CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-19-2013, 05:01 AM   #1
mike vinson

Profile:
Achillies

ive been CF for a few months. ive lost wt, gotten stronger and mobility is better. everything is going as advertised. my problem is if i sit (car, desk, couch) for an hour or more. my achillies are super tight. i almost hobble for about 10 yards then it loosens up and i seem to be fine. getting out of bed is the worst, it takes maybe 10 minutes to get going. i dont remember this before i started CF. is this just part of being 45 or can i fix this through stretching/training...as always thanks, mike
Old 04-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
Megan Zetter

Profile:
Re: Achillies

It sounds like you may be over doing it. Tight muscles are often tired muscles. Or tight muscles can be over facilitated muscles, or both. That said, I'd reduce the work load and get on the foam roll. Keep in mind you are at the prime age for Achilles tendon rupture ...
Old 04-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:

Getting out of bed, after sleeping...and lying down?

So it hurts after laying down for long time, and sitting? Is the correct?

You also work the muscles of your feet with a golf ball to help. I agree with the first part of what the previous post mentions in regards to working to loosen those muscles; but you need to find out why they are tight. If its from when your sitting or laying down, and get more loose when you start moving, it's likely the problem is elsewhere.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:44 AM   #4
mike vinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Getting out of bed, after sleeping...and lying down?

So it hurts after laying down for long time, and sitting? Is the correct?

You also work the muscles of your feet with a golf ball to help. I agree with the first part of what the previous post mentions in regards to working to loosen those muscles; but you need to find out why they are tight. If its from when your sitting or laying down, and get more loose when you start moving, it's likely the problem is elsewhere.
i wouldnt say that it "hurts" but both are extremely tight, enough to make it hard to get around until they loosen up. what do you mean by "problem is elsewhere?" ive done a little research on here and now im almost afraid to do box and rope jumps. im going to start doing some rolling exercises so maybe that'll help.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
Brian Strump

Profile:

"Problem is elsewhere" = Your tight calves are a symptom of something else. They compensate for a problem elsewhere.

An exam and history would be helpful, but from what you said, that would be my WAG. You said when you sit in car, chair, and laying down they get tight? You should not even be using your calves when laying down, or in a chair, so how/why do you suppose they'd be tight, if that were the primary problem? They are more likely tight because some other muscles, elsewhere are not giving your body the stability it needs....thus, your body tries to create it with tightening the calf muscles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vinson View Post
i wouldnt say that it "hurts" but both are extremely tight, enough to make it hard to get around until they loosen up. what do you mean by "problem is elsewhere?" ive done a little research on here and now im almost afraid to do box and rope jumps. im going to start doing some rolling exercises so maybe that'll help.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
mike vinson

Profile:

hmm, ok...so if my quads, hams, core are weak that could cause problems in me achillies? that's interesting...so just keep trying to get stronger in those areas? i just dont wont to pop one but i also dont want to stop workout out either. i finally jogged 1/2 a mile without stopping today...i high fived 4 people in the gym.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
Brian Strump

Profile:

Don't think stronger, think functioning properly. If a muscle, group of muscles are inhibited, they are not necessarily weak, just not functioning correctly when needed.

For instance, you deadlift is 300#. However, you come to me complaining of LBP, or some other kind of complaint. Tightness, pain somewhere. Upon exam, I find deep core stabilizers weak. If at the end, I suspect that the lower back is tight and painful to compensate for inhibited deep core stabilizers. Our work would be to relax the lower back musculature, AND get the deep core to start to, in essence, turn back on. It's possible, after treatment, you go deadlift the next day, and 1rm increases, I've seen as much as 40lbs. Not bragging, but want to show that it's not that the core was weak, but was not functioning properly when called upon during the deadlift.

Make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vinson View Post
hmm, ok...so if my quads, hams, core are weak that could cause problems in me achillies? that's interesting...so just keep trying to get stronger in those areas? i just dont wont to pop one but i also dont want to stop workout out either. i finally jogged 1/2 a mile without stopping today...i high fived 4 people in the gym.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #8
Daniel Pope

Profile:

Wow! Lots of people with achilles pain lately on the forum!

Anyway, I agree with what everyone else is saying here. I just left a few long posts on achilles pain so I'll just paste here:

If the pain does not go away in about 1-2 weeks with rest then you might be dealing with a longer lasting tendon disease known as tendinopathy.

That basically means the tendon starts growing abnormally due to the stress it receives (i.e. from box jumps, running and double unders). Over time you may have gotten to a critical point where you start experiencing pain. (It may be a blessing in disguise given that this condition may lead to an achilles rupture and most people with tendinopathy don't experience any issues before they end up with a rupture) Healing this issue has a few steps.

1) Unload - Take out the offending exercises. Modify where you need to. At this point the tendon needs some time off. (box jumps, running, double unders, burps - whatever hurts)

2) Reload - Eccentric exercises are the standard treatment for tendinopathy therapy at this point. Good old heel lifts. Up with two legs, down with one. Add weight as you can. 2-3 times per week for up to 10-12 weeks. (It can take 6 weeks or more for the pain to start to subside). Stretching can be helpful as well but as Brian mentioned it won't fix the problem. Start adding in small amounts of specific exercises as you can tolerate them such as regular jump rope, box jumps with a step-downs, light running drills etc.

3) Prevent - Figure out what caused this pain in the first place. I wrote a pretty extensive list of modifications and reasons people can develop these issues in the article below. Ie: it could be technique, your program

Evidence based treatment of achilles tendinopathy

Podcast discussing treatment and modifications to prevent and treat tendinopathy and achilles rupture.

Get back to us and let us know how things are going. Hang in there!
Old 05-15-2013, 01:55 AM   #9
Carolyn McKinnon

Profile:

That's interesting that you mentioned that, often, people suffer ruptures without having experienced pain before, because that was definitely my situation. I had never had any achilles issues, no pain, niggles, anything. So I couldn't quite believe it when it ruptured out of the blue.

Could you clarify that you suggest not doing heel-lifts on one leg? My physio has recently told me to start working on heel lifts on one leg, I'm not at the stage where I can yet but the plan is to start soon. When I do, should I do as you said and perform heel lifts up with two and down on one leg?

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #10
Daniel Pope

Profile:

Hey Carolyn,

Listen to your PT definitely. Eccentrics are only part of a comprehensive therapy program. Eccentrics are mainly used in patients that have a tendinopathy, not necessarily a rupture. The protocol after a rupture will depend on the injury, the surgeon, the individual etc.

Eccentric exercises basically stress the lowering/negative (lengthening while under tension) portion of an exercise. Ask your PT about it. What you're doing right now is probably perfect for your stage in rehab.

I hope I didn't confuse anyone!

Goodluck.