CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 07-21-2008, 09:09 PM   #1
Bonny Guang

Profile:
Bonny Goes to China

Hello folks. Usually I keep my workout log on my blogspot, http://bonnybonbons.blogspot.com. (wfs) However, I have unpleasantly discovered that a lot of sites don't work consistently for you amidst the Great Firewall. The whole Google complex is one of them. I panicked a lot when my e-mail wouldn't load for like 15 hours.

However, the CrossFit boards have always worked so far, so I'm going to start a temporary log here while I'm in China. Maybe it will become permanent, who knows?

Anyway, I'm Bonny, 18, 5'8", somewhere from 160-170lbs, 24-25% BF. I threw shotput in high school and will probably throw that and hammer in college. I'm also interested in gymnastics, parkour, and MMA.

So far today:
Woke up at 6:30, too late to beat the Taichi people to the park, so skipped rope, practiced cartwheels and practiced handstands on the road for a half hour.

Did my 9 burpees for the burpee challenge at my dad's office. I'm there because I pretty much destroyed my laptop screwing around with Linux.

When I get home, if I have time I plan to do a metcon.

Goals for the month:
-straight-legged cartwheel
-10 second handstand
-30 second frog stand
-30 second L-tuck
-a pistol
-25 pushups in a row

On another note, all my goals have to do with bodyweight stuff because the 3 gyms I've visited so far have been like 100% machines, and because I'm traveling a lot.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:24 AM   #2
Bonny Guang

Profile:
Re: Bonny Goes to China

Okay so workout #2:
20 lunge and twists
10 broad jumps
3 rounds for time

8:08

also spent 10 minutes skipping rope and practicing the frog stand. my longest attempt was for 10 counts.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
Bonny Guang

Profile:

Shanghai is disgusting. Yesterday was a high of 95 degrees F with 59% humidity. Today is a high of 100.4 degrees F.

I didn't know people could sweat that much. Except like, the Shanghainese always looked utterly composed. In fact, most of them were wearing long pants. LONG PANTS WHAT. I don't understand how can people wear jeans and a SWEATER here.

I'm staying with my friend, and her dad was like, Oh yeah, a lot of people put on sweaters here at night because they think, oh 80 degrees, it's cold! I was like, . These people must not have sweat glands.

---

Anyway, woke up this morning at 5:40 and went for a run. Conditions outside: 87.8 degrees F, 79% humidity.

I had no idea where I was running and had no cool technogizmos to tell me how far I ran, (also I realized I forgot to bring my watch) but I was outside for a total of about 50 minutes. Walked for about 10 minutes. My normal long distance running pace comes out to 8:30/mile, but we'll say I ran 9:00/mile, so that's like 5 miles. Around an 8k.

Didn't do my burpees yesterday, so warmed up with them today. 21 done.

I never realized how hard it is to run in pollution, heat and humidity.

Last edited by Bonny Guang; 07-23-2008 at 04:30 PM..
Old 07-24-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
Bonny Guang

Profile:

lol I suck.

I meant to do 100 burpees, but I was so unmotivated that I only did 25. I was like, I JUST WANNA GO BACK INSIDE TO THE AC.

Oh well. My 12 burpees are done for today, anyway.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
Bonny Guang

Profile:

k so back in Beijing. I was supposed to head out to QingDao with my family right after I got back, but they all ended up sick while I was gone, so my dad said some other weekend.

I'm going to try to get some tickets for Olympic weightlifting. If I end up with them it will be pretty cool. If Casey Burgener ends up going it will be double cool.

I broke down yesterday and had two shaobins, which are like bread but less puffy and a lot more flour-y. I expected to feel like crap, but afterwards my energy shot through the roof. It's been really good this morning too. I think I'm definitely a person that needs more carbs, because there was like a week back in May when I was only doing paleo, ended up with 50-80g of carbs a day, and felt like a steaming pile of dog poop. Back to grains, maybe?

-3x10 one-leg stepups, as shown in the beastskills pistol tutorial. (wfs)
-frog stand practice. had an epiphany, which is that you should be looking at some point far out in front of you, not directly down at the ground, and suddenly hit 15s.
-GTG 15 pushups

-1 hour of handstand, cartwheel and frogstand practice. Handstands are still coming along, cartwheels are terrible, but I hit 30s in the frogstand. I guess it was just a balance issue.
-10 minutes jumproping
-21-15-9 air squats, pushups [16:10]
-going to be GTGing pushups in sets of 7 throughout the day. I'll post how many sets I've done at the end.

Should also mention that my burpees are done for the day.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:18 PM   #6
Daniel Olmstead

Profile:

Hey Bonny -

How's the air in Beijing? I heard they were going to shut off all the factories or something shortly before the Olympics to try and ease the pollution - is it still really bad?
Old 07-28-2008, 03:29 AM   #7
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Hi Bonny! Nice work with the frog stands!
It's interesting to hear what it's like over there.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:37 AM   #8
Bonny Guang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Olmstead View Post
Hey Bonny -

How's the air in Beijing? I heard they were going to shut off all the factories or something shortly before the Olympics to try and ease the pollution - is it still really bad?
Air's a giant haze. It'll be a huge shock the first time you go, and yeah, it's pretty bad. I actually lived in Beijing when I was 11, up until I turned 13 though, and the air is SO much better now than it was then. Beijing has made some huge improvements.

They've already shut down a lot of the coal factories, actually. Right now what they're doing is enacting a law so that only cars that have a license plate with an odd last digit can drive on odd days, and only cars with a license plate with an even last digit can drive on even days, in an attempt to reduce car pollution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Lore View Post
Hi Bonny! Nice work with the frog stands!
It's interesting to hear what it's like over there.
Thanks!
Old 07-29-2008, 06:39 AM   #9
Bonny Guang

Profile:

-16 burpees due today. All done.
-Did frog stand, jumprope practice. No handstand or cartwheels, because I was going to look at videos and try to correct my form.
-150 squats for time [7:42] (this looked so easy on paper...)

---

Gonna buy me some parallettes tomorrow. Maybe cheap China-made rings too, if I find them. Heh.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:03 AM   #10
Bonny Guang

Profile:

Wednesday - 073008
Rest day. Greased the pushup groove, did my burpees for the challenge, practiced frog stands and handstands and cartwheels, bought some parallettes. Also had some DQ.

Thursday - 073108
I've been eating grains for the past few days and feel as good as ever. Also my hip and waist measurements went down some more. I don't eat it in excess or anything, I would say the bulk of the volume of my carbs is from veggies, but it's pretty good.

Was going to go running this morning, but my mom just got here, and she woke up around the same time as me and wanted to come with, so I just walked around with her and did handstands and cartwheels on the sidewalk instead. Spent about a total of 1.5 hours just walking around.

I brought my jumprope too, and we switched off jumproping. My mom totally schooled me. She could do running in place and double unders with ease. She even did a few triple unders! She's 55... pretty damn impressive, I say. I was taking videos, and I wish I could've gotten the triple unders, but my battery died like 3 seconds before she started doing them.

Other things of note are that I hit the 30 second L-tuck today. Also did a quick pushup trial and got 23 unbroken. I went up to 25, but I wouldn't call the last 2 pushups, lol.

Last day of July... let's take a look at my end-of-the-month goals:
-straight-legged cartwheel
-10 second handstand
-(Done!) 30 second frog stand
-(Done!) 30 second L-tuck

-a pistol
-25 pushups in a row

Cartwheel I'm confident I'll get in the next month if I practice a lot, but at the same time I'm not sure how to go about it. Eh.

Same thing for handstands. Just practice, I guess. I'm close; I can get around 7 seconds in a free handstand right now.

I am not going to have a pistol within the next month. Lulz.

Fairly close to 25 pushups. If I try again in a few more days I should have it.

I'm heading out on a train tonight to HangZhou. Should get there about 9 or 10 in the morning the next day. I'll make up my August goals then and post them tomorrow when I get there. =)