CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-06-2008, 09:09 PM   #1
Sam Cannons

Profile:
POSE Video/Book

Has any one got a review on Dr Ramanov's Pose products, i am looking at either his book or DVD ?
Old 02-12-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
Sam Cannons

Profile:
Re: POSE Video/Book

No takers ?
Old 03-06-2008, 10:42 PM   #3
Ian Carey

Profile:

the training DVD is very useful for the running drills, to improve personal skill or to train others and coach. He does most of the demo's himself on the one I have. If you really want to improve your POSE get it, but I'd say attend a cert. to get the real feedback.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:46 AM   #4
Dave Henry

Profile:

I have the main book and the drill book on route.... I was going to sign up for the training , but I am already a good runner. So I decided to get the books and if they had the same effect that reading the book starting strength did for me that I would go and see him in person.

PS i will be training with Rip shortly.... looking forward to that.

when I get the books I will drop my review on here
Old 03-07-2008, 08:31 AM   #5
Chris Robinson

Profile:

I'll also be interested to hear your feedback on the book and DVD. $85 is a lot to spend on something that isn't extremely useful.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:19 PM   #6
Dave Henry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Robinson View Post
I'll also be interested to hear your feedback on the book and DVD. $85 is a lot to spend on something that isn't extremely useful.
This whole crossfit "thing" is about expanding your horizons, and being powerful across different domains. Do I blindly follow everything that I see on the page, NO.... but I will poke my head around and see what all the buzz is about. There are a lot of high performance athletes in individual sport that back up the knowledge of each of the people attached to the program.

I just ordered the books (maybe $50), but you wouldn't pay $85 to clean up your running technique and make you faster without getting stronger? I'm just saying its a pretty bold statement for someone that doesn't own the books, in a community that is based on knowledge/technique based fitness.
As I said before,running comes naturally to me, so I have a tough time correcting faults in others....( thats what I hope I get out of the books)
and If I get faster or correct faults that I don't even know I have... that would be great. Are my expectations high, not really.... but there hasn't been anything in this community that when I immerse myself in the knowledge that I'm blown away by the end result.

its like telling a person that back squats 500+ lbs to go see Mark Rippetoe, does he need to? probably not because he is already doing everything right or he wouldn't be lifting that weight. But does that mean he can explain to a person with very limited flexibility how to build up to the same thing, probably not.

another example of technique based training, and I know they are very similar is the "total immersion swimming".(great book btw) my speed has increased significantly after reading that book. would my speed be the same as it is now if i went to train with a local coach.... my bet is no, because when I swim the local coach just tells them to swim more....
Old 03-07-2008, 02:48 PM   #7
Chris Robinson

Profile:

I think you misinterpreted my statement. I was not saying that I think the book and/or DVD are not useful. I have no idea whether they are or not, hence my intrest in hearing the feedback. I was saying that I want to make sure they are worth $85 because spending that much on something that doesn't tell me anything more than what I can read off of various forums or see in the drills posted on google is a poor use of my money.

I have no problem spending money on products that will help me improve. That's why I've bought kettlebells, rings, an ab mat, and the Total Immersion and Starting Strength books. I've also made paralletes, a sandbag, and medicine balls. I just want to make sure that what I'm spending money on will in fact help me improve.

Last edited by Chris Robinson; 03-07-2008 at 02:57 PM..
Old 03-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
Sam Cannons

Profile:

Going to a Cert would be the best bet i'm sure but living in Australia puts that and a lot of Xfit stuff way out the window !
Old 07-07-2008, 12:08 AM   #9
Chris Robinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Henry View Post
I have the main book and the drill book on route.... I was going to sign up for the training , but I am already a good runner. So I decided to get the books and if they had the same effect that reading the book starting strength did for me that I would go and see him in person.

PS i will be training with Rip shortly.... looking forward to that.

when I get the books I will drop my review on here
Dave, what are your thoughts on the books?
Old 07-07-2008, 03:40 AM   #10
Dave Henry

Profile:

Ah yes, I forgot all about my book review...
Ok I got the book in a reasonable time, shipping was pretty quick to canada.
The book took me a little while to get through in the same way that, reading enter the zone did. Dr. Romanov spends so much time defending why pose running is better than regular running. I can't remember exactly how many pages I was into the book before I actually had a clue what pose running was but it was more than 100..... I forced my self to keep on trucking and once I had finished the longest introduction ever, in my opinion. I was presented with legitimate drills and knowledge in the same way that everything else is presented in this community. common faults and corrections. He gave drills and the cause and for failure and weak form. The stretching and warm up part of the book has taken some of my athletes that could not squat with the depth of a dynamax ball to that stage after completing this only a few times. In the same way I could have watched a squat before crossfit and been blind to the errors, I'm seeing major faults in many of my athletes in running technique.
As far as legitimizing the knowledge in the book, I have been able to run a faster 400m than I have recorded before.... I have also been crossfitting and O lifting... I would say this is also to blame.... but the way I felt running my first ever 59 sec 400m was just muscularly tired not gassed and thats huge as far as I'm concerned. I formally used to just use my lunge power/will power to get me through something like that.
I am a bit of a hobby man/animal tracker and much of the knowledge of gate analysis is very overlapped to the knowledge I've been presented with before (Tom Brown - Guide to Nature observation an tracking) which is filled with tracking drills that actually changed the way that I run and strike the ground, and I beleive is a major reason I have no need for orthotics to this day.

Overall rating of the book is a tough one because the knowledge in the book is great, but it is presented in the same repetitive and supposedly inspirational way that the "zone" book is... I was really annoyed with when I read it.
But I'm a person that looks at end result, and I'm personally comfortable in pose running and it has made me faster, and I can see and correct faults in my athletes now.
I did also buy the drill book and I haven't made much use of it, if you buy a pack of tabs and highlight your book you will have no reason for the drill book. It is in my plans in the future to see Dr.Romanov and become a pose coach.... this is a valid technique and worth investing some time into.

This means that the book is worth the money to the average crossfitter and the reading the book and then moving onto the cert would probably be the way to go for any affiliate, or serious runner.