CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
Andrew Lallos

Profile:
Scaling gone bad?

Tried to scale down a WOD to fit my level today, here's the original WOD written:

21-15-9
Burpees
53lb kettlebell swings
24" box jumps

My scaling:
15-9-3
Burpees
35lb KB swings
24" box jumps

Now the WOD definitely kicked my butt, however I finished at 6:49 and I don't know if that could be considered over scaling as in I made it too easy. I had too take a few mini breaks to regroup so I def wasn't able to power through without stopping.

I know if I was able to do it as RX'd than the faster the better, but when scaling is necessary on a WOD such as that, what time should I be shooting for before going at it as RX'd?
Old 01-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Scaling gone bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lallos View Post
Tried to scale down a WOD to fit my level today, here's the original WOD written:

21-15-9
Burpees
53lb kettlebell swings
24" box jumps

My scaling:
15-9-3
Burpees
35lb KB swings
24" box jumps

Now the WOD definitely kicked my butt, however I finished at 6:49 and I don't know if that could be considered over scaling as in I made it too easy. I had too take a few mini breaks to regroup so I def wasn't able to power through without stopping.

I know if I was able to do it as RX'd than the faster the better, but when scaling is necessary on a WOD such as that, what time should I be shooting for before going at it as RX'd?
I feel like that looks about right. You are in the right time domain for something like that, I think. Were you pretty tired afterward?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
Alfredo Mendoza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lallos View Post

21-15-9
Burpees
53lb kettlebell swings
24" box jumps

My scaling:
15-9-3
Burpees
35lb KB swings
24" box jumps

I would have scaled this one differently. Instead of scaling down the KB weight, I would have scaled the rep scheme to 15-12-9. If you're able to complete the above WOD in sub-7min, you should challenge yourself with "larger load." Be able to move "large loads long distances quickly." On the other hand, if you're physically incapable of swinging 53lb KB, of course you should consider a weight you can manage but will still challenge you. Good luck!
Old 01-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredo Mendoza View Post
I would have scaled this one differently. Instead of scaling down the KB weight, I would have scaled the rep scheme to 15-12-9. If you're able to complete the above WOD in sub-7min, you should challenge yourself with "larger load." Be able to move "large loads long distances quickly." On the other hand, if you're physically incapable of swinging 53lb KB, of course you should consider a weight you can manage but will still challenge you. Good luck!
I disagree with that. I think that's definitely a sub-7 minute WOD. As RXd, conservatively:

~3 seconds per burpee x 45 = 135 seconds
~2 per swing x 45 = 90 seconds
~3 seconds per box jump x 45 = 135 seconds

135+90+135/60 = 6 minutes
Old 01-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
Andrew Lallos

Profile:

Thanks for all of the replies. I wasn't sure about a) how to scale the reps. 15-12-9 sounds a lot better because as smoked as I was (layed there for a few minutes afterwards) the last round of 3 reps I just blasted out to finish strong.

I definitely needed to scale the weight, but not as much as I did. They had 45lb-ers.

I have a pretty good feel for my abilities, so I would be able to adjust it as necessary. I was just unsure of at what point I'm over scaling and making it too easy to be effective.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
Jon Hanover

Profile:

I'd say that was pretty good given the workout and time frame.

Most workouts like 21-15-9 should be finished quickly. Gain some strength and conditioning with other things... but go balls to the wall during your wod
Old 01-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
Michael Allen

Profile:

When in doubt on a new WOD, scale down.

If you do a WOD once and think you can scale up or Rx, then do so. But be conservative with the first time through.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
Matt Thomas

Profile:

I concur with Jeff and think you did a fine job on the scaling.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #9
Jeck Shen

Profile:

I personally think you're doing fine.

scaling can be tough, I'm learning how to scale my programes too