CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
Cullen Danner
Member Cullen Danner is offline
 
Cullen Danner's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Orlando  FL
Posts: 13
Isabel and lower left back pain

I did Isabel on Monday @ 95 lbs in roughly 3:40. I haven't had any coaching on the snatch so I know my form leaves a lot to be desired, but I thought at 95 lbs how much damage could I do? (a lot is the answer). I usually wod early in the morning, and throughout my work day I actually had zero pain, even going into the night I had nothing. Felt good, then ended up getting, errr, frisky with my wife...a few hours into sleep that night and I awoke feeling a very sharp, semi-excruciating pain in my lower left back. I've had pain here in the past from other athletic injuries, but never close to this intense. I know without posting a video it's hard to diagnose what I really did wrong, but has anyone else experienced this type of injury specifically due to snatching? If so, do you know what you did to induce the injury? Next time, I'm going with the broom handle...
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
Aaron Wayne Campbell
Member Aaron Wayne Campbell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Brenham  TX
Posts: 38
Re: Isabel and lower left back pain

Hmmmm. Hard to say. If you've had injuries in the area in the past you may want to seriously consider a professional eval, bite the bullet and really try to figure out what the problem is so you can learn effective ways to be safer in the future. A lot of people injure themselves on lower weight bc of the exact mentality you describe. Losing focus on form with ligther loads. I think this is what did it for me.

For what it's worth, I herniated a disc (L4-L5) during low wt dead lifts. It bulges to the left. So, my pain is in my left lower back. It gets worse at night after lying still. It's better during the day when i move around. I also had sciatica (nerve pain down the leg). This is a very common injury. You can herniate a disc bending over to pick up a pencil.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
Cullen Danner
Member Cullen Danner is offline
 
Cullen Danner's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Orlando  FL
Posts: 13
Re: Isabel and lower left back pain

My pain gets worse at night too after lying still in bed, but it is relieving itself as the days go by. I have been to a doctor before and he was sure it was only muscular, some sort of strain, and not related to my spine. I'm hoping this was just another of the same sort of isolated strains..which makes me wonder why that part of my body is susceptible, although part of me thinks because I favor my right side so much it simply doesn't do the same workload over time. Anyway, thanks for the response Aaron.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Aaron Wayne Campbell
Member Aaron Wayne Campbell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Brenham  TX
Posts: 38
Re: Isabel and lower left back pain

You're welcome Cullen. Good luck. I have found this book helpful, you may want to check it out. Good execises for strengthening the posterior chain, and back. Might help balance you out.

http://www.amazon.com/Foundation-Red.../dp/1609611004
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
Stephen Carrigan
Member Stephen Carrigan is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Memphis  TN
Posts: 12
Re: Isabel and lower left back pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullen Danner View Post
My pain gets worse at night too after lying still in bed, but it is relieving itself as the days go by. I have been to a doctor before and he was sure it was only muscular, some sort of strain, and not related to my spine. I'm hoping this was just another of the same sort of isolated strains..which makes me wonder why that part of my body is susceptible, although part of me thinks because I favor my right side so much it simply doesn't do the same workload over time. Anyway, thanks for the response Aaron.
Sounds like a spasm of erector muscles that sit right next to the lower lumbar area.

I had this problem playing sports throughout highschool and it feels like someone stabbing me in the lower back in the muscle.

I still have the problem these days but i catch it before it can go into full spasm(usually).
If i feel a little tweak i make a point to address it immediatly before im in for at least a day of pain.

just last week i did a WOD with 50 power cleans @135. Felt good that day but as the soreness in my lower back (normal soreness associated with lifting) subsided within the next few days i felt that pinch and didnt address it in time and by the next night it was in full spasm and locked up, feeling almost like a pulled muscle. I also have this problem in my Rhomboid and lower trapezius while doing heavy strict press if i do not loosen those up properly.
If these sound like the symptoms that you are having then i recommend geting a good roller, lacrosse ball, and having someone massage heavy on the affected area. A heating pad will be your best friend at night.

I recommend A mobility kit. It has everything you need to addressthese issues you are having.
Check this kit out http://mobility-kits.myshopify.com/
Made for CrossFitters by a CrossFitter.

Try these stretches:
Lie on your back and bring one knee you your chest and hold till you feel a good stretch of the problem muscle. It doesnt feel good. Alternate as necessary.

On your knees, then sit down into a crouching position and reach forward to feel the stretch. This is called a Child's pose stretch.

Lie on your back, knees bent, and act as if your "humping the air". Do desired reps. this will help strenghten your lower back for the future.

Prevention is key. Hope this helps
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
Cullen Danner
Member Cullen Danner is offline
 
Cullen Danner's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Orlando  FL
Posts: 13
Re: Isabel and lower left back pain

Aaron, this looks like something I should probably explore. Like I said I've always had some vulnerability in that one area, so focusing on gaining some equilibrium between my right and left sides seems like a good plan. Thanks again.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
Cullen Danner
Member Cullen Danner is offline
 
Cullen Danner's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Orlando  FL
Posts: 13
Re: Isabel and lower left back pain

Stephen,

This sounds exactly like my issue! And puts a name to it as well...I knew it wasn't a strain since after having a good massage it felt MUCH better, but wasn't sure how else to describe it. It truly is a stabbing pain along with severe tightness, but was fairly easily worked out with a good massage. And, as with you, it wasn't until much later in the day that the pain set in. Like you mentioned, if I'd sort of cut it off at the pass that afternoon I think I could have avoided much of the agony. Ultimately though, prevention is definitely the key.

This mobility kit looks awesome. I just recently opened my eyes to the absolute necessity of mobility exercises and could use some basic equipment. It not only seems necessary to avoid injuries, but also to make gains and continue progressing. I finally realized that it's not only strength limitations that hold me back from new pr's, but a lack of mobility.

Thanks also for the exercise suggestions, this was a very helpful response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Carrigan View Post
Sounds like a spasm of erector muscles that sit right next to the lower lumbar area.

I had this problem playing sports throughout highschool and it feels like someone stabbing me in the lower back in the muscle.

I still have the problem these days but i catch it before it can go into full spasm(usually).
If i feel a little tweak i make a point to address it immediatly before im in for at least a day of pain.

just last week i did a WOD with 50 power cleans @135. Felt good that day but as the soreness in my lower back (normal soreness associated with lifting) subsided within the next few days i felt that pinch and didnt address it in time and by the next night it was in full spasm and locked up, feeling almost like a pulled muscle. I also have this problem in my Rhomboid and lower trapezius while doing heavy strict press if i do not loosen those up properly.
If these sound like the symptoms that you are having then i recommend geting a good roller, lacrosse ball, and having someone massage heavy on the affected area. A heating pad will be your best friend at night.

I recommend A mobility kit. It has everything you need to addressthese issues you are having.
Check this kit out http://mobility-kits.myshopify.com/
Made for CrossFitters by a CrossFitter.

Try these stretches:
Lie on your back and bring one knee you your chest and hold till you feel a good stretch of the problem muscle. It doesnt feel good. Alternate as necessary.

On your knees, then sit down into a crouching position and reach forward to feel the stretch. This is called a Child's pose stretch.

Lie on your back, knees bent, and act as if your "humping the air". Do desired reps. this will help strenghten your lower back for the future.

Prevention is key. Hope this helps
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
Stephen Carrigan
Member Stephen Carrigan is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Memphis  TN
Posts: 12
Re: Isabel and lower left back pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullen Danner View Post
Stephen,

This sounds exactly like my issue! And puts a name to it as well...I knew it wasn't a strain since after having a good massage it felt MUCH better, but wasn't sure how else to describe it. It truly is a stabbing pain along with severe tightness, but was fairly easily worked out with a good massage. And, as with you, it wasn't until much later in the day that the pain set in. Like you mentioned, if I'd sort of cut it off at the pass that afternoon I think I could have avoided much of the agony. Ultimately though, prevention is definitely the key.

This mobility kit looks awesome. I just recently opened my eyes to the absolute necessity of mobility exercises and could use some basic equipment. It not only seems necessary to avoid injuries, but also to make gains and continue progressing. I finally realized that it's not only strength limitations that hold me back from new pr's, but a lack of mobility.

Thanks also for the exercise suggestions, this was a very helpful response!
Glad to be of help. Good luck with your training!
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lower back pain when benching - left side John Koshy Exercises 4 04-03-2012 05:36 PM
Left knee and lower back Andrew Chong Injuries 6 10-02-2010 07:59 AM
Lower left back pain Brian Collins Injuries 10 06-03-2009 10:16 AM
Sharp pain on left side of lower back Paul Epstein Injuries 3 07-23-2008 08:12 AM
Left Lower Back Pain Eric Lester Injuries 21 01-27-2008 07:55 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:04 PM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.