CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-10-2005, 05:33 AM   #1
Graham Tidey

Profile:
I'm gonna try it anyway, hopefully tommorow or the day after but I'm looking for a real fat, mean thing. Something around 33 pounds would be nice. Having never tried a home made basketball medicine ball I don't have experience with what give the rubber has or what kind of volume you can get inside.

But I was thinking of putting wet sand in and plastering it to the edges of the ball and then putting some pebbles or maybe one heavy stone in the middle and adding more sand. Or perhaps just wet sand would have the same effect.

Any opinions? It'll ideally act like a dumbell for some exercises like swings, squats etc as well as all the usual medicine ball stuff.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:19 AM   #2
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I'm not sure a rock would be that much more dense than wet sand. Now lead pellets... then you might be onto something.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:35 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

I've used "river rock" (rounded pebbles); seems to come out about the same weight as wet sand . . . standard basketball = 22-25 pounds.

Wet sand (eventually) dries out, however, and the ball gets lighter.

The homemade duct-taped things do also eventually leak (sooner if you use them for slam-ball). Sand leaks out (annoying), but then you add more duct tape, so the ball stays about the same weight.

My versions with river rock are newer, so they haven't started leaking yet ... not sure whether they are going to be more, or less, annoying than sand, when they finally do.

If you want a basketball-sized ball to be heavier (as you suggest), I think you're going to have to go to lead or steel shot (that would be awesome) or heavy chain link in the ball.

Old 07-10-2005, 01:37 PM   #4
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
i lined the inside of my old soccer ball with a gallon ziploc bag and then filled the bag with wet sand. Duct taped the ziploc securely and then duct taped the hole in the ball. the wet sand only brought my grand total to about 10#.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:15 AM   #5
Graham Tidey

Profile:
Mayhaps I should try filling it with cement, but a cement with more parts sand?
Old 07-11-2005, 01:06 PM   #6
Joshua Newman

Profile:
We've been tossing around a David Wood River Rock Special at CF NYC, and it seems to be holding up thus far. It is, however, a little 'lumpier' than a sand-filled ball. Which, in my mind, is actually a 'feature', as it adds a grip challenge to the other benefits of med ball work. As the group is likely to put greater wear and tear on the ball than David will with his own at home, I'll keep everyone posted as to durability.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:56 PM   #7
David Heyer

Profile:
I have a basketball stuffed with some rags and a 16 lb. shotput. It wobbles all over the place during wallball.

Dave
Old 07-21-2005, 12:10 PM   #8
Daniel Overvoll

Profile:
My homemade Walmart basketball with Playground sand comes in @ 23.5 pounds. If you added steel or lead shot to the sand mix, I think it would be easy to get your 30 lb. ball, and it would still be more forgiving on your face during wallball mishaps. Personal Experience.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:33 AM   #9
Graham Tidey

Profile:
Well I made her and she's a beaut.

I used a dead heavy stone that was on a couple of hundred year old stone wall here in the countryside put inside about four carrier bags along with as much sand as I could stuff inside the ball. Add 20 meters of gaffa tape and it's done!

It is officially one heavy SOB. Maybe 13kg, though I have yet to find scales to weigh it.

I'm finding tonnes of stuff to do with it. For BJJ I lie down, put it on the crown of my forehead and do my usual neck exercises. But a lot, lot less of them.

Oh yeah already forgot that theres a big rock inside and dropped it on my head.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:04 PM   #10
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Made my basketball med ball...22.5 pounds.