CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
Alexander Hardt

Profile:
Competitive Bodybuilder to CrossFit saying hello.

I have been a competitive bodybuilder for 4 years and I think itís time for a change. Every year Iíve given up 1/3 of my year (16 weeks) and have dedicated it to prepping for a show. This time around, I think I have reached my breaking point. Iím ready to live a Ďnormalí life year round, cut loose with my food and kick back a few now and then. Iím also starting to realize that I am lacking on my flexibility and (when bulking) cardio. Iím at the point where Iíd rather be a good all-around athlete and not worry so much about Ďbeing bigí. Iím not a big guy to begin with. Iím 5í7Ē, walk around at ~185lbs. and compete around 165lbs. My last show will be this Saturday and then I will start my on ramp at a local affiliate the first of November.

I had a question regarding diet. Do I really need to change my diet when doing CF? I would assume that I could add more carbs since I will be doing much more cardio than Iím used to. I know some are thinking, Ďhow do I know what to change if I donít know what it is to begin withí. I get it, but what is a typical CF diet? I usually stay around 350g protein, 250g carbs, 200g fatÖ.or in that ballpark. I donít go full paleo, but Iíve been following John Meadows who encourages a paleo-like diet with some grains.

-Xander
Old 10-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Eric G Taylor

Profile:
Re: Competitive Bodybuilder to CrossFit saying hello.

Well first thing first welcome to the site bro and hope you have fun and find all the info your looking for. I wish i could tell you that youre right about not giving up your life anymore but unfortunately I have bad news for you. If you like I think you are, are already a competitive person youre just giving up bodybuilding comps for CF comps. Probably just as much prep and training as the latter.

As far as eating I would say youre already on a good track. the best thing to do is use the Zone block calculator than go from there. I dont do Paleo so I cant tell you much about it. Zone is a little easier to deal with and a lot more forgiving and I have my own thoughts on people who say they are strict paleo then proceed to tell me how to make brownies and cookies. Didnt know cavewomen had access to ovens and cookie dough, but to each their own. I think you will find what your diet is doing to your body and overall performance. If you have a workout that sucks one day and you feel slugish then tweak your intake some. If you feel good with what it is you put out that day then stick with that. The best thing is your body will do all the talking for you. I eat about 4-5 times a day and try to limit myself on snacks. I know you already drink plenty of water so youre good. Like i said I would just do the work and let my body tell me what i need to fuel it since you already have a good base.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Alexander Hardt

Profile:

Thanks for your reply, I would think that prepping for a CF comp (which I MAY do a long time from now) would be a lot different from BB prep. My prep was 3 servings of carbs a day. Thats not a lot for a CFer. I'd be prepping for a time and not really for a look.

I'm basically getting out of the sport because I'd rather enjoy my life, socially, more. I'm not saying that I want to go out and get wasted every weekend. But with CF i'll be able to eat a little more freely and drink a little more socially. I also prep every year in late summer thru fall. I've given up a lot of the fall 'festivities' these past few years: October fests, chilli cook offs, etc...
Old 10-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

I would think that coming from a BB background you have a pretty firm grasp on how to cut/gain weight through diet. So I wouldn't get too caught up in eating zone or eating paleo or primal or ketosis etc. Eat meat, fruits and veggies, cut out the crap. Don't be afraid of grains and you'll be fine. It really is that simple.
Certian folks in the CF community can get into a "can't see the forest for trees" mentality, especially when it comes to diet, just be prepared for it.

As for "prep" time on the workout side you probably won't spend as much time training as you did bodybuilding. The instensity of CF workouts (metcons) don't lend themselves to longer time domains. Basically if you're going over about 20 minutes doing a CF workout (weightlifting/strength workouts excluded) you're doing it wrong.