CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-05-2006, 08:20 AM   #1
Chris MacFarlane

Profile:
Well, just seen a new one at work. Let the axis of silliness continue.
:rofl:
A young woman about 25 just came in and started doing cardio on a bike. Before she started she wraped this big blue thing around her midsection, looks kind of like a WWII flotation belt. Then plugs it in to a wall socket. Now she's spinning away.

Apparently it's a "sauna belt".
What next, the rubber suit?

(Message edited by enduramil on April 05, 2006)
Old 04-05-2006, 08:49 AM   #2
Jason Billows

Profile:
Silly and sad. I know where she's coming from though. Those evil marketing departments are powerful and can easily convince people unhappy with their bodies to buy the next quick fix.

It took me a long time to get out of that vicious cycle and realize that the only way I was going to be healthy was to work hard at it.

Hopefully she sees the light sooner than later.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:03 AM   #3
Chris MacFarlane

Profile:
Oh but wait, it gets even better. Sh has taken over the squat rack. Not to do squats, she found a better use for it. Abs.

She took one of those silly ab balls, swiss balls or whatever their called and appears to be doing crunch's. Has been at it for 20 min.

I know I should say something however I think I'll wait a week. Somehow I don't think giggles and choking sounds from trying not to laugh won't give the right impression.

As XXX once said " I wish I had video camera."
Old 04-05-2006, 01:29 PM   #4
Chris Jordan

Profile:
She's not alone. I drove by a big box gym last night and was amazed to see people fighting for parking space. I completed Fran at home faster than they could park their car and get inside. Once inside I have no idea what they are doing nor how long they are staying. My guess is that I've already showered and read a story to my kids before they have finished their cardio.

I think most people have no idea. I know I didn't. I also think most people are satisfied with pretending they aren't clueless instead of constantly seeking better methods. That's what sets us apart.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:59 PM   #5
Catherine Imes

Profile:
I used to enjoy the gym. My experience at the Gold's in Downtown St. Louis was always positive. Good people were there in the morning and they were always unobtrusive. If I got questions about the kettlebells or something crazy I was doing, it was always positive. However, it wasn't without funny incident. There used to be these two guys that we affectionately called Hans and Franz. They would spit yell at each other while they were on the "seated calf" raise machine..."YOU AIN'T GOT CALVES...YOU AIN'T GOT NOTHIN!". Love those triple negatives. These were also the same gems that would spend 10 minutes wrapping their knees for heavy squats...to do what I can only describe as a sneeze squat...Picture a slight bend in the knees that you can get while sneezing..

CI
Old 04-05-2006, 05:01 PM   #6
Joseph Hart

Profile:
When I was in high school (in MN) 20 years ago. There was a guy at the gym that my brother and I called "pigeon chest" he would load the bar with 225 fold a big towel in 1/3rds put it on his chest and proceed to bench. That involved bouncing the bar off his chest. I move back from CA and go the gym (different one) here in MN (20 years later mind you). Low and behold there is pigeon chest benching the same way. But now he is giving out pointers to any teen knothead that will listen. Small scary world. NOw I workout at home.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:10 PM   #7
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
I'm in Edina MN for work today. Went over to the local big-box (Northwest Crosstown) early this afternoon for Elizabeth. Warmed up and rolled out to the weight area...

Low and behold, at 2:45pm it was totally deserted (2 converted indoor tennis courts worth of space) and there was a platform and bumper plates. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. A litte Nine Inch Nails on the iPod and life was perfect.

Nothing wrong with a commercial big-box...when no one is there.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:59 PM   #8
Travis Hall

Profile:

i gotta agree with matt on that one...

went to the ymca one early saturday morning and it was just me and three other guys. great stuff! did fran right in front of the pullup bar- not off in a corner away from the machines and social circles. even did jumping squats over a benchpress (finally found a use for it...). had a blast!