distinctions there. No, it's not logically unambiguous, but you're supposed to be doing the workouts rather than finding ways to do Grace with Turkish getups.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:25 PM   #5
Matt Thomas

Profile:

That would be very impressive though yes?
Old 02-25-2008, 03:31 PM   #6
Derek Maffett

Profile:

I don't really care what Rx'd is in terms of Elizabeth/Grace/Isabel. Mix it up and do them different ways. The best times, and thus the best metcon workout, will come from power clean/snatch and squat jerk. However, there are benefits to doing full squat cleans and even split jerks. And I think that the full squat snatch is much more beneficial (as long as you aren't risking injury) than the power snatch.

Just write down how you did the workout. If you're not competing then it doesn't matter anyways.

And yes, things have already concluded with ground-to-overhead-anyway.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #7
John Edmondson

Profile:

This may be the first and last time a Crossfitter refers to Tosh as "some dude," given that he's a highly decorated war hero. Not to mention that he's a beast knockin' on the door of a sub-2:00 minute "Grace." Found that a little humorous.
All I'm sayin'.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:04 PM   #8
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Uh. I wasn't trying to be disrespectful. I mean I have great respect for anyone who serves. I serve myself. Haven't made it to war yet though. But seriously unless he wants to tattoo his credentials on his forehead I have no idea who he is...sorry if I'm out of the loop. So you'll have to forgive me if I didn't write my post with the title "decorated war hero and crossfit beast Tosh does Grace." I've never seen him, met him, or heard of him before so, to me, he's just another guy. A very impressively fit guy, but just another guy. No disrespect intended.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:18 PM   #9
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Heh...yeah not sure where Grace being full cleans came from...Isabel was originally rx'd as snatch and Grace originally as "anyhow" though...in other words much like the square and rectangle...an Isabel is always a Grace, but a Grace isn't necessarily an Isabel...follow?

Although changing Grace to Cln & J and keeping Isabel as Snatch seems appropriate...(as they are in the FAQ)

BT

I'd love to see someone do 30 135# T-Get-ups...or single arm cln & jrk or snatch...Anyone know any popular girls names in the Turkish dialects? The names for the one arm versions could be "Gracie" and "Belle"...
Old 02-25-2008, 04:40 PM   #10
Brandon Oto

Profile:

No... Grace was always 30 clean and jerks and Isabel was always 30 snatches, both done "anyhow." They're separate workouts.

Unless I missed an episode.