CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 05-14-2012, 05:14 AM   #1
Nathan Schnur

Profile:
What am I doing wrong??

My back squat seems to be really weak, im not sure what im doing wrong here, could anyone help me out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o5D9o6h_JI&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQeq4yjc-nk&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZKfIA8Kuvo&sns=em

Also can anyone shed some light on what im doing wrong on my snatch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX5KeuOGZiM&sns=em

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-14-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: What am I doing wrong??

For the squat your head and upper body seem to loose. You shouldn't really be moving your head at all. Keep it locked in neutral. Upper back and arms should be tense and locking the bar in place. Upper back should be pushing against the bar, arms/hands should be pinning it in place.

Depth looked pretty good, but from the side view it looks like you are folding over your self. Try to keep chest up and push the knees out on the way down so you squat between your legs instead of folding into them.

No comment on the snatch, it is an area I'm barely knowledgeable about.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:48 AM   #3
Nathan Schnur

Profile:

Thanks! I did realize my upper body was not so solid. Will try to push knees out when going down.

I forgot to say this earlier

ALL LINKS WFS!!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
Richard Colon

Profile:

Back Squat

You move your head too much. You unrack it, step back and have to check the ground in front of you to see where you are standing, if feet are set, etc. Lose the mirror. Develop that awareness on your own. That head thing transfers itself once you start to stand up. Your eyes are fixed a bit when you start the eccentric portion of the Squat but once you start to stand, your head is down. That will clearly make you round your back.

That is your biggest issue I see. Once that happens, you are just about done. You won't recover from that. Your body follows your head. If your head isn't fixed and tight, pushed back into the bar, your upper back will round at the bottom of the squat, you will hunch forward, all sorts of crazy stuff.

There is no better Squat advice on the planet in my opinion than this here

Video is NOT WFS because of language. Massive dudes with 1k# Squats can say what they want on video.

Watch every video 60x. Do it for rounds! Digest it and most importantly use it. The tight thing has helped me greatly, regardless of high bar, olympic, low bar, powerlifting squat - whatever.

In regards to Snatch. First, you screw around with the bar too much. I lost patience watching you squish and twist your hands into position. Then your set-up started with a$$ to high and rounding of the back. Again, your back is rounding. It is clearly weak (not being negative, but honest) and will be an issue overall. Address that! Activate your lats to keep chest big and the bar close to you. As you start to stand, keep the back angle for as long as you can, sweeping the bar towards you. Keeping lats involved and back angle in place allows you to use your legs/hips to get the bar overhead. Your arms are just rubberbands. With your start, your rounded back puts you in a bad position from the start. You need arms and all sorts of stuff to overcome the load pulling down on you, so you pull with arms and just do generally bad stuff.

The first step is don't worry much about the Snatch and other Olympic lifts. At least at moderate to high weights. If your back is weak, you won't Back Squat much. You won't Front Squat for $hit thats for sure. If you don't have that, then you have no true Clean & Jerk because a heavy Clean will crush you at the bottom.
Check this out - another video WFS! No back issues there.

I've always remembered the following line: A Back is to strong people what Biceps are to bodybuilders. Start with heavy rows (Barbell, DB), Back Squats to get used to weight on upper back...matter of fact, just look at that Elite FTS site in the squat link, check under exercises and do what they do for Back (lower and upper).

Back Squats, Front Squats, O-lifts, Deadlifts and all that stuff won't matter with a weak back. With a weak back you won't be strong. If you aren't strong, all the Crossfit in the world won't matter. Look at the recent regionals. That stuff wasn't exactly light and accomodating to weak backs...

I think I've offered enough. Make it happen!

Last edited by Richard Colon; 05-14-2012 at 09:13 AM..
Old 05-14-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
There is no better Squat advice on the planet in my opinion than this here

Video is NOT WFS because of language. Massive dudes with 1k# Squats can say what they want on video.
I have to disagree with the advice to use the "so you think you can squat" video for learning how to squat. What guys who squat 1000+ lbs and train with mono-lifts, training partners, gear and suits, on gear, and squatting power-lifter style do doesn't always resonate with someone trying to high bar or low bar squat.

OP I agree you are just too loose all around, tighten up everything and keep your head neutral, you're bobbing it around too much. As for a weak squat food and LP or a solid program will fix that.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
Ben Joven

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Schnur View Post
My back squat seems to be really weak, im not sure what im doing wrong here, could anyone help me out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o5D9o6h_JI&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQeq4yjc-nk&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZKfIA8Kuvo&sns=em

Also can anyone shed some light on what im doing wrong on my snatch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX5KeuOGZiM&sns=em

Thanks for the help!
Looks like there's a little hitch when you're going utilizing your lower back to get the bar up.

My deadlift had really helped my squat, you might want to look into DL'ing more.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

You squat isn't bad. Turn your toes forward though, as forward your hips and ankles will allow for now (12-1 o'clock, no more). High bar squat is all about keeping your spine as vertical as possible. Fight for this, especially out of the hole. Aggressively shoving the knees out helps with this. Don't let your butt/hips come up first. Not even a little bit. Some coaches even teach athletes to unlock the knees first from the top down, as so many overemphasize the shoving back of the butt due to too much time spent low bar squatting and thus a posterior dominant squat. I personally prefer to unlock both simultaneously at the top, though this requires an extra degree of control.

Also, notice how you start out with your neck cranked way up and then as you hit peak loading out of the bottom it immediately is pulled into a more neutral position? Hmm, maybe it's a better loading position in the first place? (hint: it is). Neutral cervical spine (neck) position is best, as it reinforces what needs to happen down below. You can still look up if you like, but neck should be neutral the whole time.

Kudos for snatching 170# with iron plates on yoga mats (lol). You will have to ditch weights soon as you approach 200#, so hopefully you don't get kicked out. Your first pull is horizontal and atrocious, but you recover well for your 2nd and 3rd pull, which could just be faster, but that generally happens as needed with heavier weights. You will not get away with that horizontal pull much longer, so fix it now. Set up in the bottom as vertical as possible again (and quit messing around as others have said), and fight to maintain that through the first pull. Watch some videos of good lifters and how they setup. There is some personal preference/routine to it all, but most of it is pretty methodical and deliberate.

Do not allow yourself to pull fast from the floor until you can maintain essentially the same back angle as your best high bar back squat angle (which is already way higher, but could be more). These positions are strongly connected through each movement which is why it is incredibly important to practice them as if they are, especially early on. Great positioning is primary, then add weight to practice moving faster in the same pattern. Keep filming and watch the weights go up as your positioning improves! Good luck.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
Nathan Schnur

Profile:

WOW!! Thank you guys so much! I'm snatching and squatting tomorrow, so I will post vids by 6 cdt.

Definitely cutting out the screwing with bar on snatch, feel like I can never grip it right.

Going to start adding in heavy Dl's, and a sh*t ton more food.

@Mauricio- yea not an optimal gym, but being in school I cant afford to join a box yet. Hopefully getting a level 1 cert. Come august. Might help my situation all around!

Again thanks guys!
Old 05-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
Hollie Jacobs

Profile:

Good videos! And thanks Mauricio for the tips on the squat. Can't usually get it right myself.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #10
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Get your butt lower on the start of the snatch and keep it there. Right now you back is absolutely horizontal at the start. Fix that.