CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
Andrew Dossman

Profile:
Need Major Help!

ok guys so i started helping this kid i met train. He is 308 pounds under 5'7 i would say and 17 years old. I started putting him on some extremely scaled back WODS, for i worry over doing it will tear muscles and joints, as it seems he has never used them and really could do a lot of damage to himself just because he is so heavy.

Ive never seen drive from a kid like this, we had him doing one workout and not exaggerating must have thrown up 20 to 25 times. He just kept going even after we asked him to please stop. So i got respect for him being so motivated.

I need a good diet to draw up this kid. I was wondering if the normal zone is what i would use in this situation. He works detailing cars during the day and they dont have a fridge there...altho i could see if he can bring a cooler. But he is just so large i wasnt sure if normal zone was way to go. If it is i guess i just tell him to cut back the number of times he eats a day.

Anyway please give me some tips!
Old 07-02-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Travis Earp

Profile:
Re: Need Major Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Dossman View Post
ok guys so i started helping this kid i met train. He is 308 pounds under 5'7 i would say and 17 years old. I started putting him on some extremely scaled back WODS, for i worry over doing it will tear muscles and joints, as it seems he has never used them and really could do a lot of damage to himself just because he is so heavy.

Ive never seen drive from a kid like this, we had him doing one workout and not exaggerating must have thrown up 20 to 25 times. He just kept going even after we asked him to please stop. So i got respect for him being so motivated.

I need a good diet to draw up this kid. I was wondering if the normal zone is what i would use in this situation. He works detailing cars during the day and they dont have a fridge there...altho i could see if he can bring a cooler. But he is just so large i wasnt sure if normal zone was way to go. If it is i guess i just tell him to cut back the number of times he eats a day.

Anyway please give me some tips!
How much is he eating per day? If he's eating a **** ton of food, then baseline zone, zone + 2x fat and zone + 3x fat probably isn't going to be very fulfilling for the guy.

Get a rough estimate on what he's eating throughout the day and go from there. Get him eating good, whole, solid food first. He should see drastic changes just from doing that. If you want him to take the zone approach, go slow. Start him at like 25-27 (or more?) blocks and then slowly cut some blocks over a long period of time until he's comfortable with eating smaller amounts of food.

Hopefully someone else can chime in with a bit more experience.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
Jason David

Profile:

With him just tell him to start by cutting out bread, rice, noodles, regular soft drinks, juice and sweets.

Tell him he can cheat 3 meals or 1 day per week...

If he is good for a month hit him with paleo.

Tell him to limit alcohol too...and if he smokes he needs to stop.

Last edited by Jason David : 07-02-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
This one the most disappointing things I've read on here. An inexperienced morbidly obese kid came to you for help, and you allowed him to throw up 20-25 times? Grow some stones, take control, and tell your client, in no uncertain terms, that the workout ends if you day it's over. It's not a game. If you wanna be the guy, you have to act like it.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:40 PM   #5
Brian Dolan

Profile:

Small diet chanes at first and MAJOR scaling...
Old 07-03-2009, 01:50 AM   #6
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Agree with other replies, including Gants.

This kid has an eating disorder, forget zone and forget the killer workouts that cause someone to puke their guts out.

Review food choices, pass out some reading material, get him walking, add in some barbell work, some basic CF moves, set targets on paper. Avg weight loss should be in the 1-2 lbs per week, 6 months, this kid should be down 30-50 lbs, if you don't kill him first.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
Andrew Dossman

Profile:

I understand what you guys are saying, trust me i wont let him do a workout like the one i had him doing before again. It was my fault not seeing how out of shape he truly was. Im getting him now to write down what he eats in a 48 hour period so i know what to cut off there.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
Jack Gayton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Agree with other replies, including Gants.

This kid has an eating disorder, forget zone and forget the killer workouts that cause someone to puke their guts out.

Review food choices, pass out some reading material, get him walking, add in some barbell work, some basic CF moves, set targets on paper. Avg weight loss should be in the 1-2 lbs per week, 6 months, this kid should be down 30-50 lbs, if you don't kill him first.
Good advice Jay.

You also have to be a little concerned that his "drive" isn't just another facet of a compulsive disorder that drove him to be 300 lbs.

Just be really careful dude.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:55 AM   #9
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
It was my fault not seeing how out of shape he truly was.
Quote:
He is 308 pounds under 5'7 i would say and 17 years old.
No offense. But, you do know exactly how out of shape he was. Why on earth would you allow someone to continue if they kept throwing up like that?
Old 08-31-2009, 03:28 PM   #10
Paul Wilk

Profile:

ABSOLUTELY ZONE DIET! Just ask the spammer

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 08-31-2009 at 10:27 PM.