CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-30-2008, 04:45 AM   #1
Kristi Folowell

Profile:
Zone in China

All,

I am currently having a really hard time trying to stay on the zone here in China. I am here for a month and do not have the option of cooking my own food. Primarily the food we are getting everyday is swimming in sauces or oil. I have plenty of access to vegetables and fruit, but am having a really hard time getting access to protein that is not deep fried or swimming in sauce. (Or some strange portion of an animal or animal ie: chicken feet or scorpion) I have been focusing my meals primarily on taking in fruits and vegetables and some nuts that I get access to. Every now and then we have some meat that is not deep fried. My question is what other takes might be on eating the meat even if it is deep fried and swimming in sauce or if others would just forego the meat and concentrate on the vegetables and fruit. I have been avoiding the rice (which I might add is incredibly hard since it is at every meal) and trying to make sure that the majority of my carbs are vegetables and fruit. The only problem I can see with my diet, besides the large quantities of oil and sauces, is the lack in protein. Also there is no real access to milk (which is always hot), cheese, or yogurt. Any ideas or suggestions would be great. I am going to scour the local market this week, but was hoping for some suggestions from others that have found themselves in a similar situation or just might have some good ideas. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:21 AM   #2
Derek Franks

Profile:
Re: Zone in China

Where are you in China? That will have a big impact on what you have access to. Personally, I always take over a large supply of lara bars, jerky, and macadamia nuts with me for snacks.

Vegetables, fruit and rice shouldn't be a problem. You should also be able to get fish and roasted chicken/pork at just about any restaurant.

And frankly, I just try to enjoy myself and not worry about whether I'm eating exactly how I would eat at home. It's only a month and it's not going to kill you - so take some time to enjoy some foods that you wouldn't normally eat at home. It wil go a long way towards ingratiating yourself with the locals.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:15 AM   #3
Kristi Folowell

Profile:

[QUOTE=Derek Franks;282530]take some time to enjoy some foods that you wouldn't normally eat at homeQUOTE]

Oh I have been eating plenty of food that I wouldn't normally eat at home. Found a love for the meat stands along the streets, not always sure if it is going to come back and haunt me, but when I can get to them I do. This is actually my second trip out here so I am pretty familiar with what they have, but it is the first time I have been on the zone while out here. I am trying not to stray too far from the path, since my problem is a love of food. Last time I ate way too much (and all of it bad stuff) and ended up gaining weight and feeling pretty yucky. This time I am trying to come out feeling a little bit better (I like how I feel on the zone) and making better choices in what I am eating.

I am currently in Beijing so there is quite a bit available, but the problem I have been running into is that all of our food is provided for us and we are limited on choices. We can get to some of the other resturaunts occasionally. We are also near a supermarket so I am going to go there this week and see what they have along the lines of packable protein since we are traveling to Guilin for a few days by train.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:50 AM   #4
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi Folowell View Post
(Or some strange portion of an animal or animal ie: chicken feet or scorpion) I
Is there any meat on the Chicken Feet, how is it prepared? Now the scorpions could be a tasty pan fried snack. How are they prepared and how do you eat them?

Thanks and keep doing what you're doing, eat local, have fun, wouldn't worry about zone too much, unless you're going to be living there and still want to follow Zone, then you will have to get a handle on it.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #5
Alicia Michel

Profile:

Hey Kristi, James Hull (http://www.board.crossfit.com/member.php?u=2203) is a teacher in Shanghai and might be able to offer some suggestions with food.

You might know this already but here's a list of supermarkets http://www.beijingtrip.com/shop/supermarkets.htm (WFS)... perhaps Carrefour and Wal mart might have some packable protein.

Otherwise I'm with Jay and Derek on not worrying too much. You're doing quite well already avoiding the rice (and probably man tous!) and sticking with meat, veg and fruit.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
Daniel Washburn

Profile:

Kristi, 1st month is always the hardest.

Milk and Yogurt is available at EVERY single convenience store. Pop out to the street, and duck in a Keidi, All-days or Watsons. They're on just about every corner in China, so you shouldn't have too much trouble. If you don't like the Milk here (does taste different) the Chocolate Milk isn't bad.

Try to get hardboiled eggs, you can get sliced Ham just about anywhere too. Cans of Tuna, as well. When you are at dinner, ask for Fish (if possible).

Starbucks has chicken salads, chicken wraps you could grab. And there's always KFC

You can buy Protein Powder, beef jerky, eggs, cans of tuna, cold cuts, mik, yogurt, fish jerky, almonds, at Carrefour. Not sure if they have them in Beijing, but City Market (or City Super) has everything too.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:04 PM   #7
Kristi Folowell

Profile:

Jay Cohen - - -"Is there any meat on the Chicken Feet, how is it prepared? Now the scorpions could be a tasty pan fried snack. How are they prepared and how do you eat them?"

Chicken feet do not have very much meat on them and they are usually prepared through broiling or in a soup style dish. Though I got a little weirded out the other day when the foot looked as though it was trying to escape the dish. As for the scorpions they are also usually deep fried or pan fried and on a stick. Apparently they have no flavor but the fact that they still have their legs attached weirds me out. I will probably try one by the time I leave but that is still up in the air. I figure if the locals won't eat it either then there must be a reason.

Daniel and Alicia,

Thanks I will try to check some of those places out. I have not seen some of the places you named around our local area but I will keep looking. I have seen Starbucks and KFC because that is starting to get like America around Beijing, but would rather stick with local businesses. I remember seeing yogurt at the market near our school the last time I was here so I will stock up on that. Thanks again for the help guys! I really appreciate it.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:11 AM   #8
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Kristi;

Thanks for the reply, have a great week, enjoy the journey.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:18 PM   #9
Daniel Washburn

Profile:

Kristi,

I'm not sure how often you are able to make requests, but here are a few of my favorite dishes, although not exactly Zone friendly.

Mala Dofu (Diced Tofu in a spicy Ma La sauce, excellent with white rice)
Beijing KaoYa (Beijing Duck, or Peking Duck)
BiFeng NiuRou (BBQ'd Beef with some breaded seasoning)
Hot & Sour Soup

From Street Vendors:
Sheng Jian (meat filled fried dumplings)
Rou Bao (meat filled steamed dumplings)
Liang Pi'ar (Cold Noodles)
MalaTang (make-your-own soup, with meats, veggies, and glass noodles)

And you have to try YouTiao, even though it's terrible for you. It's that churro looking fried bread they eat for breakfast.

As far as kinds of places, I particularly like DongBei (Northern China), Sichuan and Hunan food the best. I'm sure there are tons of DongBei restaurants around there, so see if you can check one out. Food is excellent. Also, any Hot Pot place (huo guo), you can eat very Zone friendly. Basically Meat and Veggies. But be sure to cook the meat thoroughly. I have a pretty iron stomach having lived here for a while, and Huo Guo will still "get at me" the next morning. But it's sooo good, well worth it.

Last edited by Daniel Washburn; 03-31-2008 at 08:21 PM..
Old 04-01-2008, 01:04 AM   #10
Kristi Folowell

Profile:

Daniel,

You named some of my favorites, especially the huoguo joints. My current addiction, and was the last time I was here, is the malituanr (fried sesame buns with red bean paste inside). Absolutely horrible for you but so dang good. Also have a love for the Mapo doufu; which I think is the same as your Mala tofu. I have got the guys to try some of the tofu dishes and get away from some of the more fried foods, so I think that should help too. I swung by the market today and found all kinds of good stuff. So I should be good to go now. Looks like I might actually make it to a gym tonight as well so "Fran" can come kick me down and steal my lunch money. By the by if you get the chance to see the movie "ZuoYou(左右)" don't do it. Run away...far, far away.