CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Joseph Alberga

Profile:
Should I Be Scaling Down?

Hey all, still new to Cross Fit after 2 weeks and loving every second of it, but I need some advice from the vet's out there. I consider myself an athlete, and love the way Cross Fit challenges me in the gym in ways I never imagined. Today the WOD was Badger (30 clean squats - 95#, 30 pullups, 800 meter run: 3 rounds for time). I knocked it out, as Rx'ed, but my time was abysmal compared to a lot of the Cross Fitters out there, being 42:00 even. And truthfully, the last bunch of pullups in the 3rd round were ugly. I've found myself about that far behind compared to the other Cross Fitters in other workouts, bringing me to my question: with a Badger time like that, should I be scaling down? I know I'm new, and many of these exercises are new to me, and the extreme-high repetitions are also new challenges, so obviously it'll take practice. But should I scale down in the mean time, or should I just keep hackin' away as Rx'ed until my times get better?
Old 06-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
Ralston Baker

Profile:
Re: Should I Be Scaling Down?

I would scale initially until your body adapts to that kind of stress.

For a WOD like Badger I would scale back to where you can complete your version of the WOD in around the same time domain as a "good" crossfitter. That way you are getting roughly the same response. I prefer to see shorter periods of intensity then long drawn out workouts were the athlete is not putting out and resting too much... Thats my opinion!

As for weights, I would scale back until the weight is moving fast and technique is improving before you tackle heavier WODs. Kind of the same thing that I said above. For example, you don't want to have a 10 minute Grace! Lower the weight, keep the intensity high, good technique, and finish the workout in under 4 minutes. THis logic can be applied to any WOD

42 minutes is WAY TOO LONG for any workout, especially if you just began. I personally never do anything longer than 20 minutes.

Welcome, and keep up the good work!
M/ 26/ 5'11/ 190lbs Fran:2:11 Squat (High Bar):500 C&J:356# Snatch: 264# FSquat:420 Grace: 1:38
Old 06-18-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
Joseph Alberga

Profile:

Alright cool, thanks. Just out curiosity, since your numbers are giving me the idea that you're kinda runnin' the show, when you first started Cross Fit, were you very familiar with the exercises already, and were you struggling as much as I am? I really can't believe how good some of you guys are at it, these times are unreal. 2 weeks ago before I started Cross Fit, I thought was a prime specimen of an athlete. To say that I'm humbled is an understatement.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
Ralston Baker

Profile:

I was familiar with a lot of the olympic lifts. I started learning them at the age of 14. It really depends on what you were doing before. I played football my entire life, and after college started with Crossfit. Football gave me a strong strength and power foundation and I could did fairly well with the WODs under 5 minutes right from the start, but the longer WODs definitely gave me a LOT of trouble. THEY STILL DO! I just love olympic lifting and prefer the shorter / heavier metcons, but everyone is different...

That being said, if you are eating right, resting enough, and consistent you will be surprised how fast you will adapt.
M/ 26/ 5'11/ 190lbs Fran:2:11 Squat (High Bar):500 C&J:356# Snatch: 264# FSquat:420 Grace: 1:38
Old 06-18-2011, 10:16 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Alberga View Post
Hey all, still new to Cross Fit after 2 weeks and loving every second of it, but I need some advice from the vet's out there. I consider myself an athlete, and love the way Cross Fit challenges me in the gym in ways I never imagined. Today the WOD was Badger (30 clean squats - 95#, 30 pullups, 800 meter run: 3 rounds for time). I knocked it out, as Rx'ed, but my time was abysmal compared to a lot of the Cross Fitters out there, being 42:00 even. And truthfully, the last bunch of pullups in the 3rd round were ugly. I've found myself about that far behind compared to the other Cross Fitters in other workouts, bringing me to my question: with a Badger time like that, should I be scaling down? I know I'm new, and many of these exercises are new to me, and the extreme-high repetitions are also new challenges, so obviously it'll take practice. But should I scale down in the mean time, or should I just keep hackin' away as Rx'ed until my times get better?
If you have to ask, you probably should scale.

Not only do very long workouts often defeat the purpose of the workout, but doing a workout that's so far "out of your league" dramatically increases your injury risk.

Brand X -- linked from the main page -- posts scaled versions of the daily workouts.

Katherine
Old 06-19-2011, 04:18 AM   #6
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

42:00 is not abysmal.

The vast majority of results, for men, on Beyond the White Board fell between 26:00 and 44:00. There is a reporting bias in this as well. Better CrossFitters are more likely to report their scores.

You could have been a candidate for small scaling. Maybe less reps or less weight.

20 #95 squat cleans
20 Pull ups
800m run

for three rounds

That is about it. Of course if you are waking up very sore or can not maintain back position on the squat cleans then scaling weight is important. Safety first.

This is a Hero WOD it is meant to be long and heavy.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:25 AM   #7
Joseph Alberga

Profile:

Thanks guys. I can't wait to see how I compare 6 months from now. I'm going to tear this thing apart.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
Dan Bosco

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
42:00 is not abysmal.

The vast majority of results, for men, on Beyond the White Board fell between 26:00 and 44:00. There is a reporting bias in this as well. Better CrossFitters are more likely to report their scores.

You could have been a candidate for small scaling. Maybe less reps or less weight.

20 #95 squat cleans
20 Pull ups
800m run

for three rounds

That is about it. Of course if you are waking up very sore or can not maintain back position on the squat cleans then scaling weight is important. Safety first.

This is a Hero WOD it is meant to be long and heavy.
excillent points! couldent have said it better myself!