CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:56 AM   #1
Tim Carr

Profile:  
Guest Contributors Wanted

I am new to CrossFit, and because I have a fitness site of my own I wish to introduce myself to the CrossFit community as a fellow fitness enthusiast with a semi-agenda.

I was told by one of the CrossFit moderators that Cross Fit has a lot of very knowledgeable people within the Cross Fit community, and I wanted to invite some serious strength trainers within the CrossFit community to be guest contributors at my web site.

This is not a paid service mind you. This is just an opportunity for you to get additional exposure on the internet by using your creative writing skills to talk about strength training and have one of your columns posted

I am rather selective, so let me be honest by saying that in order to be a contributor at my site you need to have at least 10 years of training experience under your belt. It would also be nice if you have a gift for writing. If you would like to discuss it, search my profile for ways to contact me. I am not hard to find.

Thanks, and I hope to talk to one of you soon.

Timothy Carr

(PS: to the moderators of CrossFit: If this post is in violation of your policies and procedures, please let me know ASAP. I read your terms and conditions and this post seemed to be OK, but if it is not I want to know.
Thanks)

Last edited by Lynne Pitts; 09-25-2007 at 03:30 PM..
Old 09-25-2007, 09:45 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Guest Contributors Wanted

Well, that's nice I guess. There's probably very few people that have all of the qualifications and the amount of time you're looking for..
Old 09-25-2007, 03:33 PM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:

Couple of violations: you posted a link without clarifying whether or not it was work and family safe. See the site rules, if you haven't.

Second, from the same site rules/acceptable use policy you agreed to as a condition of your membership:

Please don't use the board for personal announcements and profiteering. A discretely placed website reference is generally considered acceptable, but the board is not a place for non-CrossFit organizations to advertise their programs.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:04 PM   #4
Frank C Ollis

Profile:

Tim,
Seriously bro, you need to be a real member of the community, show a willingness to help others. We have everything on this site from Doctors, Research Scientists, No **** Olympic Trainers, professional fighters, fire fighters, and more MIL/LEO Operators than you can shake a stick at.

We have the Heroes who lend their names to workouts. Coach Glassman, Lincoln Brigham, Mike Burgener, Greg Amundsen, Roger Harrel, Ewa T, Lynne Pitts, Buddy Lee, John Hackleman, Tony Blauer, Jake Shannon, Tyler Haas, ad nauseum! To come on here and say, on your third post, that you are selective? Wow. Wrong approach pal.

Join the family, or
Old 09-25-2007, 08:45 PM   #5
Tim Carr

Profile:  

Thanks for the input.

I would not be profiting from anyones contributions to my site. In fact, they would be profiting by gaining added exposure.

Second, the site is family safe. If you had bothered to look at it you would know that, but I suppose going to a web site to check it out for yourself takes too much effort.

Third, I had no real interest to do anything other than introduce myself and try to make some friends by connecting with people of a similar interest. What I get instead is a bunch of attitude from some forum bullies who don't like someone playing in their sandbox.

That's cool

To each his or her own.

As for being selective, you can count on me being just that. I don't have to have any one person from this community contributing to my site. It was merely an invitation which has flatly been turned down by some forum bully who presumes to speak on behalf of the others at this site.

Cool.

As you said, I can "join the family" or walk. I will choose the latter.

Feel free to cancel my account any time.

Last edited by Tim Carr; 09-25-2007 at 08:56 PM..
Old 09-25-2007, 09:53 PM   #6
Trevor Thompson

Profile:

Whoa, talk about arrogance. Thanks for spotting this poster fast and grabbing the rule book to throw at him. What a bummer to have this stuff float around.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:09 PM   #7
Tim Carr

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Patrick Thompson View Post
Whoa, talk about arrogance. Thanks for spotting this poster fast and grabbing the rule book to throw at him. What a bummer to have this stuff float around.
It's not arrogance Trevor. It's love.

I am endeavoring to make my site the best site of its kind on the Internet. I am in talks with several individuals at present, some of whom are presidents and lead designers of some of the largest strength companies in the world. This is not an exaggeration. It's the truth. In a few short weeks I will have articles appearing on my site.

While doing some research on Ironmind Enterprises, I stumbled upon CrossFit. I decided to just register, introduce myself and see if anyone wished to participate at my site. In the meantime, I planned to get to know people here and make some friends. Clearly, I have come to the wrong place. I am glad I found out sooner rather than later. I want to personally thank you all for such a warm welcome. That goes for administration as well.

I wish everyone at CrossFit the best. I ask the Admin to please cancel my account immediately.

Thank you.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:21 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

I think you're getting bent out of shape about nothing.

First off, we all put work and family safe in our links because some people check the site at their work or at home near their family. You don't want pictures of half naked women (t-nation ahem) or other random stuff popping out and embarrassing you or creating unnecessarily tense situations in homes. That's just the rules.

Second, well, I knew it was just exposure. I mean, there's tons of knowledgable people around here, but I don't think most are in your qualifications for writing anything. I happen to have a very good knowledge of a few specific areas like gymnastics... but I don't have like 10 years coaching or certifications or anything like that. I just share what I know, and other people share what they know and we learn from each other.

Third, Frank doesn't really speak for all of us. You don't necessarily have to "join the family" or take a hike.. just hang around for your own knowledge or perhaps helping other people as well. I personally don't follow CF WOD that often because I am specifically pursuing a couple of goals of mine right now that I put ahead of general physical preparedness. Of course, there's also tons on the board who do follow WOD and think its the best thing ever.

In any case, there's tons of people that are friendly here if you want to discuss fitness or anything like that. I guess a couple of the people that responded didn't really like the "ad" way that you came in here wiht your first few posts, but that's really nothing to worry about as long as you don't persist with it.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:32 PM   #9
Tim Carr

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
I think you're getting bent out of shape about nothing.

First off, we all put work and family safe in our links because some people check the site at their work or at home near their family. You don't want pictures of half naked women (t-nation ahem) or other random stuff popping out and embarrassing you or creating unnecessarily tense situations in homes. That's just the rules.

Second, well, I knew it was just exposure. I mean, there's tons of knowledgable people around here, but I don't think most are in your qualifications for writing anything. I happen to have a very good knowledge of a few specific areas like gymnastics... but I don't have like 10 years coaching or certifications or anything like that. I just share what I know, and other people share what they know and we learn from each other.

Third, Frank doesn't really speak for all of us. You don't necessarily have to "join the family" or take a hike.. just hang around for your own knowledge or perhaps helping other people as well. I personally don't follow CF WOD that often because I am specifically pursuing a couple of goals of mine right now that I put ahead of general physical preparedness. Of course, there's also tons on the board who do follow WOD and think its the best thing ever.

In any case, there's tons of people that are friendly here if you want to discuss fitness or anything like that. I guess a couple of the people that responded didn't really like the "ad" way that you came in here wiht your first few posts, but that's really nothing to worry about as long as you don't persist with it.
Steve thanks for the nice reply. I really appreciate it. I just wish the other folks had taken the time to check me out before coming to false conclusions about me. All any of them had to do was just talk to me.

My reasons for being selective are not to hurt anyone's feelings or look down upon anyones experiences, but I clearly can't have contributors talking about squatting techniques if they have never done a single set of squats.

I have been training since I was 14 years old. I am now 45. That's 31 years. I have seen it all and I am still learning more each and every day. I just think it takes about ten years of applied experience (or more) to get a good sense of what it takes to train the body properly.

At any rate, as I said I wish everyone at CrossFit the best. Look's like a great site.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:55 AM   #10
Frank C Ollis

Profile:

Tim,
To respond to your PM (which I will not post) in a public forum, here goes.

Steven is right, no one on this forum, with the exception of Moderators, speaks for anyone but themselves. No one on this site wants you to cancel your account, although I see you have. By all means, open another. This site is all about the free exchange of ideas within a structured set of rules. My problem was not with what you did, it was with how you did it. I would venture a guess that over half the people on this site have their own websites, which they sometimes link to. People can and do benifit financially from being members of this forum, Tyler Haas with his rings, and Jake Shannon over at Scientific Wrestling come immediately to mind. The point is, they fully participate in the board, and have for a while. Tyler has given advice on homemade rings, and Jake does the same on redneck engineered MaceBells. If I asked Tyler for help with my Muscle Up, god knows I need it, I have no doubt he would help.

As for me being a Bully? That one I refuse to respond to.

It takes all kinds of people to make this work, please don't just quit. I can tell from some of the things in your PM that you would be a valuable addition to the blog. Overcoming Cystic Fibrosis is no joke, and I give you respect for that.

Also, like Fonzi, this is hard for me, I am sorry for the .

If you would like to talk to me directly, I will PM you my number.