CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-19-2006, 06:30 PM   #1
Mark Brinton

Profile:
I've been noticing that my left side collar bone clicks (moves?) when I do pushups. This clicking becomes more pronounced the more concentrated (feet elevated) the pushup becomes. However, it is not noticable when I do dips or handstands. Its not really painful. There is some discomfort but mostly its an annoyance. Is this a side effect of a separated shoulder? I raise this possibility because I had an episode where I thought I felt something give in my left shoulder while finishing up a pullup. I had basically worked the shoulder past exhaustion and it went passive in the hang. Things were a bit "loose" for awhile but my shoulders (and pullups) recovered nicely. I did see an orthopedic surgeon and got x-rays. He said everything looked good (a touch of arthritis was all). I'd appreciate any insight into this annoying condition. I can live with having my collar bone rub something during pushups but what I'd like to hear is that this is something that will just "go away" with time.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 04-19-2006, 08:03 PM   #2
Kenneth R Davis

Profile:
Mark,

I'm new to CrossFit and started a VERY aggressive program. I'd do the WODs then work on Dips, hand stands, L-holds, and other skills I hadn't done much. I began noticing an increasing pain in my left clavicle with the dips, but kept dipping away, doing more and deeper. To make a long story short(er) I ended up with a stress fracture in my left clavicle. This really hurt for a day until I got a figure-8 brace on. This may not be what you're dealing with. But, it did reenforce what every orthopedist has told me: If it hurts stop doing it... I wish I had.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:04 PM   #3
Mark Brinton

Profile:
Hmm, sounds similar. I'm wondering if the x-rays were too localized to the shoulder joint to reveal any clavicle anomalies? Stress fractures are often hard to detect? Kenneth, sounds like we're having similar experiences in crossfit progress. I started in late 12/2005 (class of NY Times Article). What I didn't appreciate, at the time, was how "unresilient" my connective tissue was. My shoulders today are just so much more resilient then when I started. I also had a "deadlift gone bad" incident that left me with a sore back for about a month. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:46 PM   #4
Kenneth R Davis

Profile:
Mark,

I saw the NY Times article as well and that got me into C.F. too. I also fell into the common trap of thinking I was already fit and should be able to do the WODs as listed. I've since read, and agree, that WODs should be scaled back to whatever level of fitness you're starting at. My own goal is to take 6 months or even longer to get up to do all the WODs and I might never get to doing the lifts with the bigger weights. My larger goal is to avoid injury.

Stress fractures typically take 10 days to show up on a plain film. That's why it didn't show up on the day of injury...I guess.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:26 PM   #5
Mark Brinton

Profile:
Kenneth,

I guess its not so surprising, given the common circumstances, that we arrived at the same place. After my shoulder and deadlift "adventures", I decided that I was out of my depth and that to do any of the oly lifts (or power lifts for that matter), I would need to get professional instruction. I had two one-on-one sessions with Dave Werner at Crossfit North and its really helped. I was doing (and probably still do) all sorts of little things wrong. My range of motion on pullups was lousy. I thought my squats were good but found out otherwise. Anyway, my expectations have been appropriately adjusted. I love the CF protocol but have developed a healthy respect for the dangers associated with ignorance.

I haven't done any pushups in about 4 days (seems like forever with respect to "Crossfit Time"). I'll give it a few more days and try it out again. If I still feel the clicking then I'll go back to the my doctor.

Mark
Old 04-21-2006, 09:28 PM   #6
Mark Brinton

Profile:
BTW; do I recall correctly? You posted what I thought was a pretty good time in either the 5K WOD or 10K WOD last week.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:49 PM   #7
Kenneth R Davis

Profile:
Mark,

I'm going to the crossfit seminar in Santa Cruz next month to try and fill in many of the questions I have about it. I can only imagine how my olympic "lifts" will be torn apart by the critical eyes of the guys out there.

I've been running all my life. I try to stay around 6:30min/mil, but lately have slipped back to 6:40. However, when the crossfit calls for these short little runs, I go all out and do 6 min/miles. This is all on a treadmill. I live in San Antonio, where I avoid the sun and the heat as much as I can. Treadmills make running very easy. Usually don't do as well outside.