CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:46 AM   #1
Adam Del Vecchio

Profile:
Inspired by all the great responses to Michael's post I thought I would ask a similar question. My girlfriend and I are hoping to move out west later this spring (currently in New Hampshire) but are having difficulty deciding exactly where. We both love the outdoors, hiking, skiing, climbing, kayaking, ect. and she has to be close to a place with a womens rugby team (up to an hour away is fine with her)

As far as work goes she is planning on becoming a teacher, just finished school in December, so she would probably be able to find work just about anywhere. I have primarily worked as a kayak/ climbing guide, ski tech, and retail sales but am interested in working for the park/forest service in the future. In the meantime I am willing to do just about anything for a few months to a year until we get settled.

We are also looking for a town similar to those in central/ northern NH. Not to big and crowded but not completely isolated either. In other words we like more rural settings but need the amenities of a larger town nearby. With these things in mind we have started looking around Salt Lake UT, Portland OR, northern CA, and CO, but are open to any suggestions as well. Any and all comments are welcome and greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give the full picture, thanks in advance.

-Adam Del Vecchio
Old 03-13-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
I'd consider living near Seattle, WA as well, you'll find much of the same outdoors opportunities as you would in Oregon, which is on your list, but without the Oregonians (BONUS!). OR and WA compare favorably to the other states as well, I've lived in both CO and CA for extended lengths of time. Nix on Utah : )

Not sure about rugby teams,... but there's plenty of rural areas not too far from Seattle... don't know the best areas though for more rural feel, Puyallup comes to mind, maybe Port Orchard, or up north of Everett.

You may find areas that remind you of the northeast over here, but it's a different flavor culture wise.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:25 PM   #3
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Adam:

I'm a huge fan of Salt Lake and Park City. Everything you want is there. We've owned property there on and off for years.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:50 PM   #4
John Tuitele

Profile:
Bend, Oregon always looked like an interesting place. Also Spokane.

Not sure about the women's rugby offerings in either. I've trained a few Rugby girls, and they scare me. :giveup:
Old 03-15-2007, 09:07 PM   #5
Kevin Michaelsen

Profile:  
Adam, I'm a native New Hampshire-ite. The military has brought me to Colorado Springs and I'm here to stay. I love it here. Lots of skiing, hiking, rafting/kayaking... you name it. Most people live on the "Front Range" from Pueblo to Colorado Springs to Denver to Boulder to Fort Collins. Boulder and Fort Collins are both college towns and have a cool vibe. Boulder is pretty expensive, but lots of fun. Colorado Springs doesn't have the college town vibe, but still has lots to do, is much more affordable, and has lots of jobs. There are several small town similar to North Conway, NH if that's what you're looking for. Do a search for Nederland and Lyons. Both are rural, but within 30 mins of Boulder. There are a handful of Crossfit affiliates on the Front Range, so that helps. PM me for more info.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:27 PM   #6
Damon Stewart

Profile:
I live in Ogden UT, about 20 mi north of SLC. I wouldn't recommend Utah if you could move to another western state. Go somewhere that has all the Outdoors but none of the culture shock. It's like a different country where everyone speaks English. If you don't have any kids and you can live near or in Park City I'd maybe consider UT. Personally I love Bend area or pretty much anywhere in ID.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:07 PM   #7
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Hey now, what's wrong with Oregonians???

Being as how I live in Oregon, I'd have to say you'd probably want to check out Bend, OR along with its surrounding areas.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:13 PM   #8
Adam Del Vecchio

Profile:
Thanks for all the responses so far. After looking into it some more we've narrowed it down to Hood River area of OR, or possibly Durango, CO (partialy because I already know I have a job there to help get me started if I want it) Anywone have any opinions on these areas? Thanks again,

-Adam Del Vecchio