CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-22-2005, 07:18 AM   #1
Kris Crowley

Profile:
My normal day is about eighteen hours. I am supposed to eat 16 blocks.

I do really well until I get home from work and it's time to lie down. At that point, it's on to some peanut butter and skim milk. All I need is a spoon and a cup for the milk.

So all in all, I do the zone about 85% of the day. I can't seem to get below 191 lbs. I know I should probably be closer to about 180.

When I did the diet I did for boxing, I lost a lot of weight, but according to Zone, it wasn't the right stuff to eat.

Primarly, I ate the crud out of grape nuts, chicken, peanuts, some peanut butter and a LOT of raisins. From what I understand, I could have been doing my body a lot of harm.

Anyway, I guess this is as close as I'm going to get to the Zone while I'm on this darn rotating shift thing.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:11 AM   #2
Troy Archie

Profile:
A couple of tips that work for me:
-Cook up a bunch of frozen veggies to last you a couple days
-I but an economy sized can of tuna that I empty out into a large tupperware container and use as my protein source throughout the week
-cook up a roast or a bunch of chicken to last a week or so for an other good protein source
Old 09-24-2005, 11:24 AM   #3
Nicole Carroll

Profile:
Kris-
It is possible that your idea of an ideal weight is not really ideal for you. With the muscle gain from the CF workouts and the adequate protein from the diet your ideal weight may be higher than you think it should be. Appearance (leanness) and performance are much better than the scale at determing where you need to be.
That said working nights and not getting adequate sleep will impact weight loss, energy levels etc. It is disruptive and perhaps unrealistic to expect ideal results from less than ideal circumstances. To me it sounds like you are doing great. Hang in there, it is a long game. When circumstances shift you may be able to dial things in a bit more.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:51 PM   #4
Taha Mohamedali

Profile:
Kris,
I second Nicole in that "ideal weight" is a problematic marker. Your body Composition or BF % is a better marker in terms of goal setting.

As for your boxing diet and the workout regimen that went with it, remember that weight loss at the end of the day is a math problem: Calories in has to be less than Calories expended in order to create a systemic caloric deficit and lose some weight. In terms of Zone, as Coach Glassman mentioned in the last CF Seminar.. following the zone 80% will get you 80% of the results. "it's like filling up your car with 80% gas and 20% water" he said.

My thoughts:
- if you can't be in the zone 100% of the time - try harder.
- choose leaner protein sources
- keep the same protein sources and choose less calorically dense carb sources (veggies) and reduce the number of block by 1 or 2..

try any approach for a couple of weeks before you see significant results.

Good luck,
-Taha