CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
Andrew Dossman
Member Andrew Dossman is offline
 
Andrew Dossman's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antonio  TX
Posts: 170
Need Major Help!

ok guys so i started helping this kid i met train. He is 308 pounds under 5'7 i would say and 17 years old. I started putting him on some extremely scaled back WODS, for i worry over doing it will tear muscles and joints, as it seems he has never used them and really could do a lot of damage to himself just because he is so heavy.

Ive never seen drive from a kid like this, we had him doing one workout and not exaggerating must have thrown up 20 to 25 times. He just kept going even after we asked him to please stop. So i got respect for him being so motivated.

I need a good diet to draw up this kid. I was wondering if the normal zone is what i would use in this situation. He works detailing cars during the day and they dont have a fridge there...altho i could see if he can bring a cooler. But he is just so large i wasnt sure if normal zone was way to go. If it is i guess i just tell him to cut back the number of times he eats a day.

Anyway please give me some tips!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Travis Earp
Member Travis Earp is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Jose  CA
Posts: 224
Re: Need Major Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Dossman View Post
ok guys so i started helping this kid i met train. He is 308 pounds under 5'7 i would say and 17 years old. I started putting him on some extremely scaled back WODS, for i worry over doing it will tear muscles and joints, as it seems he has never used them and really could do a lot of damage to himself just because he is so heavy.

Ive never seen drive from a kid like this, we had him doing one workout and not exaggerating must have thrown up 20 to 25 times. He just kept going even after we asked him to please stop. So i got respect for him being so motivated.

I need a good diet to draw up this kid. I was wondering if the normal zone is what i would use in this situation. He works detailing cars during the day and they dont have a fridge there...altho i could see if he can bring a cooler. But he is just so large i wasnt sure if normal zone was way to go. If it is i guess i just tell him to cut back the number of times he eats a day.

Anyway please give me some tips!
How much is he eating per day? If he's eating a **** ton of food, then baseline zone, zone + 2x fat and zone + 3x fat probably isn't going to be very fulfilling for the guy.

Get a rough estimate on what he's eating throughout the day and go from there. Get him eating good, whole, solid food first. He should see drastic changes just from doing that. If you want him to take the zone approach, go slow. Start him at like 25-27 (or more?) blocks and then slowly cut some blocks over a long period of time until he's comfortable with eating smaller amounts of food.

Hopefully someone else can chime in with a bit more experience.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
Jason David
Affiliate Jason David is offline
 
Jason David's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Clair Shores  MI
Posts: 3,037
Re: Need Major Help!

With him just tell him to start by cutting out bread, rice, noodles, regular soft drinks, juice and sweets.

Tell him he can cheat 3 meals or 1 day per week...

If he is good for a month hit him with paleo.

Tell him to limit alcohol too...and if he smokes he needs to stop.
__________________
www.stclairshorescrossfit.com

Last edited by Jason David : 07-02-2009 at 04:14 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
Gant Grimes
Departed Gant Grimes is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 1970
 
Posts: 1,549
Re: Need Major Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Dossman View Post
Ive never seen drive from a kid like this, we had him doing one workout and not exaggerating must have thrown up 20 to 25 times. He just kept going even after we asked him to please stop. So i got respect for him being so motivated.
This one the most disappointing things I've read on here. An inexperienced morbidly obese kid came to you for help, and you allowed him to throw up 20-25 times? Grow some stones, take control, and tell your client, in no uncertain terms, that the workout ends if you day it's over. It's not a game. If you wanna be the guy, you have to act like it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:40 PM   #5
Brian Dolan
Member Brian Dolan is offline
 
Brian Dolan's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Palm Beach  FL
Posts: 276
Re: Need Major Help!

Small diet chanes at first and MAJOR scaling...
__________________
The great threats to this country are sophistry...spirit of party...and the pestilence of foreign influence. -John Adams
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:50 AM   #6
Jay Cohen
Member Jay Cohen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sharpsville  PA
Posts: 3,384
Re: Need Major Help!

Agree with other replies, including Gants.

This kid has an eating disorder, forget zone and forget the killer workouts that cause someone to puke their guts out.

Review food choices, pass out some reading material, get him walking, add in some barbell work, some basic CF moves, set targets on paper. Avg weight loss should be in the 1-2 lbs per week, 6 months, this kid should be down 30-50 lbs, if you don't kill him first.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
Andrew Dossman
Member Andrew Dossman is offline
 
Andrew Dossman's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antonio  TX
Posts: 170
Re: Need Major Help!

I understand what you guys are saying, trust me i wont let him do a workout like the one i had him doing before again. It was my fault not seeing how out of shape he truly was. Im getting him now to write down what he eats in a 48 hour period so i know what to cut off there.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
Jack Gayton
Member Jack Gayton is offline
 
Jack Gayton's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Walden  NY
Posts: 737
Re: Need Major Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Agree with other replies, including Gants.

This kid has an eating disorder, forget zone and forget the killer workouts that cause someone to puke their guts out.

Review food choices, pass out some reading material, get him walking, add in some barbell work, some basic CF moves, set targets on paper. Avg weight loss should be in the 1-2 lbs per week, 6 months, this kid should be down 30-50 lbs, if you don't kill him first.
Good advice Jay.

You also have to be a little concerned that his "drive" isn't just another facet of a compulsive disorder that drove him to be 300 lbs.

Just be really careful dude.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:55 AM   #9
Doug Blankenship
Member Doug Blankenship is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Las Vegas  NV
Posts: 1,306
Re: Need Major Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Dossman View Post
It was my fault not seeing how out of shape he truly was.
Quote:
He is 308 pounds under 5'7 i would say and 17 years old.
No offense. But, you do know exactly how out of shape he was. Why on earth would you allow someone to continue if they kept throwing up like that?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:28 PM   #10
Paul Wilk
Banned Paul Wilk is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Clemente  CA
Posts: 8
Re: Need Major Help!

ABSOLUTELY ZONE DIET! Just ask the spammer

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 08-31-2009 at 10:27 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
college major Chris Sinagoga Running a CrossFit Facility 23 01-07-2009 08:29 AM
Squat Clean - need major help Dan Stuewe Digital Coaching 4 06-10-2008 01:39 PM
Major Grip tool... Stephen Macioci Community 1 05-02-2008 08:06 AM
A Major Step in the Right Direction Ken Patterson Starting 0 04-14-2008 10:57 AM
Major changes Sarena Kopciel Testimonials 8 01-08-2007 08:40 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.