CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-27-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
Steve Forman

Profile:
What Am I doing Wrong????

started a new job a work, so decided to change the workout routine at the same time, I wanted to SHOCK things up a little. the plan was 3 weeks then back to normal.

14 days now, hitting it pretty hard. 6 days a week working out, doing CF plus some. 3 days a week do double days. 630 am CF and noon doing modified run or stairs with push ups and sit ups and pull ups.

Diet has been eyeballed zoned ( I measured for year and stopped about 4 months ago) no real changed in diet at all over the last 14 days.

My problem is I feel bloated, heavy and scale says in 14 days I have gained 5lbs. energy level has been good for the workouts. Not what I was trying to do. Am I over training or is it something else????

steve
Old 04-27-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Re: What Am I doing Wrong????

I don't know if the symptoms really sound like over training, but otherwise your schedule certainly sounds like it could be a factor. You have 1 rest day and you're doing double-up days? Recipe for disaster, if you ask me.

You may have put on water weight, may be muscle mass, or may be your body responding to being over trained by retaining fat. I don't really know, but it sounds like you need to rethink your schedule a bit and/or take some time off to recover and start anew.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:10 PM   #3
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Overtraining is hard to spot until it actually occurs, at which point you have to take a good amount of time off to recover. Signs of overtraining are: performance decrease, feeling tired all the time when you get enough sleep, not wanting to go to the gym when you love working out, lack of work ethic, etc. Anything pretty much along those lines. You should back off a bit if you think you are overtraining. From the looks of it, it sounds like you are overtraining. I can't imagine doing Angie at 6:30am and then doing more push-up, sit-ups, and pull-ups in the afternoon.

As far as weight is concerned, when did you weigh yourself? You have to weigh yourself at the same time everyday in order to get an accurate measurment. I like weighing myself in the morning before I eat anything because there is nothing in my system that would make me weigh heavier than I actually am.

As far as being bloated, I would say it is because you might have eaten some food that you normally don't eat, but you said that is not the case so I am unsure of that one.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:52 AM   #4
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

I do not know much, but I asked that same question when I got here and I was only doing CF WOD's seven day's a week as opposed to your two-a-days.

I felt that if I slowed down or took a break I would lose something. After everyone in here told me to slow down and to do the WOD's as Rx'ed 3 on one off and things not only improved, my overall output was better, my body looks a 100% better and my performance in the workout's is outstanding.

I would say slow it down and do the wod's as Rx'ed, you may get better results.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
Alix Clark

Profile:

I feel your frustration. I feel like I'm training like crazy, eating 80% good stuff and nothing's moving (BW or BF). I'm feeling fit and strong and love exercising but wouldn't mind seeing some visible results. Have been CFing for about a month - working out consistently before that (running and PT sessions that were kind of CF without me knowing it). I love fruit (breakfast, mid-morning snack, afternoon snack and after dinner) - is that likely to be a problem? My other vice (jeez, is fruit a vice??!!) is Diet Coke - I have about 3-4 cans a day (down from 8-10 and yes, I have an addictive personality!). Any thoughts (and I know I haven't given a lot of detail here) would be appreciated.
thanks
a
Old 05-01-2008, 12:02 AM   #6
CR

Profile:

Hey Steve, I was doing the same as you for a while and ended up with with the same adverse results. Your body is working so hard, are you eating enough for all the that you are doing? That was my biggest issue,and could have a lot to do with it. Eat for performance and take those rest days. I would do the exact same schedule you would, and I could never figure out why my BF wasn't dropping. Doing the official warmup, and the WOD's as rx'd take a lot out of you. I found when I want to workout more than once per day I do something fun and active or work on flexibility/stretching etc. Your body needs that rest and recovery time your performance and results depends on it. And lastly are you getting enough sleep? As xfit says "constantly varied"....in every aspect of it takes a while to play around with the combinations that work for you.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:05 AM   #7
Chad Skola

Profile:

Coach told a story about Greg Amudson starting to do two-a-days and with in a short period of time broke down and could not take it anymore. He told coach his plan and he let him do it asking for updates. When Greg came to him and told him how bad it was going coach told him "I know". They point is coach does not just pick random schedules. He is posting what he KNOWS will work and what will yield results. The body doesn't change overnight. You have to give it time to recover. It take longer to recover then it does to break you down.

I would recommend following Coach's 3 on 1 of and be patient. If you dont wake up the next morning and see results keep going results will follow with patients and dedication to a regular training schedule.

If you do want to do something everyday. Work on flexability on the of days and form with pvc pipes or something. Just let your body rest sometimes.
70in/150#Go to my website to make a donation to a young 13 year old. Your donation will help make living with Cerebral Palsy a little bit easier. His name is Dax and his story can be found from my site also.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:00 AM   #8
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Alix, not to get too far off topic from the original post but here's my $0.02.

Re: Fruit -- I don't pay attention to the nay-saying about fruit usually. Fruit makes up a part of almost every meal and snack that I have during the day. I usually have 1 piece of fruit (apple, orange, pear, banana, etc.), and then fill up the rest of the carbs with other veggies (4 blocks).

Fruit is going to be higher GI and probably not as great as eating a majority of your carbs from veggies, but 4 blocks from veggies is no easy task, and my own personal experience is that the difference is negligible as far as performance and energy goes. So I'm going against the grain here probably, but I say go nuts with the fruit. It's sugary, but it's still great for you.

Re: Diet Coke -- ditch it! Some interesting posts recently about the effects of diet soda. The general idea (and I'm not 100% sure if there is scientific proof of this yet) is that your body's insulin will still spike, even with a diet soda. So while you may not be getting the carbs, calories, etc. from it that you would be getting from a regular coke, it's still spiking your insulin, and ultimately causing you to retain some of that fat. Add on the extra additives in it, and all of the synthetic junk they use to replace the sugar with, and all-in-all I'd venture to say you're probably better off just drinking regular coke. Even better: phase it out of your diet all together; especially that many cans a day.

Forget about the "It's diet; it's good for me" mentality.